Forbidden Zone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forbidden Zone Reviews

January 27, 2013
One by one, a cartoonish family is sucked into the 6th Dimension (ruled by king Herve Villachez and queen Susan Tyrell) in this cult musical comedy. Wild, weird and utterly unique, like a mixture of Jean Cocteau, the Three Stooges, and Betty Boop cartoons, with Busby Berkley-style choreography and music by Oingo Boingo.
September 6, 2010
A fantastically eclectic crazy musical, and I love it.
October 15, 2008
'Forbidden Zone': Don't Say You Weren't Warned!

Yikes! What netherworld of dementia did I just land in? Imaginative, outlandish, kitschy, purile, grotesque cult film fodder. Worth a look so you can decide for yourself how to finish the sentence, "So bad it's...."
½ March 7, 2008
The best things in this move were the songs. It was okay, but I wouldn't watch it again.
January 27, 2007
A great score, insane characters and bizarre situations make this my favourite musical of all time (maybe a tie with Pennies from Heaven).
March 19, 2013
This quickly became a favorite within the first minutes. A very absurd and cartoony aesthetic with a nice mix of Rocky Horror Picture Show comes something truly entertaining and well crafted. The soundtrack is amazing. Forbidden Zone is truly one of a kind
½ April 19, 2007
I really don't know WHAT to think after seeing it.. I'm very glad i didn't have any dreams after.. wow.. that was all f'd up.. lol.. however, makes me wonder if a certain Joss Whedon has seen it, as Danny Elfman's portrayal of satan, comes REALLY close to the demon from Once More With Feeling.. like.. some better makeup, and a different color.. and without Oingo Boingo backup it would be the same scene. Still not sure what I was supposed to take away from it.. but.. it was an experience.
January 2, 2012
Forbidden Zone (1980) -- [6.5] -- A gift from cult movie heaven for which no summary could do justice, "Forbidden Zone" is a prolonged crash of the whacky and perverse. The utterly irreverent storyline tests my patience in a few places, but the inventive animation and catchy soundtrack (featuring Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo) keep things afloat. Susan Tyrrell is camp-tastic as the sadistic queen of another dimension.
½ March 16, 2007
Gave this a re-watch off the to-watch pile: it holds up really well on a repeated viewing.

Bizarro fun from the Elfman Clan, worth a look just to wonder at the sheer lunacy of it all, as they make a lot of the limited budget and their own creative freedom.

Give it a rental.
October 18, 2010
A bizarre and over the top musical with an assortment of unusual characters, including the devil himself, Danny Elfman. Just read the plot description to know if this movie is for you. Highly recommended to those people. Great music, interesting play-like sets, and outlandish performances.
January 1, 2009
"Come with us to the land of sin and pleasure. You'll be surprised by the things that you will see." - The cast of Forbidden Zone

Now I'm not what you would call a fan of musicals. The idea of people bursting into sudden fits of song, unless used for comic effect or in a cartoon, will usually turn me off immediately (I think the only serious musicals that I love are The Wizard Of Oz and Dancer In The Dark). That's not to say that musicals are bad movies, they're just not my cup of tea. Now, having said that, I'd like to talk about this twisted, hallucinatory, and hilarious example of the genre. Until about three years ago, my favorite musical was The Rocky Horror Picture Show (which should come as no surprise to those of you familiar with my taste in movies), but then, one day, a friend of mine stumbled upon this gem. He bought it two weeks later, and once I got a chance to see it for myself I was hooked. Rocky Horror had to take a backseat. There is no way to explain this movie to someone. It's like an acid trip set to Cab Calloway. The music (an odd mixture of French songs, rumba, Jewish songs, Cab Calloway [with some humorously altered lyrics] and some original Danny Elfman creations) is fucking awesome. Every time I watch it the entire soundtrack gets stuck in my head for about a week. It stars Herve Villechaize (Tattoo from Fantasy Island) as the horn dog king of the sixth dimension, Susan Tyrell (Wizards, Andy Warhol's Bad) as the sadistic queen, Matthew Bright (director of Freeway and one of Forbidden Zone's co-writers) as the chicken loving Squeezit and his gender confused twin brother/sister Rene, and Danny Elfman (if you don't know who he is then you must be living under a rock) as Satan. The set design (done by Marie-Pascale Elfman who also stars as Frenchy) is unforgettably weird, and the integration of animation is pretty amazing for a film with such a low budget. This movie was made as a way of capturing the insanity of The Mystic Knights Of The Oingo Boingo, and in my opinion it was a total success. If you're a fan of strange, offbeat and purposely offensive movies then buy this right now. I can almost guarantee your total satisfaction.
½ June 3, 2009
If you like Oingo Boingo I would watch it or if you are willing to watch anything otherwise run away. It's a little out there.
½ July 9, 2008
If you think this movie sounds awful and you'd hate it, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! It is just as sick, pointless, and horrid as you imagine.
June 8, 2008
New Wave vaudeville, courtesy of the brothers Elfman. Herve Villechaize as Emperor of the Fourth Dimension, Danny Elfman as the Devil.
November 14, 2007
Wacked out comedy, I like it though. If you listen to the music it resembles Squirrel Nut Zippers, in the afterlife.
November 12, 2007
To me this is the ultimate cult movie. Deliciously depraved and bizzare! And who couldn't love Danny Elfman's portrayal of Satan. Just brilliant!
August 8, 2007
great & horrible - you can see echoes that of this movie in nightmare before christmas - i'm sure in today's light it would be seen as soooo racist
½ July 1, 2007
A warped musical comedy scored by Oingo Boingo. There are some outstanding musical segments, like the ABC song, but they were bogged down by forced quirkiness. Often, this film was weird just or the sake of being weird, which detracted from the authentically silly premise. Definitely worth a watch, though. Unforgettable and contagiously hummable.
June 29, 2007
What's a nice Jewish boy like you doing in the sixth dimension?

...Danny Eflman plays Satan. It's a musical. There's not really anything else you'd need to know about this film to bask in its awesomeness.
½ June 4, 2007
Definetly a movie that the mainstream audience will never understand. But I think it is hillarious and just awesome!