Flight Reviews

November 6, 2012
Wow...I just watched 2 completely different movies, the one that is advertised is not the one that it is. The story is very thin for a 2 hour movie, but, and this is a HUGE but, Denzel Washington is incredible, absolutely amazing. He can almost guarantee an Oscar nomination for this, and rightfully so. The movie itself is, OK but not great. It is being advertised as an action/thriller, but it is most definitely not, it is a character study of a man that denies that he has an alcohol addiction and the consequences that revolve around him. It is a well made movie, but it is not a great movie, it just has an amazing performance by a 5 star actor that makes everything else not matter. RECOMMENDED for Denzel's performance alone.
December 17, 2014
Made me want to start drinking again. And also learn to fly an airplane. When I'm drunk. Denzel just has to play himself in this movie.
½ June 26, 2012
Both gripping and made-for-TV bland. Denzel's great performance and a truly terrifying plane crash sequence help elevate what could have been hallmark melodrama.
July 20, 2015
Flight effectively shows the audience what a life of an alcoholic is like. The movie starts with a breathtaking plane crash but portrays with more importance the outcomes of the aftermath. Washington's depiction of Captain Whitaker is detailed and complex. He really nailed the alcoholic's aggressive but depressed attitude. Robert Zemeckis made another live action live drama but doesn't really reach the standard to other previous movies he made in the past. However, I highly recommend this movie to people who loves the right/wrong moral choice of a life kind of movie.
July 19, 2015
This thing is awful. Love DW & JG, but not this time.
½ July 13, 2015
mostly great, hokey ending derailed it
½ May 30, 2014
Flight is very moving, with an incredible performance by Denzel Washington and an excellent script this could make a great Zemeckis film. Well I don't see it as one of his best just more or less just another drama film. Many things in this film didn't seem like so incredibly special to me, but I'm glad I saw it.
July 2, 2015
Very heartfelt and emotional, Denzel Washington manages to make me like him more as an actor able to step into the roles like he does.
June 12, 2015
This is a Denzel movie. You know there's going to be a high level of quality. Plus, Robert Zemeckis is the director, making for a stellar combination. Don't be fooled by the amazing sequence in the plane at the beginning. This is not an action movie, but a character-study with Denzel as the lead is never a bad thing.
October 10, 2012
Excellent! Flight is an intelligently written character drama with a winning performance from Denzel Washington. It's great to see Robert Zemeckis take a break from the motion capture computer-animated movies. Here he creates a drama about real people and their problems. Excellently made.
May 19, 2015
Well acted drama, about, addiction, recovery, and then taking responsibility for personal failings.
½ May 18, 2015
Robert Zemeckis's Flight is a very great movie that is quite a character study. Denzel Washington is fantastic in it and always try to make his roles some meaning to it. John Goodman, Don Cheadle, and Bruce Greenwood are great too, and John Goodman's character is something that has kind of never done before for him. When it got to the plane scene, I think it's one of the most intense scenes I ever seen in a movie for a long time. It felt like you were in the plane with them, and it's the right thing to see Denzel Washington's character act very calm and try to land the plane. Robert Zemeckis and John Gatins really know how to make a main character that's flawed, but you can tell that the character is trying to be what he doesn't want to be. There were a few characters that were honesty a bit pointless, even if they are good characters. With that said, Flight is an entertaining film that shows that Robert Zemeckis isn't running out of ideas and is apparently back on track.
February 17, 2013
Flight is a lot different than it looks in the trailer. It turns out to be a well directed drama film about the struggling pilot under trial for convicted murder in Denzel Washington. Its strong, powerful, and rividing thorughout the entire movie.
½ May 2, 2015
A familar story of addiction, lies, betrayal, relapse and redemption. But this time, we hear this story through the eyes of a man, we would otherwise perceive as a hero. Flight is an enthralling movie. I gotta say it again, Denzel is the reason to see this. He's does a fantastic job, and plays a believable drunk. The first 20 minutes or so are absolutely spellbinding. Hands down, the scariest plane crash scene in a movie.. well, that isn't United 93. This the Zemeckis movie we've wanted since Cast Away, but never got. All he needed to do was to put down his computer, his dot covered outfits and the rest of his magical gadgets, and just make a real movie. He's proven us that he can still cut it in real life.
June 27, 2014
Denzel Washington's captivating performance does much to elevate Flight above its poorly paced, Oscar-baiting script.
½ August 15, 2013
An always fascinating and often powerful character study of addiction and morality.
½ April 23, 2015
Starts with a bang and ends with a whimper! Although the flight in question is nerve bracingly tense, this is not what I was expecting and is more concerned with consequences rather than thrill - Denzel is brilliant as always though
April 15, 2015
Wow, Denzel just gets better with age. I enjoyed this from start to finish & it didn't even have to contain much action, haha.
April 13, 2015
While its running time is a bit overlong and the story has some fails, there is no denying that the alcohol and drugs addiction study in 'Flight', helped by one of Denzel Washington's best performances in his career, is more than enough to make this film a must-see for adult audiences.
November 22, 2012
Robert Zemeckis' first live-action film since 2000's Cast Away might just be his most mature and grounded movie in his career. The entire sequence that takes place on the plane in the beginning of the film is absolutely horrifying and very well-handled (feels like a reminiscence of the crash scene from Cast Away), and Denzel Washington's performance is powerful and simply brilliant. There are a couple of underdeveloped characters, particularly Kelly Reilly's Nicole, and the melodrama aspect seems unnecessary. Flight is flawed, but never less compelling and does succeed to raise ethical questions. And the resolution is perfect.