Follow Me, Boys! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Follow Me, Boys! Reviews

April 10, 2012
Sentimental Disney film is cute but overlong. (P.S. The Rotten Tomatoes synopsis is for the 1944 musical, which had absolutely nothing to do with this film.)
August 31, 2007
A movie about a boy scout leader who took it upon himself to lead a group of misfit boys to adulthood and great skills
½ June 29, 2006
Wonderful classic. It shows compassion and service. It's about a boyscout master who takes a roudy bunch of boys (and a particular troubled youth of an acoholic father) under his wing and unites the town. Why can't they make movies like this anymore?
September 25, 2015
Solid, Heartwarming, and an absolute delight, with the main character a gentleman, not an indecent scumbag.
October 10, 2014
★★★ (out of four)
July 21, 2013
Great movie and plug for the Boy Scouts of America
May 31, 2012
"Follow Me, Boys!" is a Disney film which managed to evade me. I have just watched it for the first time and it's movies like this that are the very reason why I love cinema so much. This is an absolutely fantastic flick. I have always loved Frederick MacMurray and his films such as The Egg & I, Double Indemnity and Dive Bomber have been staple favourites for a long time. Having now seen Follow Me Boys it's clear that we have a new contender. He is just so good. He plays a travelling jazz musician on tour who decides to pack it all in for the quiet life. Arriving in a small town he soon finds himself volunteering to be a scout leader to help keep the rowdy kids off the street. His commitment soon becomes a lifestyle and before he knows it the whole town respects and idolises him. His wife... is played by Vera Miles who is not only dead-set gorgeous in the film but she is also amazing. It's probably one of her most understated performances. If you catch this some time, pay attention to her subtle expressions. This was also Kurt Russell's first Disney contract film at the age of 13 and he is also solid and affective. Watching this also struck me with it's similarities to Mr Holland's Opus (or rather the other way around). A VERY similar formula with almost all the same hallmarks."Follow Me, Boys!" is a loving salute to the Boy Scouts of America that's impossible to resist. It certainly kept me smiling for it's entire 130 minute length. Well worth the purchase!
May 14, 2012
February 26, 2012
It's a bit sappy, especially for today,but it does give you a fond yearning for yesteryear. This used to be long demanded before it was on DVD, with premium prices paid for a used VHS.
June 7, 2010
Story: A musician named Lem Siddons takes a job as a clerk in a general store. While at the same time instilling values in the local boys, becomes scoutmaster for the local boy scout troop, troop 1. Later on the boys stumble upon a war game and Lem is mistaken for a war spy and treated as a POW. I'll let you see what happens next.

Characters: The entire cast was great and well acted. also, the main character is played by Kurt Russel.

Humor: Even though this is a drama, it has a few funny scenes, but not much.

Overall: Follow Me, Boys! is a classic and heartwarming family drama. If you're looking a good movie to watch with your wife and children, you should check this one out!
March 11, 2008
a great classic and great music.
½ February 8, 2008
8 February has been a bad day for me for 25 years, now. I can tell you some pretty exact details about 8 February, 1983, if you care to hear them, though I'm sure you don't. It's the day my dad died, and since I'm emotionally unstable to begin with, I don't think I will ever stop handling this day badly. In fact, now I think about it, this isn't the smartest movie in the world for me to be watching today, given that there's the death of a much-beloved father in it. Still, this is one of my mom's favourite movies, so here we are.

Lemuel Siddons (Fred MacMurray) has been, for an unknown number of years, touring with "Melody Murphy's Collegiates," a (probably) Dixieland band. They haven't, as Lem puts it to Melody, been collegiates for quite some time. He tells Melody that, the first honest job someone offers him, he'll take. So when they see a "help wanted" sign in Hickory, (probably) Illinois (they mention having to get to Chicago before dark), Lem takes it, not least because he sees a pretty woman in the bank that he thinks he can hit it off with. As part of his effort to woo her, he ends up also becoming the first-ever troopleader of Hickory's first ever Boy Scout troop. The whole rest of the movie involves his decades of service.

This is not a great movie by any means, but it's far better than a lot of other Disney movies from its era. (It was made in 1966.) For one thing, Lillian Gish is in it. It's the final film role, though he did several television appearances after it, of one of the old mainstays of Disney, film in general, and this journal Charles Ruggles. Actually, quite a lot of its stars have appeared here before; Vera Miles, who plays Vida Simmons, was in [i]Psycho[/i], for heaven's sake, and it's one of Kurt Russell's first film appearances as the defiant Whitey. Not to mention Fred MacMurray, who's put in more appearances here than practically anyone else, and we've got plenty of his movies yet to go.

There are some amazingly funny sequences in this; the best is in the 1944 section, wherein the troop captures a tank during war games that happen around their camping spot. There are also dramatic sequences, such as Whitey's pain over his alcoholic father. There's the running gag of Lem's inability to tie a sheepshank. There is the odd fact that half the boys in town seem to own no other clothes than their Boy Scout uniforms, while quite a lot of the other boys never seem to wear theirs. Also, the characters' aging is handled very well, and the actors chosen to play the kids after they've grown up actually tend to look like the actors playing the kids do--though, of course, grown-up Whitey looks nothing like grown-up Kurt Russell, though we couldn't've known that then.

This is one of the more obscure Disney movies, which I first saw lo, these many years ago, when the Disney Channel played their old stuff. (For that rant, see practically any other review of a live-action Disney movie from this era.) It's a shame it isn't better-known, since it's better-made than a lot of the others. I keep failing to watch [i]The Ugly Dachshund[/i] in its Hallmark Channel appearances, but they never play this one.
December 12, 2007
Good Disney film but I am perplexed as to whyt it needed to be so long at two hours plus. Well acted, great cast. A little too sugary at times but it's a rewarding film. Professionally made.