Flight Reviews

½ August 15, 2013
An always fascinating and often powerful character study of addiction and morality.
½ April 23, 2015
Starts with a bang and ends with a whimper! Although the flight in question is nerve bracingly tense, this is not what I was expecting and is more concerned with consequences rather than thrill - Denzel is brilliant as always though
April 15, 2015
Wow, Denzel just gets better with age. I enjoyed this from start to finish & it didn't even have to contain much action, haha.
April 13, 2015
While its running time is a bit overlong and the story has some fails, there is no denying that the alcohol and drugs addiction study in 'Flight', helped by one of Denzel Washington's best performances in his career, is more than enough to make this film a must-see for adult audiences.
November 22, 2012
Robert Zemeckis' first live-action film since 2000's Cast Away might just be his most mature and grounded movie in his career. The entire sequence that takes place on the plane in the beginning of the film is absolutely horrifying and very well-handled (feels like a reminiscence of the crash scene from Cast Away), and Denzel Washington's performance is powerful and simply brilliant. There are a couple of underdeveloped characters, particularly Kelly Reilly's Nicole, and the melodrama aspect seems unnecessary. Flight is flawed, but never less compelling and does succeed to raise ethical questions. And the resolution is perfect.
February 17, 2013
Good movie. Interesting plot and Denzel is at his best and really makes the movie great.
March 31, 2015
Coming from someone who is afraid of flying, it was a good movie.
½ March 31, 2015
Seeing Denzel play such a complex character was enough to keep me into it. Wow is how I felt about his portrayal. Seeing someone so out on control yet pulling it together enough to be in control in certain situations and circumstances makes for an enthralling aspect of the movie.
March 29, 2015
Still as good as the first time i watched this movie , great acting by Denzel ...interesting times to watch this movie ? SOMDVD
½ March 27, 2015
1, 2, 3, Drink vodka when you see this one.
½ March 23, 2015
This was one of those movie you feel like wasting a few bucks for something that's somehow predictable in a sense, there were obvious ones but for the most part, the movie was written and directed intelligently. This was really great.!! TBH,,
March 20, 2015
Boredom is a disease worse than cancer, drugs and alcohol cure it...with little or no ill side effects if used as directed. - Dough Stanhope

The film "Flight" directed by Robert Zemeckis (Cast Away, Death Becomes Her, Contact, Forrest Gump, The Frightners) and starring Denzel Washington (Training Day, Man on Fire, Philadelphia, The Bone Collector, Book of Eli) was supposed to be, a hero drama wrapped inside a subjective social commentary about the pitfalls and self-destructive nature of addiction, Denzel portrays Whip Whitaker, an airline pilot who miraculously crash lands his plane after it suffers an in-flight mechanical failure, saving nearly everyone on board. Immediately following the crash, he's hailed as a hero, but an investigation soon leads to questions that paints the captain in a different light.

During the investigation the lead NTSB investigator states that no other pilot was able to successfully land the flight simulation of the crash without killing everyone on board. Just to clarify every other SOBER person would have not been able to save even one life had they been at the helm of the titular "Flight" and in spite of having cocaine which probably kept him alert enough to fight the controls of the aircraft upside down and vodka in his system (which most likely calmed his nerves just enough to land the plane he was able to save lives. So my question argument with this movie is one that ironically even in the face of the obvious and glaring evidence, no one seems willing to ask is simply this...

Based on all the evidence provided, it is logical to assume that if he had not been doing drugs and alcohol that morning/afternoon, it is most likely that he would not of had been able to do what he did. Basically, drugs and alcohol probably saved the day. (and lives) and regardless, the fact that he was on drugs and alcohol, while not glorifying them, also cannot similarly demonize them, in a right or wrong sense.

Which brings me to my second major complaint, the ending. I distinctly remember hearing a woman gasp out loud when after thirty seconds, he finally does grab the alcohol and begins to binge drink before the investigaation Through out the investigation time and again, not only is there no evidence of his drug and alcohol use during that day, every negative aspect of the crash is - through no fault or admission on his part, the investigators come to alternative conclusion on their own - but he is time and again vindicated of any wrong doing, cleared of any fault and could have walked out of the investigation unscathed, but no, he has to admit to his drug use and end up in jail through his apparent truthful tourrette syndrome out of some misplaced sense of survivors guilt. Honesty is not the best policy is the only thing the ending proves, nothing else. Which would be ok... but my argument is WHY ADMIT IT AT THAT MOMENT? WHY NOT WAIT TEN MINUTES until the hearing is over and then go and admit you addiction at some AA meeting. All the admission during the investigation does it guarantee you are going to jail, even at the end when he is telling his story to the other prisoners, they all look at him as if to say "good work dumbass, all that honesty got you was allowed you to become was my prison bitch."

Look I am not advocating or demonizing drugs, alcohol or honesty... all I am saying is that there is a time and a place for everything and in the context of this film they were all unequivocally wrong time wrong place, 'nuff said.
March 19, 2015
Non-stop thrill. Denzel is awesome, yet again.
½ March 16, 2015
I'll be honest. I didn't watch the movie, only read the screenplay. One of the worst endings I have ever encountered. We see Whip's son once, and we're supposed to care about him? I know I didn't, nor did I care about Trina. I cared about Nicole the most. I liked the way she left, but she should have either dissipated entirely or not ever be mentioned again. What did the Academy see in this shit?
½ March 15, 2015
Yes, Flight is tense and touching... but sometimes it becomes unrealistic.
March 14, 2015
Not what I expected - in a good way. Brilliant Denzel.
March 8, 2015
Zemeckis understands that the only way to study alcoholism is with a savage sense of gloom. Denzel gives a powerhouse performance - his best of the past decade.
March 7, 2015
"Flight" is a compelling drama that treats its subject matter with sensitivity and ventures deep into the angst and complexity of its main character, which Denzel Washington successfully captures in his performance which is done with emotional strength and convincing composure.
½ March 1, 2015
I enjoyed watching this film. It has everything it needed to succeed as an acceptable drama. Denzel Washington playing the lead is as always phenomenal. You could feel the emotion in every line as his character Whip struggles with being an alcoholic. No, this movie is definitely not perfect and does not hold against Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, or Cast Away, however it is an exceptional addition to Robert Zemeckis' gallery of Directed films.
½ February 23, 2015
the beginning was the best part. after that it just got way too preachy. the plot didn't make sense either. I know pilots and they are constantly drug tested and everything else. There's no way this would ever happen in real life. The rules are way too strict on them for it to be possible. Whoever made this didn't know pilots. It would have been more believable if the movie was set in the 80's or something but even back then the rules were pretty damn strict for this sort of thing. Also, it really failed in the delivery of it's message about drinking. I mean, if the pilot made a landing no one else could in a simulator and the accident had nothing to do with his drinking, then how does this help your anti-drinking message at all. It doesn't. The whole movie almost makes you think driving under the influence isn't a big deal when it is. I cannot understand why they took this angle. it makes no sense at all. The only reason I'm giving it 2 and a half stars is because the opening scene was really well done. other than that, the movie bored the life out of me and just left me wondering what the writers were sniffing when they made it :P stick to the grass guys