For Keeps Reviews

January 4, 2008
After the relatively demanding "Cracks", I felt like a nice movie, something comforting from the past... and this one fit the mood well. It's surprising that I would like a "baby" movie, I guess, but this one got me quite young. I still say it has the worst beginning to a movie ever, though, I was eating while I was watching this one tonight, and it nearly made me sick!
Another thing I like about this, is even though it has the required happy ending, it's not sugar coated or overly sentimental. This young couple hit every obstacle going - teen pregnancy. poverty, no support from family, post natal depression and the overall strain of being a young married couple with a baby. Though it is romantic in a way, the situation sure isn't.
Molly Ringwald is wonderful here. I always think she is wonderful, I have loved her since Pretty in Pink, but she really is outstanding here as Darcy. Beautiful, smart, if it wasn't for the whole pregnancy bit, what young girl would't want to be her?! Randall Batinkoff is also nice as Stan. I am surprised this movie was not more popular at the time. I guess now it is a little dated, if you did not grow up with it as I did, but for anyone who likes a good 80's teen movie, can't really go past this.
I guess it's a sign of my age that finally I can really relate to Mrs Elliot in this too. I never really thought about her, past being Darcy's mum, but on rewatch, I actually found her quite moving, as I realised her fear was coming from things that happened to her. Scary.
September 6, 2010
Ringwald plays a pregnant teen graduating from high school. The story is good, as are the actors. I really liked this movie, and if you're a fan of hers too, you'll enjoy it.
October 28, 2009
I was surprised with this old flick, haven't actually seen it before but its really good, really sweet and touching. I thought it would be a boring sickening story as we follow two kids in love, getting pregnant, breaking up etc..but its pretty engaging and keeps you interested, I think the 80's charm has alot to do with that :) Molly Ringwald being the teen queen of the era.
Some nice lines raise afew smiles here and there and the whole look and feel is just right, you can relate to the story, that's the important thing.
mwilliams078
September 1, 2008
For Keeps is a good film with Molly Ringwald. What happens to a young couple when trying to get ready to graduate high school, attend college and now a new born...too much stress and a test of devotion...a cute film.
½ October 17, 2006
Cute.
iLeo
April 12, 2007
A favorite.
March 5, 2010
I am sure the makers of For Keeps meant well, but the writing is so trite, and surprisingly sloppy direction from John G. Avildsen. It is not very well acted by anyone, except Conchata Farrell. The whole story just doesn?t ring true. It?s just phony and therefore not very moving.
½ March 31, 2007
Still a great movie after all these years. Life is tough sometimes but love can and will always pull you through.
March 19, 2009
Pretty good. Really interesting. Molly Ringwald is awesome. This movie was really fun to watch. Seeing how that could happen to people I know. Really interesting movie. Movies about teenage pregnancies are always interesting.
½ August 21, 2008
I usually like the movies that Molly Ringwald is in, but I did not like this one at all. I found this movie very boring and all the characters are annoying and the fact that everything was always peachy for the teens also was annoying. This is a movie that I will never watch again.
June 28, 2008
I really love this movie...so it is lighthearted but it expresses feelings first time parents go through. As with my unplanned pregnancy i felt too like I could rule the world like Darcy and was optimistic not knowing that children a rite of passage for some and a turning point that you can never go back only move forward. Growth is needed and self improvement/discovery with this huge sense of responsiblity, the notion that I am the be all say all of a little soul is the scariest idea in my life but the greatest priveledge. Granted outside forces intervene but ultimately your child is a gift that is a part of your physical self and chunk spiritual self. The realizations that one comes to when holding the little stranger for the first time, or the drive from the hospital or the moment that one finally feels comfortable with a child and not like a complete fool but the idea of being able to do this and not just to get it done but to raise a child with all your being and essence. This films seems to capture the importance of dreams and detours which we all face even the most organized of us all.

And most of the joys of partnership and parenthood
The couple deals with limited financial resources which most parents do, post pardem depression, and ultimately the choice to make it work as a couple. This was a film I enjoyed as a kid and later as an adult as well...
June 3, 2008
Good movie but might not want young children to see it. Although a good warning for teens to a point. Its funny and witty but all the way an 80's movie
½ April 8, 2008
this is very touching but predictable..and its sugarcoated plotline is very 80's but it worth watching and you will cry.
½ January 12, 2008
Soooo depressing! My mom made me watch this so I wouldn't get knocked up in high school. And I guess it worked. . .but still. The acting was bad and the story was Lifetime Television for Women-y. But I guess there's a good lesson to be learned.
May 16, 2007
This movie was great and all teenagers who think they are "in love" should be required to watch it. It's a reality check and a half.
May 6, 2007
I've seen this movie a few times over the years and it is heart-warming, though I don't think it's one of Molly's best. Still, it's a good movie and you should atleast rent it and see for yourselves.
May 6, 2007
Ringwald's most serious role, conveys a really strong message that all teenagers should probably know of, and shows that even if you get yourself in trouble, there are always people who are going to be there for you.
½ April 26, 2007
As I've said before, not a Ringwald fan. This movie sends a strong message, and is probably good for most teens/young adults to watch, but when I watched it way back when, I didn't like it; it was dull and predictable and was part of the period when adults were shoving the consequences of teen pregnancy down gen Xer's throats.
½ April 12, 2007
Should be one of the movies that a "Younger Audience" should watch when they think its cool to be pregnant or that it cant happen to them!!!
½ January 8, 2007
awww it reminds me of early 90's and all the after school special back home and all the afternoon movies you'd watch :D so cute I heart her!