Flight of the Navigator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flight of the Navigator Reviews

February 10, 2009
Always loved this Disney flick, great effects and adventurous plot that is kinda 'Back to the Future' mixed with 'Explorers' purely for kids with an extraterrestrial twist.
The effects were fantastic for the time and it was the first film to use environment mapping, the CG was some of the first used in motion pictures and in my personal opinion they still hold up very well today, I might add they also used stop motion in the mix too! truly classic workmanship.
As said the effects were always the star attraction with this film, the ship looked way cool (simple design for today of course), the hydraulic alien arm thing inside was nicely designed, the ships interior was really well designed and looked almost like the interior of the 'Predator 2' ship whilst the other aliens creatures were all decent muppet style creatures which were simple fun and amusing.
The whole film was so well made and showed so much vivid imagination, it was colourful and a really exciting ride for kids at the time, I loved every minute of it. The only thing I never liked was Paul Reubens voice as the alien later on in the film, that spoilt the sensible aspect of the plot and made it stupid with his 'Pee Wee Herman' voice. SJP made up for it being very very cute and one of my first kid crushes :)
½ March 5, 2007
This lively alien-fantasy-action film is exciting without relying on agression. The extra-terrestrial creatures are bad Muppet imitations, although that alien with a cold is a gem.
As a NASA intern, Sarah Jessica Parker looks the same as she does now.
½ September 15, 2010
Another movie I saw as a kid, this sci-fi adventure is pretty cool, but very much for kids. I don't think I'd like it as much today.
michael e.
December 16, 2010
a fantastic film from the minds of disney and had a gripping story that sucked me in in the first 20 minutes
January 24, 2007
To me, this is Disney's best live action film back when it was a big deal for Disney to do live action movies. A childhood favorite of mine. :D
November 18, 2009
Such a rip-off of ET. It's like, make the kid disabled and no one will notice. The only rewarding thing about this movie is when the wheelchair kid rolls down a hill and goes off a cliff. Comic genius.
September 14, 2009
A childhood favorite of mine for sure that I haven't seen in YEARS! I really want to see it again ASAP, and own it one day.
April 26, 2008
Great flick about time travel and friendship with a robot space ship. It's a good time and holds up to this day.
½ October 23, 2007
Paul Reubens, you dirty alien! Too many twinkies.
½ June 26, 2007
One of my favourite films as a kid. Love the shape changing spacecraft, cool SFX for the time it was made.
April 20, 2007
This was one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. The story was really interesting and the CG effects were good for its time. The acting is not too bad and Paul Reubens' voice fits perfectly as the voice of Max. The soundtrack was well done too. "Compliance"
January 25, 2007
classic family fun
September 1, 2006
One of those films that's on a Sunday afternoon on TV
Jason Vargo
September 5, 2011
Once you get past the so-so acting and seeming plot holes early in the flick, Flight of the Navigator is light, wholesome family entertainment which hits on a broad number of topics near and dear to kids. There's a fantasy of being a VIP in major, interstellar affairs (and having an all-powerful best friend). The film is heavy on the family aspect, particularly between David and his brother-once adversaries, but now friends in the future. Bad adults who just don't understand a kid. And the list goes on. No one gets any particular depth to their characters-especially poor Howard Hesseman as the NASA scientist trying to figure out what's going on. The chase piece of the film is extremely light: after all, how do humans chase down a spaceship? Still, it's a fun nostalgic trip with more than a couple laughs thrown in.
½ January 20, 2013
A 12 year old boy (David Freeman) goes missing and returns 8 years later. He has not aged in this time and is unaware of his disappearance. Scientists, Doctors and his family are all equally baffled over this strange phenomenon. All are at a loose end until NASA come on the scene. NASA are very interested in David following their discovery of a UFO; which seems to have a lot in common with the young boy. The fun really begins when the 2 are reunited.

The Flight of the Navigator is an 80's classic, Sci-Fi, family film. The story is easy to follow, light-hearted and very easy going. This is a great movie to watch when you are tired, ill or just don't want to use your brain too much.

Flight of the Navigator is a very enjoyable watch. I had fun revisiting it this week and loved this film as child. It was one of my most watched "taped off the TV" VHS tapes.

I think the special effects are quite good for the time, I like the pun in the opening credits, the music is pretty good throughout and I find Joey Cramer's performance as David very good indeed. I think it's a shame his movie career began to fade away rapidly after this point.
Randal Kleiser (Director) did a decent job with this film. I think it's one of his greater achievements. He also had success and praise with Grease, The Blue Lagoon and White Fang.

As a movie it achieves everything that it sets out to do; to entertain a family audience. I feel that it can stand comfortably amongst many other solid, light hearted, family movies of this time, such as; Batteries not Included, Honey, I shrunk the Kids, The Never Ending Story, Big, The Karate Kid, Short Circuit, Gremlins, Cocoon, etc.

I think that, that category is where Flight of the Navigator belongs. To set it's sights on anything higher would be, in my opinion, "punching above it's weight". I don't think that it can be regarded as one of the really great or top family movies of the 80's. There's too much competition with movies such as; Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark and ET. Mr. Spielburg was really firing with both barrels at this time.

Comparisons aside, The Flight of the Navigator remains an enjoyable family movie that entertains children and adults alike. I think it was probably my favorite movie when I was about 8, and continued to be so until the release of Independence day. But what did I know, I also liked Teen Wolf, Mac and Me and Harry and the Hendersons.
Its aged in the worst kind of way, pop culture references for the 80's dont hold up. But if you grew up with it, its still a great fun flick for the family.
August 2, 2007
In this gem that you might not have heard of, David Freeman (Joey Cramen) a young man from 1978 finds himself in 1986. N.A.S.A wants to experiment on David to find out what his connection is with an alien craft they have found. But David just wants to get back to 1978 and his only way is to get aboard the alien craft.

In the beginning the film is fascinating Sci-fi and in the middle the film gets a little goofy but is still a good time. The film is Back to the Future meets Close Encounters and if you're a fan of either, Flight of the Navigator is worth checking out.
June 6, 2007
Glorious nostalgia.
½ June 18, 2006
I realy enjoyed this movie as a child. This rates so high mostly because of that. I enjoyed his traveing home after years.
December 22, 2013
This movie felt to kiddish to me, but the idea and plot had more potential. I feel if it was fitted more for PG-13 audience it might of been better !