Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality (2003)

Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

From the very moment of birth, death is a reality that every living creature will inevitably experience -- but what is death, really? In this documentary narrated by acclaimed actor Gabriel Byrne, the research of late cultural anthropologist Ernest Becker is explored to reveal his theory of death as the primary motivator of human behavior -- especially in regards to aggression and violence. In addition to Becker's fascinating theory, a group of researchers, philosophers, and scholars including … More

Rating: Unrated
Genre: Documentary, Faith & Spirituality, Musical & Performing Arts, Special Interest
Directed By: ,

as Narrator
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality

All Critics (2) | Top Critics (1)

The documentary's rambling good intentions don't meet its goal of presenting an interesting or particularly illuminating view of the universally recognized concept of death anxiety.

Full Review… | May 27, 2005
Seattle Times
Top Critic

It's initially a huge downer, but it becomes more fascinating as it moves along.

Full Review… | May 26, 2005
Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Audience Reviews for Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality

The only thing that I didn't like about this documentary is when they talked about the 9/11 terrorist attacks they didn't talk about the "9/11 Twoofers" and their developmentally stunted, fear & hate mongering, tinfoil hat-wearing, Kool-Aid sipping, conspiracy theorizing, delusions & paranoid schizophrenia...

Nor did they talk about the hypocrisy expressed by any of these idiots, that they did talk about which was all generalized as well as the one's that they did not talk about. I suppose they didn't want to take a stand against any specific political, religious, cultural, societal, etc., etc., ...philosophies & ideologies, in an attempt make no one, including those from the crackpot idiot fringe sect(s), feel ostracized due to trying to make everyone understand that the issues discussed in this film really do effect us all, and not just indirectly and by proxy but, directly and internally.

Me, I'm cynical and politically incorrect. It would have been nice to see them "...spit into the eye of the dragon!"

Maybe I'm looking for another documentary in regards to that. I'll keep looking.

Flight from Death: The Quest for Immortality is the quintessential existential documentary of its time. While not a movie intended for entertainment like many of the rest on this list, it is well worth watching. It is based largely on the work of Ernest Becker and Terror Management Theory. It's a movie to make you think and feel.

dmoorephd
David Moore

Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Flight From Death: The Quest For Immortality on our Movie forum!