• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Flashdance Reviews

Carlos M

December 31, 2009
Beals has talent and charisma but she cannot save a paper-thin plot (full of unnecessary scenes and secondary characters) that is only an excuse for a long series of music video scenes, and the upbeat last dance scene is only there to make us leave it with a satisfied heart.
Alexander D

September 10, 2011
Review coming soon.
Nicki M

January 16, 2008
Really is light on plot, but couldn't hate it. Cute 80's movie. Most of the dancing is cheesy, but some is interesting. Ending is cute. Extra star for the dog!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 3, 2010
Take your passion... And make it happen!

Good movie! Flashdance is one of those must see movies if you wanna see the important films of the 80's. I just wanted to see what this movie was about since it's such a huge part of film culture. Jennifer Beals actually did a great job as Alex, she was absolutely beautiful and made the character very likable. While this film did not live up to my expectations, it still was a good film. It has an awesome sound track and really is a lot of fun to dance too. If you love the 80's movies and music you gotta see this one!

Alex Owens is a female dynamo: steel worker by day, exotic dancer by night. Her dream is to get into a real dance company, though, and with encouragement from her boss/boyfriend, she may get her chance. The city of Pittsburgh co-stars. What a feeling!
Lady D

August 4, 2006
Such a well known 80's film and yet this is my first viewing! Of course the iconic soundtrack is instantly recognisable, as are some of the dance moves and there is some kind of back story with edging it's way through, but true enough it is corny and tacky like many 80's films, yet something drives me to watch them.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Another classic 80's movie! A must see!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Maybe I just hate dance movies, but I found this movie really boring, and the end especially disappointing. People who like dance movies may like it, but if you're only watching it for the romance, it's not that great.
Conner R

September 18, 2010
The female Top Gun, you either get it or you don't. Trying to judge this movie as a serious dramatic piece is just stupid, this was made to be fun and show a heartwarming tale. Jennifer Beals is perfection, that is all. The most adorable and determined 80s girl, she reaches for the stars. The dance scenes are unmatched, just wonderfully shot and original. This is not a chick flick at all, not even close. Anyone can appreciate how awesome this movie is, it's just that good.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
A great dance movie. Great music and just an incredible story. :) I absolutely love it!!! :)
Anthony L

January 22, 2010
Flashdance is just your average typical 'slutty-welder-wants-to-become-a-ballet-dancer' movie really. It made me nostalgic watching this last night, the 80's were quite fun really. It is very dated now but In it defence, you can't call it cliched because it actually got there first with many of the scenes. Classic fromage from back in the day, enjoy it for what it is, if not for all the ladies bottoms ;o)
Phil H

November 4, 2009
One of the classic 80's dance 'trilogy' but probably the worst of the three, the other two being Dirty Dancing and Footloose. Like the others this has a great soundtrack (with top main song) and some nice dancing sequences but unlike the other two it has dated badly and looks abit tacky nowadays.
Beals is cute as punch all the way through, you just wanna hug her haha less said about the very obvious wigged dance double the better, whilst the rest of the cast are so so. The plot is really silly but obviously aimed at young girls and gives a nice message of dreams, spirit and to always try your best and don't give up :) happy stuff.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

June 25, 2009
I had remembered REALLY enjoying this as a teenager, so I thought I'd give it a re-watch (a la the DVR).
I would have to say that in hindsight, the music and the amazingly cheesy 80's dance numbers that the girls at MAWBRY'S perform at various point's throughout the film are deffinately the "high points".
Sure Jennifer Beals is adorable, but the scenes where her (be-wigged) "dance double" is dancing as her are just painfully obvious. Especially during the final "audition" routine.
And sure Michael Nouri is handsome and charming as the older love interest. They never actually say how old he is supposed to be, but the difference is considerable. Given the fact that he is her boss and that they go out of their way to mention that Alex (Beals) is just 18...the whole relationship just never feels quite right.
The writing is predictable and at times horribly trite. But I still find something likable about the film. I guess I'm a sucker for nostalgia?
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

April 4, 2009
CLASSIC! 80s! bit boring @ some points...
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
A "must-see" film in 1983. Unfortunately, it has not withstood the test of time.
garyX
garyX

April 30, 2007
Contrived 80s pap featuring Jennifer Beals writhing around on the floor in a leotard. At a pinch I'd say I found the welding more entertaining.
deano
deano

April 29, 2007
All highly incredible, but on the credit side is the charming performance of Jennifer Beals (though rumour has it that her highly acrobatic dancing was done by an un-named double) and the several flashy modern dance numbers.
Lanning :

March 23, 2006
Finding out that Beals didn't do her own dancing was a downer.
Dann M

December 30, 2013
"She's a maniac, maniac on the floor..." Jennifer Beals stars in the classic '80s romantic comedy Flashdance. The story follows a steel-mill worker named Alex who moonlights as an exotic dancer, but dreams of joining a professional ballet company. The dance choreography is especially good, and adds a lot of energy and excitement to the film. Additionally, the soundtrack is amazing; features such pop hits as "Gloria," "What A Feeling," and "Maniac." Fun and charming, Flashdance is a little cheesy, but has a lot of heart.
Dannielle A

April 26, 2010
A piece of crap. The dances were great and the music too but that's the only good part of this film. Alex is portrayed in this movie as an innocent young girl who loves to dance and wants to be a ballerina but is not self-confident enough. Her worst sin that she has to confess to the priest is a little white lie to her elderly friend Hannah and that she thinks about sex a lot. However, it is a contradiction because she works at a night club where she strips down to practically nothing as she dances erotically. Then, later in the movie, she rescues a friend who is dancing at a nude night club and is supposedly portrayed better than this girl because Alex is wearing at least a shred of clothing. (In my opinion, Alex is no better than the nude girl. What a hypocrite.) Later, she is talking to her male friend about "seeing music" in her head and she talks about this dreamily with an innocent smile on her face as she is taking off her bra underneath her shirt. She is supposed to be all innocent as she does this but anyone knows that she's a whore who is playing at being a cutesy naive girl in order to get in his pants. Then she ends up passionate making out with him, letting him touch her breast, and then finally sleeping with him. It grosses me out because he's this 30 or 40 something divorced man and she's this 18 year old kid. It's so nasty.
James C

January 20, 2013
Alex (Jennifer Beales) is a young woman with two jobs. A welder by day and an exotic dancer by night (at the most creative strip club ever conceived). She wants to get into ballet school and must overcome her fears in order to do so.

Yes, the story is a fairy tale cliche, the acting is not brilliant and the plot is super thin but I feel that there is a lot more to Flashdance than that. It is usually put into the same bracket as Showgirls, Barbe Wire and other BAD movies. I feel that this is not the case and it is largely underrated.

The dance sequences are amazing as is the soundtrack.The soundtrack is an impressive asset of Flashdance, and it won an Academy Award for best original song for "What a Feeling". I love the first scene in the club. The music is awesome, the dancing is sexy, the cinematography is inventive and the water is iconic.

The movie is a lot darker than it lets on. There is a lot of crude sexual imagery, such as when Beals removes her bra from underneath her infamous sweater while on a date with her boss, or the scene in which she dines at a table, and erotically sucks on pieces of lobster meat.

I find Flashdance a kind of female version of Rocky. From the title sequence, theme song, having one chance to make it big, the location (Pittsburgh) playing a part, montage, etc but dancing instead of boxing gloves. All Alex needed to do was cry out "AAADDDRRRIIIAAANNN" at the end of her audition and it would have been perfect. But as it stands I just love the audition scene anyway.

Flashdance is more than just a time capsule of the 80s. It is a musically-themed picture infused with eroticism, spandex, pop music and a message to follow your dreams that comes through loud and clear. For me this is the most important part of the story and the basis of the movie. Over-coming fear of rejection and pursuing your dreams and passions; "When you give up your dream, you die", Take your passion and make it happen."