Flight Reviews

June 12, 2015
This is a Denzel movie. You know there's going to be a high level of quality. Plus, Robert Zemeckis is the director, making for a stellar combination. Don't be fooled by the amazing sequence in the plane at the beginning. This is not an action movie, but a character-study with Denzel as the lead is never a bad thing.
October 10, 2012
Excellent! Flight is an intelligently written character drama with a winning performance from Denzel Washington. It's great to see Robert Zemeckis take a break from the motion capture computer-animated movies. Here he creates a drama about real people and their problems. Excellently made.
May 19, 2015
Well acted drama, about, addiction, recovery, and then taking responsibility for personal failings.
½ May 18, 2015
Robert Zemeckis's Flight is a very great movie that is quite a character study. Denzel Washington is fantastic in it and always try to make his roles some meaning to it. John Goodman, Don Cheadle, and Bruce Greenwood are great too, and John Goodman's character is something that has kind of never done before for him. When it got to the plane scene, I think it's one of the most intense scenes I ever seen in a movie for a long time. It felt like you were in the plane with them, and it's the right thing to see Denzel Washington's character act very calm and try to land the plane. Robert Zemeckis and John Gatins really know how to make a main character that's flawed, but you can tell that the character is trying to be what he doesn't want to be. There were a few characters that were honesty a bit pointless, even if they are good characters. With that said, Flight is an entertaining film that shows that Robert Zemeckis isn't running out of ideas and is apparently back on track.
February 17, 2013
Flight is a lot different than it looks in the trailer. It turns out to be a well directed drama film about the struggling pilot under trial for convicted murder in Denzel Washington. Its strong, powerful, and rividing thorughout the entire movie.
½ May 2, 2015
A familar story of addiction, lies, betrayal, relapse and redemption. But this time, we hear this story through the eyes of a man, we would otherwise perceive as a hero. Flight is an enthralling movie. I gotta say it again, Denzel is the reason to see this. He's does a fantastic job, and plays a believable drunk. The first 20 minutes or so are absolutely spellbinding. Hands down, the scariest plane crash scene in a movie.. well, that isn't United 93. This the Zemeckis movie we've wanted since Cast Away, but never got. All he needed to do was to put down his computer, his dot covered outfits and the rest of his magical gadgets, and just make a real movie. He's proven us that he can still cut it in real life.
June 27, 2014
Denzel Washington's captivating performance does much to elevate Flight above its poorly paced, Oscar-baiting script.
½ August 15, 2013
An always fascinating and often powerful character study of addiction and morality.
½ April 23, 2015
Starts with a bang and ends with a whimper! Although the flight in question is nerve bracingly tense, this is not what I was expecting and is more concerned with consequences rather than thrill - Denzel is brilliant as always though
April 15, 2015
Wow, Denzel just gets better with age. I enjoyed this from start to finish & it didn't even have to contain much action, haha.
April 13, 2015
While its running time is a bit overlong and the story has some fails, there is no denying that the alcohol and drugs addiction study in 'Flight', helped by one of Denzel Washington's best performances in his career, is more than enough to make this film a must-see for adult audiences.
November 22, 2012
Robert Zemeckis' first live-action film since 2000's Cast Away might just be his most mature and grounded movie in his career. The entire sequence that takes place on the plane in the beginning of the film is absolutely horrifying and very well-handled (feels like a reminiscence of the crash scene from Cast Away), and Denzel Washington's performance is powerful and simply brilliant. There are a couple of underdeveloped characters, particularly Kelly Reilly's Nicole, and the melodrama aspect seems unnecessary. Flight is flawed, but never less compelling and does succeed to raise ethical questions. And the resolution is perfect.
March 31, 2015
Coming from someone who is afraid of flying, it was a good movie.
½ March 31, 2015
Seeing Denzel play such a complex character was enough to keep me into it. Wow is how I felt about his portrayal. Seeing someone so out on control yet pulling it together enough to be in control in certain situations and circumstances makes for an enthralling aspect of the movie.
March 29, 2015
Still as good as the first time i watched this movie , great acting by Denzel ...interesting times to watch this movie ? SOMDVD
½ March 27, 2015
1, 2, 3, Drink vodka when you see this one.
½ March 23, 2015
This was one of those movie you feel like wasting a few bucks for something that's somehow predictable in a sense, there were obvious ones but for the most part, the movie was written and directed intelligently. This was really great.!! TBH,,
March 20, 2015
Boredom is a disease worse than cancer, drugs and alcohol cure it...with little or no ill side effects if used as directed. - Dough Stanhope

The film "Flight" directed by Robert Zemeckis (Cast Away, Death Becomes Her, Contact, Forrest Gump, The Frightners) and starring Denzel Washington (Training Day, Man on Fire, Philadelphia, The Bone Collector, Book of Eli) was supposed to be, a hero drama wrapped inside a subjective social commentary about the pitfalls and self-destructive nature of addiction, Denzel portrays Whip Whitaker, an airline pilot who miraculously crash lands his plane after it suffers an in-flight mechanical failure, saving nearly everyone on board. Immediately following the crash, he's hailed as a hero, but an investigation soon leads to questions that paints the captain in a different light.

During the investigation the lead NTSB investigator states that no other pilot was able to successfully land the flight simulation of the crash without killing everyone on board. Just to clarify every other SOBER person would have not been able to save even one life had they been at the helm of the titular "Flight" and in spite of having cocaine which probably kept him alert enough to fight the controls of the aircraft upside down and vodka in his system (which most likely calmed his nerves just enough to land the plane he was able to save lives. So my question argument with this movie is one that ironically even in the face of the obvious and glaring evidence, no one seems willing to ask is simply this...

Based on all the evidence provided, it is logical to assume that if he had not been doing drugs and alcohol that morning/afternoon, it is most likely that he would not of had been able to do what he did. Basically, drugs and alcohol probably saved the day. (and lives) and regardless, the fact that he was on drugs and alcohol, while not glorifying them, also cannot similarly demonize them, in a right or wrong sense.

Which brings me to my second major complaint, the ending. I distinctly remember hearing a woman gasp out loud when after thirty seconds, he finally does grab the alcohol and begins to binge drink before the investigaation Through out the investigation time and again, not only is there no evidence of his drug and alcohol use during that day, every negative aspect of the crash is - through no fault or admission on his part, the investigators come to alternative conclusion on their own - but he is time and again vindicated of any wrong doing, cleared of any fault and could have walked out of the investigation unscathed, but no, he has to admit to his drug use and end up in jail through his apparent truthful tourrette syndrome out of some misplaced sense of survivors guilt. Honesty is not the best policy is the only thing the ending proves, nothing else. Which would be ok... but my argument is WHY ADMIT IT AT THAT MOMENT? WHY NOT WAIT TEN MINUTES until the hearing is over and then go and admit you addiction at some AA meeting. All the admission during the investigation does it guarantee you are going to jail, even at the end when he is telling his story to the other prisoners, they all look at him as if to say "good work dumbass, all that honesty got you was allowed you to become was my prison bitch."

Look I am not advocating or demonizing drugs, alcohol or honesty... all I am saying is that there is a time and a place for everything and in the context of this film they were all unequivocally wrong time wrong place, 'nuff said.
March 19, 2015
Non-stop thrill. Denzel is awesome, yet again.
½ March 16, 2015
I'll be honest. I didn't watch the movie, only read the screenplay. One of the worst endings I have ever encountered. We see Whip's son once, and we're supposed to care about him? I know I didn't, nor did I care about Trina. I cared about Nicole the most. I liked the way she left, but she should have either dissipated entirely or not ever be mentioned again. What did the Academy see in this shit?