• Unrated, 1 hr. 27 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Flypaper Reviews

Al S

November 17, 2011
A total blast, it`s one of those films that would be just a crime to miss. A wickedly hilarious twist-a-minute comedy packed with action, suspense, witty characters, sharp writing and a wonderful all-star cast. It`s smart, stylish and unrelenting. A great movie. I loved it. A rich, slick and insanely enjoyable comedy. Patrick Dempsey is excellent, he has the perfect combination of charm, witt and charisma that makes him a stunning leading man. Ashley Judd is wonderful. Dempsey and Judd have great chemistry together, giving off plenty of great lines and romantic dazzle. Pruitt Taylor Vince and Tim Blake Nelson are outrageous together, such a blast of comic energy. Mekhi Phifer and Matt Ryan are terrific. A funny movie that packs just as much smarts and bullets to keep you entertained. A movie that knows how to enjoy itself, whether its in it`s thriller element, it`s action element or in it`s comedic element. A wonderful genre bender with a Hitchokian vibe to it. It works as heist thriller, an action movie and a romantic comedy.
Cynthia S

August 7, 2011
Strictly amateur hour, despite the number of recognizable names in the cast. Not sure what they were trying to do, but the premise is so lame that the whole thing collapses before it gets going. I just could not get into this movie...
Anthony L

April 11, 2012
A truly awful film. It's desperately unfunny and thinks it's really clever but it really isn't. The acting is awful, the script is awful, the story is awful...I could go on. It's a complete mess that should never have been green lit.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

October 17, 2011
Two sets of bank robbers, one very sticky heist.

Good decent movie. This was a nice comedic bank robbery movie. It's a mix between films like Clue and The Bank Job. Many twist and turns made the movie better than it was. Nice cast especially the duo of Dempsey and Judd.

Tripp ('Patrick Dempsey' ) walks into a bank to get some change and ends up as a hostage to two bank robber-teams, robbing the bank he is at. In an almost Sherlock Holmesian way he has to solve this Agatha Christie inspired mystery and win the girls (Ashley Judd) heart. But not everything is at it seems, and there are many twists and turns in this comedy.
Todd S

July 26, 2011
This is one of the strangest films I have ever seen and I really liked it. When Flypaper first started, it was absolutely ridiculous, to a point where I almost turned it off. If it wasn't for a huge cast I really like, I would have. The story starts off simple enough, a man is making a deposit at a bank and hitting on the pretty young teller, when armed men attempt a robbery, which is halted by another crew robbing the same bank at the same time. Suddenly, a customer is murdered by a mysterious third party and chaos ensues. From there the film is broken into three parts, including the hostages trying to figure out what's going on, the trained crew trying to break into the vault, and the redneck crew trying to get into the ATM's with massive amounts of plastic explosives. The story is crazy and hard to follow at first, but then it actually becomes pretty funny. Tripp (Patrick Dempsey) is convinced that something strange is going on and decides to investigate. Dempsey's OCD personality and crazy antics are funny, but the way the rest of the cast responds to him is what's really funny. As for the two crews they each have problems of their own, which also leads to some funny moments. The rest of the cast is full of stars, something you wouldn't expect in a film like this. Ashley Judd, Octavia Spencer, Jeffery Tambor, John Ventamiglia, and Mekhi Phiffer all have bit parts that in the end turn out to be important to the story, because as it turns out, Tripp is right, there is something really fucked up going on. The weirdness and hilarity build to an Ocean's Elevenesq ending that was a pretty surprising twist. Right from the beginning, Flypaper seemed like an absolute bomb, but I stuck with it and it resulted in a ton of laughs, a somewhat interesting mystery, and an unexpected ending that will leave you speechless.
Jeffrey M

February 16, 2012
Unfunny, badly written, poorly acted, and undeniably pointless, Flypaper is a disaster of a movie. It was trying to be an offbeat witty comedy, but it manages only to be an exercise in terrible, uninspired, phone-it-in filmmaking, with Larry the Cable Guy level humor and sophistication.

1.5/5 Stars
PantaOz
PantaOz

October 13, 2011
I am not sure how a director with such good ideas can execute them so poorly! Rob Minkoff, how could you do it, I keep asking! I was hoping that, at least, it could be entertaining enough to keep me awake but the story of a man named Tripp who is caught in the middle of two simultaneous robberies at a bank - didn't do it. There were few funny situations because one crew is more professional while the other crew consists of two men who call themselves Peanut Butter and Jelly and they constantly clash with their methods while Tripp desperately tries to protect teller Kaitlin (it seems that he was secretly falling in love).

The end twist was predictable, and story at the end did not made much impression to be remembered. Patrick Dempsey as Tripp and Ashley Judd as Kaitlin were on the same level! Avoid if you could!
SC007
SC007

August 22, 2011
What a great and hilarious film this is. This is the kind of film that the Coen Bros. would usually make. It kind of reminded me of movies like Clue, The Tourist, and Identity. It is a botched bank robbery, hostage situation, a murder/who done it, and who is setting them all up in this film. The script is really good and there is some great dialog. The film is well casted. Everyone in this ensemble shines. Patrick Dempsey is playing a character that would have been played by Woody Allen years ago. I definitely recommend this film.
Jonny C

January 23, 2011
An okay heist movie with a familiar cast and some nice twists. Flypaper for me never lived up to it's trailer. It's plot never made much sense and the jokes were often flat and unfunny. Overall, worth late night viewing.
ch1ckxm4gn3t
July 19, 2012
us007ed
January 6, 2014
Right in my wheelhouse. Comic-caper. Very funny dark comedy.
January 13, 2014
fun movie. The quirky characters make it pretty interesting. Worth seeing if you haven't.
December 12, 2013
Pretty enjoyable. Can't understand why the bad ratings. It has a theater play feel through the whole thing. The characters are not realistic, but I don't think they either has to be. It's a 90 min bank robbery comedy sketch with a "detectiviesque" flair.
November 23, 2013
One of the worst movies I've seen in a very long time. I literally read the wikipedia while watching it, so I didn't have to go through the crap. Waste of time. Literally.
October 20, 2013
perfect heist with a genius enemy, awesome
Teresa M.
September 19, 2013
Horrendously unfunny, unimaginative and uninteresting.
FilmGrinder S.
July 22, 2013
76%

Ten Little Indains, trapped in a bank, surrounded by silly comedy. It's all about the P & J.

"Get ready to die jizzim sucker!"-Billy Ray "Peanut Butter" McCloud (Tim Blake Nelson)
May 22, 2013
It is a great movie, I advise you see it! It's clever protangonist had never seen it coming, no wait, he did!
January 17, 2012
There was basically one reason why I watched this, and his name is Patrick Dempsey. Also, the plot seemed pretty clever. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed by either Dempsey or the movie. What I appreciated right off the bat was how quickly it jumped into it. There was no needlessly long exposition, it just dove right in. Which helped the plot I think because you found out more and more about the characters as the movie went on, instead of learning everything at the beginning. I thought Patrick Dempsey was great. This character was a big departure from Derek Shepherd, and it was nice to see that from him. Also, the character is a lot of fun and slightly crazy, so there's that. The twists and turns throughout the movie definitely keep you guessing all the way through the last minute. But, that is also a little bit of a downfall. There are so many turns, it's a little hard to keep track of all of them. For example, I guessed the ending, but then a couple of other twists later, and I thought I was wrong and guessed something else, but then in the end, it turns out my original guess was right, and my second guess was half right. That was confusing to type, let alone watch. Overall though, this movie and its cast of characters are crazy enough that it's kind of fun to sit back and watch all of it unfold.