Footloose Reviews

July 20, 2012
Some energetic choreography can't save this horribly wooden and completely unnecesarry remake from losing its footing and falling to the floor. The acting is bland, the script is an almost scene-for-scene, line-for-line copy of the original, and the music, worst of all, is unmemorable.
April 16, 2015
For what it was I guess it wasn't that terrible but definitely not my bag. Blah
April 7, 2015
Do we need a Footloose remake? Probably not, but I don't care because I'm not a fan of the original. I find it boring (sorry, Footloose fans, don't kill me). Craig Brewer's remake just has so much more spunk and energy. The dancing is awesome. The characters are likable. So if you don't like the original like me, check this one out!
March 12, 2015
I saw this after one of my best friends was in the musical at her school and I saw this on netflix and knew i had to watch it. When I did I fell in love with everything about it. The cast, the story and everything. I'm someone who loves romance in movies and Ariel and Ren were so cute.
February 26, 2015
Julianne Hough burning up the screen with her hotness is the only thing that saves this film. Wormald lacks the charisma that Kevin Bacon lent to the role and the remakes of the classic music are borderline offensive. Not unwatchable but definitely not good either.
February 8, 2015
Wonderful drama! No time to cry, just dance!
½ March 27, 2013
I haven't seen the '84 original starring Kevin Bacon, so I didn't go into this with those kind of expectations. The plot is a fairly simple teens vs. adults story, so I also wasn't expecting anything terribly deep. And, now having finished it I would say that my limited expectations of at least being entertained were met. Beyond that, FOOTLOOSE is a very cliched teen drama that just happens to have good music and dancing sequences. The gist of the story is that a city kid, Ren McCormack (Kenny Wormald) moves in with relatives who live in the sleepy southern town of Bomont, Georgia. Three years ago, after a tragic accident took the lives of five teenagers, the town council enacted a series of ordinances that aimed to prevent what caused it. Among those was an ordinance banning public dancing for those under 18 years of age.

To me, such a set up is flimsy at best but the film worked with it in a decent, if pedestrian, way. On the surface is functions as story in which the rebellious teens face off against the stubborn, over-protective adults. But, towards the end, they manage to shoehorn a message about parents learning to trust their children. Nice, but a little too late if you ask me. The most interesting aspect of the film to me was the way in which it pits small-town life and values against real-world logic. I don't feel like the film ever disrespected people who live like that, but it wasn't exactly friendly towards them either. More problematic to me was a minister (Dennis Quaid) who wants to protect his daughter (Julianne Hough) against an abusive guy, yet slaps her across the face when she starts mouthing him off. That one scene came as an unwelcome surprise to me, and something which seemed completely out of character.

In terms of acting, nobody was particularly bad. Dennis Quaid and Andie MacDowell came off looking the best, but I wouldn't place what they did here among their best work. As for Julianne Hough, let's just say she shouldn't abandon her singing and dancing careers. Kenny Wormald did fine as Ren McCormack but, like every other actor playing a teenager in this film, was utterly unconvincing as such. In terms of filmmaking quality, the cinematography and choreography was fine but unspectacular. Overall, it was a decent time-passer that was fitfully entertaining. It was a little too predictable for my tastes, and also not targeted to me, but that shouldn't stop teenagers enjoying it for the frivolous piece of entertainment that it is.
½ October 22, 2011
Doesn't hold a candle to original. imo..... especially the acting....
March 2, 2014
Definitely cheesy, but still a fun film.
December 14, 2012
I like the original but I'm not so sure about this one.
October 7, 2014
enjoyable movie about young life and the influence of music and dance
September 16, 2014
It's not bad, and much better than I anticipated it to be. It's fun and light, and portrays characters in grey as opposed to black and white for the most part. Better than most films in this genre.
½ March 14, 2012
Identical as in to the same level of the original, but better. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
½ May 22, 2012
For the most part I actually thought this was significantly better than the original. All the reviews I heard verbally were awful but it looks like the ratings were actually pretty decent. I didn't realize Zac Efron had dropped out of this movie or I might not have pursued it when I heard awful things, but I'm glad I made it happen. Kevin Bacon's whole dancesplosion sequence had more energy than this kids' did, and I do love John Lithgow, but I also love Dennis Quaid and I felt like this version was better written. All of the characters were more three dimensional and better developed and the people playing teenagers actually looked like they could pass for teenagers. Minus half a star because I still think there needed to be more development of the Ren-Ariel relationship before he was soooo in love with her. But otherwise, fun movie, well made, yay dancing!, better soundtrack than the 80s version which like never happens, and how adorable was Willard? His whole learning how to dance montage was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.
August 26, 2014
Well, I'll give Craig Brewer this - he probably made the best movie out of Footloose that's humanly possible. It's a waste of his talents, and he's the reason I felt I should watch it, but I won't shit on his (apparent) passion project. Either that or it's a deal he's made with a studio; he does one for them and then they do one for him. The movie is well made, despite its super thin plot. Moving it to the south helps A LOT, it's at least a little more believable, and Brewer is the perfect fit for that location. The main character was cast a little bland, but does an adequate job.
July 31, 2014
I could watch Julianne Hough stand there and do nothing. Actually, I would have preferred that. Wormald has as much charisma as my accountant, and the Director missed why he was doing doing a remake in the first place. The first movie was charming!
December 4, 2011
A remake/homage that was not too bad. Key scenes were kept including the opening foot-taping sequence and the iconic songs all made an appearance, albeit in different guises. But some of the plot changes weren't necessary. Kenny Wormald does an OK job but he is no Kevin Bacon. Some classics should just be left alone.
July 19, 2014
The original is still better and strike a chord with audience. 5 teens party to the famous theme and died after an accident with a truck. Dennis Quaid a local Reverend and councilman mourn for them. Curfew is set in the town for the teens. Dance, booze and all are ban too. 3 years passed, Kenny Wormald move into the town with his aunt (Kim Dickens and Ray McKinnon). Ray task him to fix up a battered VW Beetle and he can keep it. Driving it in town with radio full blast, a cop stop him for disturbing the peace. Kenny saw Dennis daughter Julianne Hough (striking blue eyes) and likes her. Andie MacDowell introduce them both. She lie to her parents she need to stay late at friend's house to do project but actually she go to support her racer boyfriend Patrick John Flueger and then sit on the window and tour one round. Her friend Ziah Colon think its dangerous and leave. She's changed ever since that accident. 1st day in school Miles Teller and Kenny become friends. They are both in the football team. The friends tell Kenny dancing is against the law. At the snack bar, music is played secretly for the teens to party and dance. Kenny flirt dance with Julianne. When he know she is making Patrick jealous, he back off. Dennis shows up and the party is over when he saw her dance. Ray help Kenny out of trouble in the judge hearing. Patrick ask Kenny to meet him and invite him to race bus in figure 8. Julianne remove her top as the flag. Kenny knock out them all and crash his bus too. In the library, a guy pass a joint to him but he don't want. The teacher saw him and he quickly flush it down the toilet. Kenny is angry when the principal talks about knowing his mother and getting into trouble. He dance to his content in a warehouse and Julianne saw it all. She bring him to a secret place to chill. Dennis don't like her hanging with him. Miles don't know how to dance and Ziah is upset whenever she ask him to and rejected. He is angry when she dance with a guy who touch her butt. The guy punch him when he approach him. Driving in the accident bridge, Julianne tell Kenny the story and a victim is her brother. Dennis complain to Ray about Kenny. Ray defended him. Kenny want to have a petition to revoke the dancing law. Kenny teach Miles to dance and soon he caught the dance bug. Kim sign on the petition. Julianne break up with Patrick. He beat her up when she smash his car. She is angry at Dennis to impose all the rules because of the dead brother mistake. At the city council, Kenny bring up the issue. Dennis try to bring him down. Andie speak up for Kenny and he get his chance. Kenny talk to Dennis in church about his promise to protect Julianne. Dennis agree to allow the prom dance take place in a warehouse. The folks clean it up. Kenny bring her to the dance. All the boys and girls are shy. The football captain huddle them up to invite the girls to dance. Patrick and his gang came to spoil the party. Kenny and Miles takes them down. They return and heat up the prom. Everyone dance happily. A pity the closing still shot isn't good.
July 9, 2014
2014-07-09 southernized (GA) and still joyful.
July 3, 2014
I think both this and the original would be deemed equally cheesy by most teenagers today. In terms of the remake, that is either an accomplishment, or a question about why it needed to exist.