Fong Sai Yuk (The Legend) Reviews

November 2, 2011
Jet Li at his best and one of my favourite things about my childhood. I remember Fong Sai-yuk being a cheeky, smooth and exceptionally talented fighter, you will fall in love both with his boyish charm, easy badass-ery and his ridiculously cool, hilarious, bone-breaking and long-suffering mother (Josephine Siao / Xiao Fang Fang). This movie will make you laugh till you spit out anything you were eating / drinking instead of focusing all your energy on this movie, and make you cry so hard too. Outrageously creative action scenes that shame 99% of movies made today. I need to watch it again. One of my favourite movies in the entire world. I'm so glad someone reminded me about it today.
DragonEyeMorrison
May 13, 2009
Great fight sequences, great cast, the humour is a bit too much here. The usual slapstick stuff of early 90s that it's either a hit or miss. Overall this is very much worth a check, but not as good as i was expecting. The sequel seems to be better.
deano
January 19, 2008
The lightest of all Jet Li films - a mix of ridiculous 'wire-fu', farce, and romance. As Mother Fong, Josephine Siao displays a remarkable ability to be imperious and goofy at the same time. Highly recommended.
kpn666
June 30, 2006
Marvelous action and story - Jet Li movies usually have good plots.
shitfaced8
½ October 15, 2007
Pretty decent Kung Fu flick starring Jet Li. The evil Manchu clan is threatened by an underground rebel secret society called 'The Red Flower Society' who rep the Han's. Meanwhile a young Kung Fu master has fallen for the governors daughter, but must compete in a competition to win her hand in marriage. Although he loses initially, using some less than honest methods, he wins the honour regardless. But do to familial and political issues shit hits the fan, and he and his family find themselves right in the middle of the political upheavel. Pretty good overall, with a good story and plentiful and excellent fight scenes, I did think the romantic comedy-esque elements could have been toned down a lot. I felt that it brought down what otherwise would have been a really good martial arts / historical drama. Ah well, it is what it is, and that is a complaint I have for a lot of the martial arts movies that were coming out at this time. Still a very solid effort and worth a watch for fans of Martial Arts films.
May 4, 2007
Once again, see the Hong Kong Version rather than the cut up American version.
April 18, 2007
"Fist of Legend" is what I know this film to be called. Antway, expect to be surprised with Li's abilities and acting. The final fight scene is more hilarious than action-packed. The only thing lacking is the final fight scene's unconvincing special effects makeup.
½ March 8, 2015
THE STORY IS FUN AND A JOY TO WATCH. WITH SOME OF JET LI'S HIGH ACTION MARTIAL ARTS THAT IS BLEND OF COMEDY AND FAST ACTION MOVES.
½ May 18, 2008
This really needs a better cover, as this is a really good movie which you cannot tell from the cover. Great movie about the legend of Fong Sai Yuk.
March 13, 2014
Nice movie with great fighting scenes but also with a lot of humour.
November 2, 2011
½ October 25, 2010
Any FONG SAI YUK movie is a recommendation from The Shaun!
½ August 29, 2004
Now this movie is one of my favorite films. I won't say too much seeing as I am pressed for time but I must give this movie credit for being original. Though most people haven't seen this movie in the US any fan of Jet Li should put this at the top of their must see lists. The action is nice, the humor well done and the overall effect well fulfilling. Now my only problem with this movie is I can't get over the whole mouth and voice not matching, still bothers me. I will say that this movie has become one of my overall favorites and I will have to buy it one day.