• PG, 1 hr. 29 min.
  • Warner Bros. Pictures

Flipped Reviews

Scott G
March 24, 2012
Films about children growing up or have made a movie as survival guide like Diary of a Wimpy Kid dont get good marks from the public, but i actually truthfully like this film.
Gregory D
August 19, 2011
Great film. An adolescent love story for adults to enjoy.
Cynthia S
½ August 2, 2011
This was such a well-done, sensitive, sweet, uplifting movie. Very clever, quiet narrative. Absolutely beautiful ending that really set my female emotions all a-twitter. Charming little flick.
Jennifer X
½ April 30, 2011
Oh Rob Reiner, what happened with you? You can do better than this average nostalgia crap. Bring back some of your edge!
bbcfloridabound bbcfloridabound
½ April 8, 2011
A cute little film about a boy in 2nd grade and a girl who has a crush on him. And for the next 6 years shows how these two life's just kept mixing together. Set in the 1959-1964 time frame. If you were in 2nd grade during this time, then this film is a must. 3 1/2 stars.
Everett J
March 22, 2011
The 3 best words I can come up with to describe this movie are "sweet", "charming" and "cute." It really is all three, and I'm not one who is usually up for a "sweet" movie, but this is surprisingly good. Rob Reiner directed one of my favorite movies ever, "Stand By Me", and he's made another great movie about pre-teen relationships. Guys will probably be hit and miss on this, but if ya wanna score big with the lady and enjoy a movie too, then this will do good for ya.
sanjurosamurai sanjurosamurai
January 30, 2011
instead of a nostalgic look at young romance and middle school life, this felt like a forced attempt to create another timeless kids classic in the tradition of films like the sandlot. the narration was a bit dry, and much of the dialogue felt incomplete. i kept waiting for the characters to say the things that most people would say in their given situations, and most of the expected dialogue was left out in order, it seems, to manufacture the circumstances desired to further the sub par plot. i laughed a few times and the film was not without a few redeeming qualities, but overall this film falls flat.
Nani V
½ November 30, 2010
Such a cute movie about that first special person you like growing up. :)

I totally digged the ending! <3
Sajin P
½ January 12, 2011
Sweetly charming movie . It felt good to see Marty Crane (Mahoney) on screen after a while.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn LorenzoVonMatterhorn
January 8, 2011
"All I ever wanted was for Juli Baker to leave me alone."

Two eighth graders start to have feelings for each other despite being total opposites. Based on the novel "Flipped" by Wendelin Van Draanen.

REVIEW
Juli just had to take one look at Bryce's blue eyes, and she knew it was true love. Bryce just had to take one notice of Juli's manic desperation, and he knew it was going to be a friendship of torment. I just had to take one look at the film's artfully designed poster, and I knew "Flipped" was a film to be savoured. A beautifully told film of first love, we flip from Juli's point of view to Bryce's point of view, very effectively giving us the true nature of their friendship, love and respect they have for each other. Except in the case of middle-school graders, that love and respect can frequently look like embarrassment, mistrust, and shame. All of those emotions are told with intelligence, subtlety and humour. "Flipped" has all of the comedy, naivetť and bewilderment of first love. It takes the romantic comedy farther by actually giving us characters with real depth. There is more going on than just Juli and Bryce figuring out their love for each other, and every aspect of this film is well written, touching and relevant. "Flipped" is a cute film for everybody who fondly remembers that fiercely independent girl or the guy with piercing blue eyes that lived across the street.
LWOODS04 LWOODS04
September 16, 2010
Cast: Madeline Carroll, Callan McAuliffe, Rebecca De Mornay, Anthony Edwards, Aidan Quinn, John Mahoney, Penelope Ann Miller, Kevin Weisman, Morgan Lily, Ryan Ketzner

Director: Rob Reiner

Summary: A multigenerational family saga about the highs and lows of love. Bryce and Juli first meet as second graders, with Juli having a crush on the uncertain Bryce, and as they mature, it appears their love may blossom. As they wrestle with the problems of adolescence, their parents cope with an assortment of issues of their own.

My Thoughts: "A cute story about first crushes and young love. I liked the story being told by both of the leads. It gives you an insight on how they were both feeling at that moment. A great young cast of unknown actors (well unknown by me).The two young main character's (Callan McAuliffe and Madeline Carroll) really did a great job in their roles. I loved the simplicity of the film. The great story it tells not only about adolescence and young love, but about how different the families were. One father living in anger and regret of his youth, and another father living by doing what makes him happy and how that dynamic changes the feel of each others home life. Just a great story that will surely take you back to that young time in your life."
Lewis C
January 10, 2010
"All I ever wanted was for Juli Baker to leave me alone."

Flipped is easily the best love story/relationship movie I've seen since (500) Days of Summer. I'm the kind of guy that you couldn't pay to watch a Nicholas Sparks movie, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a good movie about the highs and lows of love. In a year of formulaic, mind-numbing flicks with no imagination or heart like Letters to Juliet, Flipped is a welcome breath of fresh air.

It's about six or so years in the lives of two kids who meet when when one of them moves into a new neighborhood. Juli (played by Morgan Lily and Madeline Carroll) is instantly smitten by Bryce (Ryan Ketzner and Callan McAuliffe) the second she sees him drive up to his new house. Bryce, being a typical second grade boy, finds her attention embarrasing and unwanted. As they get older, that dynamic between them remains pretty much the same, but we wouldn't have a very interesting movie if that's all there was to it. Eventually Bryce finds himself on the other side of the equation (flipped, get it?), and has to win back the girl he never knew he always wanted.

How odd is it that a movie about a couple of kids handles the topic of love in a more mature and genuine way than almost all of the adult-oriented romantic comedies that we're buried under each year? There's no doubt about it that Flipped will make you say "aww" on occasion, but there's a lot more to it than just kids being cute. Humor, issues of class, family conflict, and the lost idealism of youth are introduced into the story by Bryce and Juli's respective families, and there are several outright bittersweet or poignant scenes within the story.

The movie is shown from the POV's of both main characters, and often the same event will be shown from each of their perspectives. It works really well, as it really helps the viewer to "get" both Bryce and Juli. The kids chosen to play the older versions of the two (Carroll and McAuliffe) are both great, the fact that the story is set in 50's or 60's suburbia adds a believable sense of innocence to it all, and there is just a fresh feeling to the movie that I can't really describe with words.

I heartily recommend this to anyone who likes a good, well-written movie, regardless of the genre. You can tell that a lot of heart went into making Flipped, and it shows. Great movie.
Brian D
½ November 22, 2010
A warm and charming movie with a well rounded cast of stars and a nice return to form for Rob Reiner. Rob Reiner beings some of hes charm that he use in Stand By Me but dont get me wrong this is no stand by me.But you do get a great story told from the point of view of both stars set in a great time period that works so well.
Aaron N
½ July 29, 2010
Bryce: In school, the only thing I totally flunked out in, was understanding girls.

So it occurred to me the other day that Rob Reiner, with the exception of North, had directed a string of very good to great movies up to the mid 90s. After that, he seemed to have lost his way a bit. I am glad to say that this new film of his is a solid coming of age story and a nice throwback to the ‚??coming of age story‚?? genre in general. Adapted from the 2001 young adult novel of the same title, this film is a lean, nicely paced, teen romance story that works well at being entertaining.

Set in the 1960‚??s, the plot centers on two middle school kids, Bryce (Callan McAuliffe) and Juli (Madeline Carroll), who have lived across the street from each other since Bryce moved in when they were six years old. Ever since then, Juli has been head over heels for Bryce, only to be met with no shared feelings from Bryce‚??s side. As the two enter the 8th grade, new feelings start to develop, as Juli starts to look beyond the dreaminess she used to see in Bryce‚??s eyes, while Bryce starts to realize what has been in front of him the whole time. The film is shot from the perspective of both characters, flipping back and forth between the shared moments they have together, as well as delving more into their own personal lives. The film also costars Anthony Edwards and Rebecca De Mornay as Bryce‚??s parents, with John Mahoney as his grandfather, as well as Aidan Quinn and Penelope Ann Miller as Juli‚??s parents.

I really appreciated the design of this film. It‚??s very simply done. For a Rob Reiner film, I could tell that he was working with a lower budget this time around, as the film didn‚??t need much beyond capturing the feel of 60s suburban life. The main approach to the filmmaking present here was the shifting perspectives, which worked as a solid way to round out each of these characters. The voice over narration never felt overbearing, and the whole tone of the film felt very much like a classic Reiner film from the 80s.

The performances were fine. I enjoyed the child actors‚?? work here. Since the idea was to create a believable chemistry between two people who are in and out of having feelings for one another, I found them to work well together. The parents all did good work here, with Edwards serving as a man who is quite mean regarding Juli‚??s family, but has some subtle development later on in the film. Then you have Quinn as Juli‚??s father who manages to say a number of right things at the right time. Mahoney is given the role of wise elder, but manages to do solid work with it.

I found it interesting in the way this film relied on simplicity. Besides the art direction, which was good enough at capturing the 60s in terms of how characters dress, the cars and house designs, as well as the soundtrack, this film really only used a few sets and some backdrops. Beyond that there were only a few subplots, but nothing that ever needed to push things into further turmoil. Because of this, the film only clocked in a briskly paced 90 minutes, but felt like that was all the time needed. The parents could have been fleshed out a bit more, but really that would have only slowed the film down and taken away from the main story involving our young leads.

As I haven‚??t read the book it was based on, from what I could tell, being seated with a younger audience, it would seem that this film managed to maintain its spirit. From my perspective, I too had a good time watching this film. It‚??s a simple coming of age tale that has a nice spin on the formula by showing us both sides.

Chet: Every once in a while, you find someone who is‚?¶iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.
SC007 SC007
August 6, 2011
Home run for Rob Reiner. It has been a long time since I saw a really great movie from him. Here he goes back to his Stand By Me roots and it works. I loved the style of this film. You get to hear the boy's point of view on the events and then it switches to the girl's point of view on the events. That is the pattern of the film. A he said, she said style. This film should have gotten more recognition when it was released last year. The film is well casted. Callan McAuliffe does a great job playing Bryce. Madeline Carroll shines as always. She was great in both Swing Vote and Mr. Popper Penguins. I loved the songs that are in the film. I definitely recommend this movie.
Ryan M Ryan M
January 9, 2011
6.2/10

Rob Reiner's "Flipped" understands a thing or two about teen life. The film consistently switches from the "female" point of view to the "male" point of view; which definitely makes the film a whole lot more thoughtful than most films of its type. Unlike most teen dramas, "Flipped" does not revolve around ironic humor or the crass in-jokes of the other children that surround the main characters. Instead, "Flipped" aims to get inside the characters' heads, and it succeeds marvelously. For the most part, "Flipped" is a fairly entertaining movie. It's a mix of light humor and light emotion, and therefore it's nothing special but it's certainly charming in one way or another. There's something endearing about this familiar but engaging flick, and perhaps it all has something to do with how it was helmed. Reiner's latest is based on a young adult novel of the same name, which also understood how teens work. Reiner works with the material to good enough effect that he does indeed produce a pretty decent film out of it all, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I guess I enjoyed the film a bit more as it went along, since it took me the entire film to realize just how much I can relate to the thing. I took some time to observe Bryce and Juli's classmates. I've seen just about every one of them, although perhaps in another body. What can I say: they were the kind of generic teens that annoy all of us; Bryce, Julie, and I included. For all who have lived alongside that social crowd, "Flipped" is a recommending viewing. I think that all of us can relate somehow to the film, as long as we have been to Elementary School, Middle School, and High School. Even if we haven't, there's definitely some entertainment to be found here. At times, the film felt a tad slow for me and it never hit the emotional note that it may have hoped for, but it is a well acted and somewhat heartfelt drama. The fact that "Flipped" tells a story which could easily be mimicked in real life doesn't make it the special film that some may want it to be, but it's nice to see that someone in Hollywood gives a damn about making familiar waters less of a burden to tread.

Bryce and Juli are two children of this generation. They meet when Bryce moves into a new neighborhood. Juli is eccentric and outgoing as a young child while Bryce is shy and unable to control his emotions and feelings. At first sight, Juli thinks its love. However, Bryce thinks otherwise. For a good portion of their early school years, Bryce and Juli look at each-other with opposing view points. Juli longs for that one kiss, while Bryce consistently tries to avoid that particular moment. Thus, Bryce makes some poor decisions. Bryce comes from a family in which his father is judgmental, which leads him to make assumptions about Juli's life-style. Juli comes from a middle-class family; not poor, not near rich. Her yard is always messy with plants growing about rapidly, although her family life is fairly decent. Her father is caring as is her mother, while her father's brother is mentally deficient. This makes life somewhat hard for Juli, yet she continues to try hard at making that one connection with Bryce. Over time, problems arise. Juli looses interest in Bryce. On the contrary, he begins to take an interest in her. This is the set-up for most of the film, and it's meant to be....well, I guess it's sort of meant to be ironic. And it is, for the most part. The story itself has no problems in its telling; it's just nothing too fascinating. There are complications in this ever-growing and ever-failing relationship between the film's two characters, although none of them can accumulate to the note of emotional brilliance that it tries to strike. This is by no means a bad film; in fact, I found it to be fairly entertaining and sporadically endearing. The problem is that it tries to be a bit too "cute" for its own good. Maybe that's not the film's thought; it's just how the story goes. It matters not to me though, since I'm not the biggest supporter of narrative cuteness. It's not really a problem, but then again when is it ever a good thing? Anyways, "Flipped" is teen drama done (mostly) right. It's a pretty forgettable watch, but it's entertaining for what it is. Nothing memorable to see here. Just watch it the one time and, if you choose, send it on its way. That would be my approach.

The teen actors here are extremely good for their roles. They make the teen life-style entertaining to watch, and they keep it from going to deep in terms of pretentious complexity. I particularly enjoyed watching Madeline Carrol as Juli. There was something way beyond "cute" and "endearing" about this girl's performance. It felt more like understanding. It's the kind of role that needed to be played well. Additionally, Callan McAuliffe portrays Bryce with a good amount of inspiration AND understanding. The two stars of the film do indeed seem to have some sort of insight on how Teen life works nowadays. That is why the film manages to work despite its flaws, and I think that half of the charm is delivered through the performances. I also liked the majority of the supporting cast. And yes, that does include the generic teens. They made me BELIEVE it. I am of course just joking, because it is not too hard to be an asshole. I think we all know how to do it. It's a matter of doing right, and I tell you, few actors can really get the job done. Luckily, "Flipped" knows what its doing. Awesome!

"Flipped" provides two points of view; each of the opposite gender. One moment, we'll hear Juli tell the tale, while another Bryce might be telling it. This gives us some decent insight to how these characters think, and it somewhat helps us to CARE when things go wrong. Everything about the "craft" of "Flipped" is about average. Cinematography is nothing too awesome. Music is genuinely fitting. Characters fit in decently or even well enough. It's an entertaining package, even if I'm already going to forget it. "Flipped" may be a charmer, but it's almost too much of one that it stops itself from being one of the best films of 2010. It could have been a definite win, but it just barely earns its stripes because there was stuff to relate to. Like I said, it's pretty entertaining. It had moments of pure, utter boredom. I will admit that much. But when it's interesting, it's interesting ENOUGH. And that's quite enough for me. Like most teen dramas, "Flipped" is quite humorous as well as dramatic. Most of the good humor is light but effective in tone, while the drama can range from mediocre to just barely good. Some moments just didn't strike me as hypnotic in their quality. It just wasn't that sort of film. I think it was made to be a quite, forgettable piece of entertainment, and that's about it. If that is what Reiner wanted, then he was a HUGE success. And while it's not truly a "good" or "great" film, "Flipped" is plenty of fun. It's a recommendation, but not a huge one. See it if the concept appeals to you.

I think this is the best you can do with "Flipped". These kinds of stories are best told within pages rather than on film. Perhaps this is because there's a certain way that a literary artist paints his picture that makes it so darned interesting. I liked the way that "Flipped" was told; as a book at least. The film was nothing special, and in my opinion, neither was the novel. Of course, I admired the novel just a bit more. It's just that the film adaptation is just barely missing some of the raw, natural charm. Nevertheless, it's a satisfying adaptation. It captures the purpose to why the book exists, and the plot is still understanding of the teenage mind. It will appeal to different people on different levels. It may soar for some, it may fail for others, and for those like me, it will just pass by like most films. It's entertaining, pleasant, calm, and never feels like the pretentious drama that it should be. I like how Reiner's film never tries to be all high and mighty. It never thinks that it's more than it is. Reiner's film understands young human beings and I (kind of) like that. It's a flawed movie, but it's a good time if you choose to view it in a positive way. I don't blame those who dislike it for not enjoying it; I mean, it's completely familiar and forgettable. But sometimes, it's nice to just enjoy a film for what it is. That is what I did here. That is why I kind of enjoyed myself. That is why "Flipped" is a satisfactory viewing, even if it is, as I said, forgettable.
Dannielle A
December 3, 2010
After having read the book in high school, years later when I saw a poster for the movie, I FLIPPED! It is such a charming, heart-warming story and I knew I HAD to see the movie when it came into theatres. Unfortunately, it had a limited release and I had to wait for it to go on video. It was well worth the wait! This movie is adorable, innocent, nostalgic, and sweet as honey.

Bryce and Juli meet as second-graders when Bryce moves across the street from Juli. She has an instant crush on him while he loathes and ignores her for years. Finally, she realizes that he is "less than the sum of his parts," and gives up on him. But that is the very moment that Bryce realizes how much he cares for Juli... but is it too late?

The story is peppered with period 50's rock songs and thoughtful narrated storytelling from both Bryce and Juli's perspectives.

One of the best parts about this movie is that it is about family dynamics and the way that the same event can seem dramatically different to two different people who interpret it through their own insight.

I know some people think that this movie is "too cute" but it shines like a pure, glistening diamond to me and stays very true to the original story which is an incredible one indeed.
PantaOz PantaOz
December 1, 2010
In this adaptation of the novel Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen is easy to notice that everything is moved to the early 60's (in the book is around 2000) and I have to say that was a very smart move from the director Rob Reiner. If you remember him as a director of Stand by Me (1986), The Princess Bride (1987), When Harry Met Sally... (1989), A Few Good Men (1992), North (1994), The American President (1995), The Story of Us (1999) and The Bucket List (2007)(just few of his many movies) you'll know that he knows how to make the audience feel the characters as their own!

And he did just that in Flipped: made us feel that real love story of second graders Juli (Madeline Carroll) and Bryce (Callan McAuliffe) who are, somehow, always staying together through triumph and disaster, family dramas and new discoveries that will define their personallities.

Enjoy and charish this precious movie!
ashley h
½ July 17, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie. It was definitely Rob Reiner's love letter to the late 50's/early 60s of his childhood. I thought it could have been edited to flow together a little better, but the cast was superb. It shows pretty early on the differences between how boys see/hear things, and how girls see/hear things. I'd like to think it changes significantly with age, but in alot of cases it doesn't! I liked the family differences that were shown, that even though they were both in different tax brackets, they still had issues all their own. I liked the coming of age aspect as it follows Bryce and Juli through childhood and adolescence. It could have been a little better story, a little funnier, but all in all, a good, family movie.
Philip P
June 9, 2010
Sometimes a film will take you completely by surprise and so is the case with Rob Reiner's latest film 'Flipped'. It looked to be nothing more than a cutesy story of boy meets girl with a 50's backdrop. This assumption would be somewhat accurate, but it would not give near as much credit to this terrific little film as it deserves. Beginning from the moment they first meet at the age of five up through the eighth grade we get a look at love in an all to ignored stage in life. That awkward age of jr. high where we like to believe your first love will be our only and in every way, 'Flipped' makes us believe it were true. Reiner directs with a simple hand, within the story, its time sensitive set pieces and with his young actors. All of which shine through in their unique ways. To begin with the story, as I said earlier, this looked to be a typical girl meets boy story, but the formulaic story structure is switched up here with the story going back and forth from the two different points of view of our two leads. Juli, played by the wonderful Madeline Carroll and Bryce who is portrayed with just the right notes of smug and warmth by Callan McAuliffe. The story not only gives us the ins and outs of falling in and out of love and finally realizing how amazing that person is and how much you might have taken them for granted, but it inserts pieces of the two leads personal lives and how it affects what they think about their relationship, heck it even affects their developing relationship with one another seeing as they are neighbors. In the beginning of the film the relationship is more simple, as are the dilemmas in how to either avoid each other or get face time with one another, depending on who's head over heels for who at the moment. As the movie reached its second half though and begins to not only intertwine the two families, but the personal situations and the main relationship we realize how natural this development is fro a young man coming to the realization that what is actually true is what he's attempted to deny his entire life. It is a lightly touching film that is so adorable. The moment we hear Bryce's voice over say "My Juli" we melt and he has us in the palm of his hand. There is no doubt the back and forth gets a tad redundant after a certain point and some of the characters are little more than archetypes (especially the under developed plot line concerning Bryce's father) but all in all this is a magical little film that makes a great viewing experience for either family movie night or date night. You cannot go wrong, it will no doubt surprise you as it did me. I am so glad it did, it made me want to fall in love all over again.