• PG, 1 hr. 45 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Footnote Reviews

August 25, 2014
El final es un poco anticlimatico, pero la pelicula es maravillosa por donde quiera que uno la mida.Muy buena.
July 22, 2012
The film is about the worsening relationship between father and son. the best part of the movie is that includes dark humor in its story telling and is able to convey the complicated thinking of the elder professor. What I did not like was the film ends abruptly without culminating the story. A film worth watching.
July 31, 2014
Very enjoyable. Although it loses momentum in the end.
June 19, 2014
Slow, boring, and the ending feels unfinished. Not much to see here.
August 6, 2012
The best movie I've seen during the last week-end.
March 14, 2014
It's drawn out at times, but it works. It's shot and written beautifully and in my opinion would be a great movie for a film professor to show to his/her students. With what its got, Footnote is surreal and lively even when its slow, making it a classic in my opinion.
February 23, 2014
Has some interesting moments, but for some reason the movie has no ending. maybe the screenwriter was fired prematurely or something...
February 22, 2014
Footnote" deals with ambition, isolation, the dangers of too much success and the inevitable gap between generations. I say SEE IT!!!
mark d.
February 19, 2014
The film won the Best Screenplay Award at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. Footnote won nine prizes at the 2011 Ophir Awards, becoming Israel's entry for the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.[3][4] On 18 January 2012, the film was named as one of the nine shortlisted entries for the Oscars.[5] On 24 January 2012, the film was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Foreign Film,[6] but lost to the Iranian film A Separation.
May 8, 2012
So, I don't quite know what this wanted to be. On one hand, it could have been this fun, kind of off beat comedy, or it could have been a family drama. This was a weird mixture of both, and I didn't know whether I should be laughing or not. Something I did like was that this was about a niche subject, it was still able to be followed and relatable. This was a lot in part thanks to the acting of Shlomo Bar-Aba and Lior Ashkenazi, who played the father and son. I really enjoyed both of their performances. These are two complicated men and their relationship with each other is just as complicated. So, in the end, I think this is interesting, but I wish is was more focused in what it was trying to say.
Roberto O.
November 1, 2013
I agree completely with Matt Kelemen, who says that the movie takes place in "second gear" almost all the time and at the end even goes back to first gear. Very slow movie about a boring theme such as scholarly politics... its got its good moments with the realisation of truth by the unbearable Eliezer Shkolnik, and the wrinkles in the head of Yehuda Grossman. But all in all its not really worth it, in my opinion.
zafmonkey
August 12, 2013
For an hour Footnote is able to be intelligently thoughtful on intellectual competitiveness and father-son relationships while still entertaining, but for the last half hour the depth gets lost in strange stylistic turns.
H. C.
July 22, 2013
I've been a voyeur on Rotten Tomatoes for several years, using it as my bible in regards to what movies to watch. It's fairly rare where I disagree with a 90%+ rating, but this film was so patently awful, without a single redeeming quality, that I actually took the time to register an account to leave a review.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm the sort of guy who likes highbrow, low key, undercover films. My friends tease me because I'll only go to art house theaters and not the local megaplex. So before you write me off, consider that I'm one of you - I like small scale, personal, slow moving films.

However, I can honestly say that this is probably the worst film I've ever seen. There's not a single compelling reason to watch it. My only thought after the credits appeared was "I'll never get those two hours of my life back." This film was beyond sterile, beyond uninteresting and beyond watchable. In fact, it ruined my faith in the Rotten Tomatoes rating system (it has to be rigged).

Well, that's it. Hate me, go on, just don't waste your time on this awful film.
July 11, 2013
This movie was pretty intense...
July 9, 2013
This is a movie about details and minutia about fathers and sons, grudges, love and differences. It very well done but it is very dense at times and the subtitles fly fast and furious.
June 16, 2013
Remarkable plot, how do you think it ends?
September 22, 2012
One of the most amazing stories in movies.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 7, 2013
A man who has followed in his father's footsteps in the study of the Talmud give up a prestigious prize for his father's benefit.
There are moments in Footnote that resonate with any academic. The satire of the cramped rooms and the highfalutin conversations in academic babble is sharp, biting, and accurate. This also has the distinction of being one of the few films about academe that doesn't include a relationship between a teacher and a student, and for that it deserves applause. Not limited to satirizing the academy, the film is also about fathers and sons and the tough love fathers sometimes bone-headedly think their sons need. This plot is poignant and universal.
What bothers me about the film are the ending, where I though we needed more clarity, and the film's misogyny. The women are all either idiots or supporters, and when Eliezer's wife finds out the film's primary secret, her response is merely to support more. The female characters lack any agency in the home or the profession, and while it's true that some sections of academe are miniature boys' clubs, the film doesn't seem to level its satire bullseye at the phallocentrism of the academy.
Overall, there's a lot to like about this film, but where it fails, it fails big.
Carlo C.
April 8, 2013
Historia sobre la (mala) relación de un padre y un hijo, ambos estudiosos eruditos del Torá, ambos entregados a su trabajo en cuerpo y alma, ambos con aspiraciones de reconocimiento público y ambos ligados de forma irremediable. Un error hará que tengan que enfrentar sus miedos, resentimientos entre ellos y hasta hacer sacrificios.
Muy buena como 3/4 partes de la película al final para mi gusto aflojó.
March 23, 2013
Para reírse de la desgracia