Total Recall: The 20 Greatest Fights Scenes Ever

Summary

The long-awaited showdown between Jackie Chan and Jet Li in The Forbidden Kingdom got us thinking; what are the greatest fights ever filmed? We sifted through quite a few battles, and came up with a list that celebrates the finest in hand-to-hand combat. Back to Article

Comments

kobe8byrant

Teh Daniel

RT, please do 20 Asian and 20 Western?

And I thought Jet Li's Tai Chi Master fight scene was way better than Fist of Legend. And Fearless where Li fought that dude in the rain? That was awesome.

Apr 18 - 03:43 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

You'd think it were still April Fool's Day. I'm still waiting for Tim to come on here and say "gotcha!" This has got to be the single most damning example of poor taste I've ever seen no RT. "Greatest Fight Scenes Ever"?! Somebody call this man a doctor.

Apr 18 - 04:04 AM

mightyfooda

dan drew

Fist of Legend was a remake of the Chinese Connection, not Fists of Fury, and half this list sucks.

Apr 18 - 04:19 AM

mightyfooda

dan drew

C'mon, I just finished this list, and couldn't be more confused. Everyone does have their own tastes, but I just don't get this at all. I would probably include about 8 of these, but all the other ones either left me scratching my head or downright annoyed.
But I must say that actually having the video for all the fights was pretty damn cool, so I guess that evens it out.

Apr 18 - 04:28 AM

mightyfooda

dan drew

And how does Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris in Return of the Dragon not make it? Or Vann Damme vs that giant Chinese dude in Bloodsport? or the only great part about the Phantom Menace, the Darth Maul fight scene? I'm sure more will come to me later.

Apr 18 - 04:52 AM

ENDGAMEFROMKORVUS

Jeff Thomas

Errr...didn't Crispin Glover have a sword/cane in that crappy Charlie's Angels fight?

Apr 18 - 05:47 AM

sophosmoros

Ivan Velasco

1. I didn't think the Charlie's Angel scene was so crappy. For what it was - a stylized, somewhat tongue-in-cheek remake of an already campy TV show from the 70's - I thought the movie AND the fight scene were actually very good.

2. I do agree that there's some serious inconsisetncy going on here, though. And certainly, it must be very difficult to put together a list like this. I think that it may be important to better define the list's parameters and set those out along with the list, so as not to leave readers confused. Also, aside from some fight scenes that are bookended by gun use, are we supposed to ignore the use of the garotte in From Russia With Love and the pool cue in Road House, or are these not considered weapons?

Apr 18 - 12:34 PM

brannigan82

Mitch Fallon

Oh come on!

What about Walter VS. the Nihilists from The Big Lebowski? Did Donny die for NOTHING?!?

Can a Hi-Fi system be classified as a weapon?

That's a tough one...

Apr 18 - 06:04 AM

whiskeyriver

Rye O.

The reactions of these RT posters is very embarrassing. You people complain about EVERY-THING. Everything.

I'd wager $1,000 that if RT named Citizen Kane as the best film ever, you all would be screaming "NO WAYYY!!!!!" Absurd.

Apr 18 - 06:07 AM

brettswiz

Brett Swiecinski

lol great list. Pretty much agree with all the choices. I would maybe throw in the Rocketeer fight at the end of the movie instead of the last couple but my own opinion.

btw its fine to say your own choices/opinions, but to say this is the worst list of all time? I swear people complain about anything!!!

Apr 18 - 06:25 AM

New_Order

Glenn Davie

This list should be titled "The 20 Most Iconic Fight Scenes".

Apr 18 - 06:16 AM

mightyfooda

dan drew

I musta missed the no weapons part. One thing I think is funny are the people complaining about people complaining. What do you think the ability to post is for, to tell them all how great they are?
I agree with the kid that said it should have been called most Iconic Fight Scenes. Either far too much, or little, effort went into figuring this list out. Another movie that got dissed was Dragon: the Bruce Lee story. That movie had GREAT fight scenes in it, and doesn't get the respect that it deserves, and makes me wonder why Jason Scott Lee's career went in the crapper.
Also, the complete lack of Van Damme is unnerving. Bloodsport will always be my favorite "I am only watching this for the fights" movie.If for the unintentional comedy alone! "I too, am here for the Kumite!"

Apr 18 - 07:57 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, loved that film too. But have you seen it lately? The fight scenes weren't as great as I remembered them. However, I too wonder what happened to Jason Scott Lee. I recently saw him in Nomad, which wasn't that bad (emphasis on "that"). I appreciated the story for the low budget fare that it was and had no complaints regarding his performance. You should check it out.

Apr 18 - 08:14 AM

brettswiz

Brett Swiecinski

Apr 18 - 06:25 AM

willpower

will molinar

I agree with the Mel Gibson vs Gary Busey in Lethal. Awesome fight. What about Bruce against that blonde terrorist in Die Hard? I mean c'mon, Bridget Jones' Diary? Gimme a break. And what about the greatest chick fight ever between Darryl Hannah and Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Vol. 2? That is not on here? Weak.

Apr 18 - 06:37 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

brettswiz, whiskeyriver, get over yourselves. This is an opinion board, right? If we think the list sucks, we're gonna say so. If you endorse the list, you're gonna say so. It's not that deep.

Apr 18 - 06:38 AM

karate0kat

Caitlin Mackie

Am I the only one who thinks the bar fight from Serenity should have been included? Yeah, Mal and River both have guns in the end, but neither ever uses them, she just kicks the crap out of everybody. Nobody moves like Summer Glau.

Apr 18 - 06:59 AM

minderbinder

anonymous anonymous

Glad to see the Matrix included, with the backlash over the sequels people tend to forget that they had a number of the greatest fight scenes ever. The Agent Smith stuff is awesome, but so is the training in the dojo as well as Trinity's opening fight.

I'd love to see a list of just kung fu movies, I'm partial to Iron Monkey myself.

Really, no mention of Kill Bill in a list 20 deep PLUS honorable mentions?

Apr 18 - 07:19 AM

Kahless

John Taylor

I wondered why more Bruce Lee fights weren't mentioned or Jett Li from "Fearless", but then I remembered one of rules: no weapons. In many of the iconic fights not mentioned, weapons were used (swords, knives, stars, nunchukus). I still wonder why Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris wasn't even on the list.

Apr 18 - 07:48 AM

mightyfooda

dan drew

Apr 18 - 07:57 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Apr 18 - 08:14 AM

Sablicious

Sablicious ko

Far from an accurate list IMO. Where's 'Once Upon a Time in China' or those two Scandinavian guys Vs Jet Li in 'Kiss of the Dragon'? The fight in the chateau in 'The Matrix Reloaded' was better than the subway scene in the original. Not mentions Drago Vs Rocky being MUCH more entertaining than the Apollo bout... >_>

Apr 18 - 08:07 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Apr 18 - 08:14 AM

spitting into the wind

ciaran kelly

Is this the list of the worst fight scenes ever???
IT'S PATHETIC.
Rotten Tomatoes should be ashamed for producing such a sub-standard list.

Apr 18 - 08:24 AM

flickerframe

Sandip Ramakrishnan

Just to echo a point made earlier - No Bruce Lee v/s Chuck Norris!!!! That is just total and complete blasphemy. Also Bruce Lee V/s the Japanese Karate school in Fist of Fury is more iconic than any fight ever filmed or fought ever. And all of Bruce Lees fights in Enter the Dragon should be here too. I understand you trying to pick the best, but then Bruce Lee vs KAJ aint the best, and Bruce Lee does not belong anywhere below No.1.

Also some other crazy omissions IMO:

Cool Hand Luke

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress