Footnote Reviews

September 30, 2015
Footnote is a very engaging film with strong acting, storytelling, and cinematography. The culture and setting of Israel are interesting as well and add to the film's depth. The strong negative reviews are surprising, though the film is mislabeled as a 'comedy' when it is a family/political drama. I go the other way and highly recommend it.
July 8, 2015
Interesting movie about the politics of academia. The father is a real asshole character, his utter unlikability kind of hurts the movie, at least for me.
½ February 19, 2015
FOOTNOTE is the second Israeli film I've seen and while it felt rather insular in the cultural sense, it did explore some interesting themes and had a great sense of humor. The story is about a father and son, both professors of Talmudic literature. The father has largely been forgotten, his only significant achievement being a mention in a footnote in someone else's book, while his son is more celebrated. However, the dynamic between them changes when the father is selected (errantly) to receive the prestigious Israel Prize for his life's work. One thing the film does really well is explore the sometimes contentious relationship between parent and child. Eliezer (father) and Uriel (son) Shkolnik both have the same profession, yet the son's success in light of the father's failure certainly must have weighed heavily on both of their consciences. And when Eliezer is mistakenly nominated to receive the Israel Prize, his son comes to his defense since it would vindicate the decades of work for which he had previously gone unrecognized. There was also the subtle element of comedy and self-deprecating humor that seems to be part and parcel of the Jewish experience. It wasn't exactly laugh-out-loud hilarious, but there was some excellent situational humor as well as some ribbing on cutthroat competition in academia. Still, given the subject material it was a little hard for me to get into the film completely. The single element which I did connect with was the idea that a parent at some point might give up on their child, as I have had similar fears in the past. The film also had a somewhat unsatisfying ending, although it probably didn't have to show everything in order to be effective. The film was subversive enough without seeing what you know is coming. If there's one actual complaint I have, it's that the score was a little overpowering at times. Sometimes, more is less. Overall, the subject of academia is something that's a little too "inside baseball," particularly when it's about the Talmud (I'm not a Jew), but FOOTNOTE has some interesting themes that allow you a way into this story about a father-son rivalry.
½ July 30, 2012
The film ends and lets you find out the outcome. But the director has already helped the viewer a lot to understand what will actually happen.
½ September 13, 2014
Moments of brilliance in a convoluted film.
August 25, 2014
El final es un poco anticlimatico, pero la pelicula es maravillosa por donde quiera que uno la mida.Muy buena.
½ July 22, 2012
The film is about the worsening relationship between father and son. the best part of the movie is that includes dark humor in its story telling and is able to convey the complicated thinking of the elder professor. What I did not like was the film ends abruptly without culminating the story. A film worth watching.
July 31, 2014
Very enjoyable. Although it loses momentum in the end.
June 19, 2014
Slow, boring, and the ending feels unfinished. Not much to see here.
August 6, 2012
The best movie I've seen during the last week-end.
March 14, 2014
It's drawn out at times, but it works. It's shot and written beautifully and in my opinion would be a great movie for a film professor to show to his/her students. With what its got, Footnote is surreal and lively even when its slow, making it a classic in my opinion.
February 23, 2014
Has some interesting moments, but for some reason the movie has no ending. maybe the screenwriter was fired prematurely or something...
½ February 22, 2014
Footnote" deals with ambition, isolation, the dangers of too much success and the inevitable gap between generations. I say SEE IT!!!
February 19, 2014
The film won the Best Screenplay Award at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. Footnote won nine prizes at the 2011 Ophir Awards, becoming Israel's entry for the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.[3][4] On 18 January 2012, the film was named as one of the nine shortlisted entries for the Oscars.[5] On 24 January 2012, the film was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Foreign Film,[6] but lost to the Iranian film A Separation.
½ May 8, 2012
So, I don't quite know what this wanted to be. On one hand, it could have been this fun, kind of off beat comedy, or it could have been a family drama. This was a weird mixture of both, and I didn't know whether I should be laughing or not. Something I did like was that this was about a niche subject, it was still able to be followed and relatable. This was a lot in part thanks to the acting of Shlomo Bar-Aba and Lior Ashkenazi, who played the father and son. I really enjoyed both of their performances. These are two complicated men and their relationship with each other is just as complicated. So, in the end, I think this is interesting, but I wish is was more focused in what it was trying to say.
½ November 1, 2013
I agree completely with Matt Kelemen, who says that the movie takes place in "second gear" almost all the time and at the end even goes back to first gear. Very slow movie about a boring theme such as scholarly politics... its got its good moments with the realisation of truth by the unbearable Eliezer Shkolnik, and the wrinkles in the head of Yehuda Grossman. But all in all its not really worth it, in my opinion.
August 12, 2013
For an hour Footnote is able to be intelligently thoughtful on intellectual competitiveness and father-son relationships while still entertaining, but for the last half hour the depth gets lost in strange stylistic turns.
½ July 22, 2013
I've been a voyeur on Rotten Tomatoes for several years, using it as my bible in regards to what movies to watch. It's fairly rare where I disagree with a 90%+ rating, but this film was so patently awful, without a single redeeming quality, that I actually took the time to register an account to leave a review.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm the sort of guy who likes highbrow, low key, undercover films. My friends tease me because I'll only go to art house theaters and not the local megaplex. So before you write me off, consider that I'm one of you - I like small scale, personal, slow moving films.

However, I can honestly say that this is probably the worst film I've ever seen. There's not a single compelling reason to watch it. My only thought after the credits appeared was "I'll never get those two hours of my life back." This film was beyond sterile, beyond uninteresting and beyond watchable. In fact, it ruined my faith in the Rotten Tomatoes rating system (it has to be rigged).

Well, that's it. Hate me, go on, just don't waste your time on this awful film.
July 11, 2013
This movie was pretty intense...
July 9, 2013
This is a movie about details and minutia about fathers and sons, grudges, love and differences. It very well done but it is very dense at times and the subtitles fly fast and furious.