For Love of the Game Reviews

blkbomb
August 18, 2013
Vin Scully: The cathedral that is Yankee Stadium belongs to a Chapel.

"Billy Chapel must choose between the woman he loves or the game he lives for."

For Love of the Game is a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's sort of weird that it has taken me this long to get to it. I love baseball and I really like Costner because of his love for two of my loves, movies and baseball. This may not be the best baseball themed movie he's starred in, but it's another great one. There's passion in it and in the end it is a really worthwhile, heartfelt, and inspiring film.

Billy Chapel is an aging pitcher for the Detroit Tigers; he's forty to be exact. He was drafted right out of high school at the age of 18 and he quickly became one of the best pitchers in the game, and a sure fire hall of famer. Now with his career coming to close, he finds himself in New York and he's getting the start. The day of the game he finds out two pieces of bad news, firstly the owner of the Tigers, whom Chapel has been extremely close to for years is selling the team and the buyers plan on trading Chapel after the season. Secondly, Chapel's girl, who has been casually seeing for years is leaving for a job in London. When Chapel takes the hill for the game, he begins flirting with a perfect game, as a he flashes back to his relationship with the girl he loves.

The movie can come off as somewhat corny at times, but for the most part it seems honest and real. It's hard to describe exactly how this movie made me feel throughout, but there was a lot of emotion that came with the story and the backstory. I loved the way the flashbacks were used throughout the game and I loved the raw emotion of the character that is Billy Chapel and how Costner brought that character to life.

This is one that all baseball fans and fans of baseball movies need to see. It's not the best of the genre, but it is still a far above average addition. It's powerful at times, funny at times, sad at times, and fun at times. The movie is a roller coaster of different emotions and it all ends up working pretty well together.
MANUGINO
April 16, 2008
Billy Chapel must choose between the woman he loves and the game he lives for.

Saw it again! Absolutely love this movie. Kevin Costner and Kelly Preston dazzle completely. The story is quite good and entertaining. Sports movies like this one I could watch every day.

Baseball great Billy Chapel, 40, wants nothing more than to reconnect with his one-time lover, Jane Aubrey. On the morning he's to pitch the last game of the season, she tells him she's leaving that evening for a job in London; he also learns that the Detroit Tigers' new owners plan to trade him. As he pitches that night, he must decide whether to accept the trade or quit the game he loves, and between innings, he recalls meeting Jane, their first date, happy times, miscommunication, and what may be a final break. Meanwhile, with Vin Scully announcing, one Yankee batter after another fails to reach first base. Can Billy pitch a perfect game, and if so, what does it matter if he loses Jane?
September 10, 2009
Billy Chapel (Kevin Costner) is an aging major league pitcher for the Detroit Tigers. Billy does everything he can to be the best at the only thing he really cares about....baseball. However, Billy lucks up and finds a great woman named Jane (Kelly Preston). Will Billy find someone that he really really cares a lot about with Jane, or will America's favorite pastime, baseball, still be the only thing that Billy Chapel will fight for? I recommend watching the movie to find out.
"Field of Dreams" is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know that just about everybody's question will be "Is For Love of the Game as great as Field of Dreams?" after they see that this is a baseball movie and that Kevin Costner is the movie's main star. In my opinion, they're both great movies and they're two of the best sports movies ever made, but I didn't think that "For Love of the Game" is quite as good as "Field of Dreams" is. This movie has its spectacular times such as when Billy is giving it all he's got to try and get a perfect game. The love interest between Billy and Jane is also interesting and well done. I think the only reason that I didn't think it was as good as "Field of Dreams" is because "Field of Dreams" was VERY original and it was unbelievably captivating. Whereas, "For Love of the Game" is a great movie, but it's not as original and not as captivating as "Field of Dreams."

If you like great sports or baseball movies, and especially if you liked "Field of Dreams," I recommend getting "For Love of the Game." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. I was one of the thousands that were hyped to see this to see if it would be as good as "Field of Dreams", but no, not even in the same ballpark, or league.
½ September 7, 2007
A good sports movie but it's more of a drama about a guy that is nearing the end of his career. Costner plays the role well and the rest of the cast works around his character nicely.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 22, 2007
great flick, i love that kelly preston
November 7, 2006
It was okay.
March 31, 2013
Clichéd in parts and involving in others, For Love of the Game is a largely uneven romantic drama/baseball movie. It has a premise that is familiar, hinging on a final game and involving a romance that prematurely breaks up, but also has a clever structure in that its built up largely from flashbacks. This results in moments that feel real and well realized, and others that feel too tired and forced.

The performances are also hit or miss, with Kevin Costner being mostly strong, but having no real chemistry with Kelly Preston, especially in the beginning two thirds of the film. Both actors seem to hit their stride in the last act, as does the script and direction, but the chemistry is certainly not evident in a number of scenes. This speaks to the film's overall momentum, lagging for most of the film, but picking up considerable strength in what is an actually fairly well done ending.

The direction by Sam Rami was good from the standpoint that it built tension well, especially during the game moments, but got overly self indulgent, especially with the very last game sequence, feeling a bit choppy.

Overall, it has elements that work well, and other elements which feel dull, but does enough just right to make it pass as a serviceable drama, if not one of Costner's more forgettable baseball movies.

3/5 Stars
June 6, 2007
On the surface, this movie is a cheesy romance flick, but what makes it unique is it's backdrop. An aging pitcher, at the end of his career, looks back on how it all started, while in the middle of pitching what could be his final game. Along with the flashbacks of his baseball memories, come flashbacks of his romance, which are long and lame. The baseball part of it is what attracted me and is great. If this was strictly a sports movie, it would be 5 stars. The story of his career is much stronger than several other films dedicated to just the game. With this film you have to take the good with the bad. At times it seems like two entirely different movies and it really takes away from what is otherwise a great film.
October 31, 2010
I thought this beat the snot out of Field of Dreams as a sports movie. It's real baseball and not ghosts walking out of a corn field to play ball. But I loved the character development throughout the nine innings of ball and the fact that this wasn't just a herculean effort but a guy at the end of his rope, putting everything down on the table and then trusting in the guys to carry him when he can't any farther.
April 10, 2007
I rather enjoyed this Baseball Flick, although it felt like a Baseball Melo-Drama or Dramedy, yet It still has the right stuff, to keep you intuned untill the very last pitch.
March 16, 2008
Boring as hell director for hire work from Raimi. I'm sure Costner wanted to hire a director who was easy to push around, and Raimi, who was so seeking approval in Hollywood, served that purpose perfectly. Heck, when this came out he all but called his fans idiots in an Entertainment Weekly article. I'm certain Raimi can never make a movie worse than this one.
toejambaseball24
½ July 30, 2007
I wish that there was more baseball and less cheesy love story, although I liked how the baseball scenes were done. Oh, and Kelly Preston is very nice to look at.
March 13, 2006
Good movie, but then most baseball movies are (to me anyways :P).
½ August 9, 2012
Kevin Costner usually does not interest me. I don't know if I'd call him a bad actor, it's just that his characters tend to be bland. But he is a baseball fan, and I think the films he has chosen in which the game is the subject matter tend to be his better films. I haven't seen most of them in a long long while, but I have recently re-watched this Sam Raimi baseball film: "For Love of the Game"...and when it focuses on the game and not the rather mundane/average love story, it is actually pretty good. The present day game Costner is pitching, and the interactions with other players in flashbacks are interesting, but the romance angle is a whole lot of bleh. Raimi is a better director than this - but the movie isn't unwatchable, because the true drama and tensity of what a real Perfect Game is like is there...but that stuff has enough weight that I don't care about his girlfriend issues too much, especially when they don't do anything new with that material.
October 23, 2013
Longer than it needs to be, and sappy/predictable at times, but overall really enjoyable. I liked how Costner's character was reflecting on his career throughout the game. I feel that very few baseball movies show the pitcher alone on the mound with his thoughts. It's usually pretty rare. All in all, this is a good, likable baseball film. Worth seeing if you're a legitimate baseball fan.
September 16, 2007
I don't know what it is ...maybe it's the Tigers uniform. Maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for baseball movies, but I enjoyed this even though it's horribly predictable and they do what tends to bug me about sports movies ... when they have the play by play announcer basically hold your hand through every inch of drama in the game. I mean, I know that not everyone who watches the movie is a baseball fan, so you kinda have to do it, but it wears on you after a while. Overall, it's a pretty typical romance story with baseball as the backdrop, and I'd say it's worth watching.
June 23, 2013
This movie really as cookie cutter as it gets. This is not even a good baseball movie, and it spends tons of times concentrating on the relationship between Costner and Preston instead of the game instead. The movie is also far too long and I could not wait for this to be over.
½ May 17, 2012
Not as good as Field of Dreams, but a really solid Baseball film nonetheless. Costner is good. Great ending. Really captures the spirit of Baseball!
½ July 1, 2011
I shouldn't like this movie . . . it's a chick flick and it has Kevin Costner in it. Yet, I'm attracted to it for some reason. Probably the baseball angle. Vin Scully is masterful. I like how the love story is intertwined in the baseball game.

For all of Costner's faults, he makes pretty good baseball movies.

You earn gravy points with your woman for watching something she likes, and you get to see the Yankees lose. It's pretty good all the way around in that sense.
May 5, 2011
Just your standard, well-made, decently acted sports drama. Honestly, I give the film an extra star because Kevin Costner actually looks like a baseball player (which he was in college).