—— The Identical Sep 05

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Force 10 from Navarone Reviews

January 12, 2014
After both Shaw and Ford coming off of their career highlights: Jaws, and Star Wars respectively, they unleash Force 10 from Navarone. This movie certainly isn't Shaw's next Jaws, or Ford's next Star Wars. But it has good quality and a unique plot with some witty scenarios, as well as great acting by both Shaw and Ford. I believe anybody can watch this although children may get bored, but any fans of Shaw or Ford or is a fan of movies involving Nazis - yes Nazis are in this, it kind of reminds me of Indiana Jones which stars Ford. People fans of films involving Nazis, war, and escaping nail-biting situations then this is the movie for you. I only give this a 3/5 because I am not a huge fan of these types of movies, and some of the acting beside Shaw and Ford is flat.
Sgt. Cockstrain
December 30, 2013
If you thought the original was too stuffy and slow and you wanted more action, well this might be what you're after. It has a more American cast and the action runs right through rather than mostly at the end like the first, although to call this a sequel is a little rich. The only real issue here is that there is a lot more action, but none of it is really anything special. So as a action war film with a simple plot this is well worth a look, but it's nothing more than that though.
muffin0681
May 16, 2013
I own this on DVD in a two movie pack along with:
* The Guns Of Navarone (1961)
boulderjoe
August 3, 2013
Oh yeah. A great war movie for a kid.
Myka B.
June 22, 2013
I know it's not Guns,but i love this film.
July 5, 2007
Really odd early Harrison Ford film. I was such a fanboy that I saw this multiple times, despite the fact that it's pretty bad.
Apeneck F

February 7, 2013
Standard bit about our early special forces boys going against the evil Nazis plotting world demise. There's no surprises here, none at all, but everyone does gives their money's worth. Not bad, but not good either.
December 30, 2012
Guy Hamilton's workman-like direction makes this a solid enough World War II movie. Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford lead a small band of Allied troops behind enemy lines to blow up a bridge in the Balkans. Their mission is made harder by the fact that the group is infiltrated by a Nazi agent who does his best to thwart the plan. There's a solid cast including Edward Fox and Barbara Bach and some tense action sequences as the gang plant bombs and attempt to evade discovery. These 1970s war movies have a feel of that era which, for me, always makes them a little wooden and stagy but they are perfect afternoon viewing and they're the sort of film that you mum would like....assuming your mum is of that sort of age. It's a no frills couple of hours with enough action to hold the interest and keep the viewer entertained.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
September 23, 2012
Another straight-forward men-on-a-mission film which isn't as good as the best of them, but still decent, if unnecessary. Mostly only worth watching if you're in the mood for one you haven't seen before, and have seen all the better ones.
July 19, 2012
Pretty lame sequel to the 1961 epic Guns of Navarone. "Sequel" is a bit of stretch, as the only commonalities between the two are two characters, and the title.

Pretty much a conventional paint-by-numbers WW2 drama. Plot is not overly imaginative, and has numerous plot holes and contrivences. The military aspect is not entirely accurate.

Performances are OK. Edward Fox gives his usual irritatingly stiff performance, however.
July 2, 2012
Harrison Ford wasn't Indy or a well astablished Han Solo yet. He was an awesome adventure actor however and he really shows that off in this great WWll movie.
July 1, 2012
An excellent sequel headed by Shaw and Ford
June 16, 2012
You really cannot go wrong with any movie that stars Robert Shaw, Harrison Ford, Barbara Bach and Edward Fox and this movie - although blasted by the critics upon its release really is a great war movie.
Many saw this as a dissapointment due to its attachment to the Guns of Navarone, but if it is taken up on its own merits then one can see that this is really nothing more than a fun movie for funs sake, no serious character studies here and the movie is all the better for it.
Bond fans will notice a number of actors in this movie that had already occupied roles in the Bond franchise or would go on to appesar in the series. In addition to Shaw (from "From Russia With Love") and Bach (who was fresh off playing the Russian spy Anya Amasova in "The Spy Who Loved Me") and Edward Fox (who would go on to play M in the rogue 007 movie "Never Say Never Again") there is also Bach's co-star from "The Spy Who Loved Me" Richard Kiel, who was riding high as somewhat of a cultural icon (hey, he appeared in a Shredded Wheat TV commercial) after playing Jaws.
I suppose the Bond connection is most apparent in the choice of director with "Goldfinger"'s director Guy Hamilton handling the honors.
The plot of the movie is also very different from the MacLean book, but some good Boy's Own adventure. Shaw plays Mallory (yes the same character that Gregory Peck played in the original) and he and Fox's character (who was played by David Niven in the original) are sent into Yugoslavia to identify and kill a traitor from the first movie. So, they hop a ride along with Force 10 (headed by Ford's character) who are headed to the same location with the mission of destroying a key, strategic bridge. Of coursre things do not go entirely to plan, and soon the action begins to come thick and fast.
A movie that would get a lot more respect if it didn't have the name "Navarone" attached to it.
June 10, 2012
Was weak compared to the original.
May 19, 2012
Sequel of sorts to The Guns of Navarone the tale of behind enemy lines heroism and sacrifice. Tying the two films together with shots of those iconic guns at the start sets things up nicely and the movie movies on a pace with a solid story, superb acting and dramatic scenery. An absolute classic of War cinema.
April 7, 2012
it's hard to find a war movie made back in the 70s and 60s about WW2 that isn't pretentious and overly serious. This one is actually fun(with its many faults and quite a few plot holes) and has a surprisingly good cast for such a movie as this- Harrison ford in one of his first lead roles(of course after Star Wars), Robert Shaw, Richard Kiel and Barbara Bach are all fun to watch in this. The fight choreography leaves ALOT to be desired, but thats what it makes it fun- its silly but it adds to the tone of the film, which is not serious in the least bit. Guy Hamilton(of James Bond FAME!), makes a decent war movie, less about the war and more about the episodic journey of the characters. I found all the characters interesting to watch, especially Carl Weathers as the odd man out of the bunch. It's a mix between action adventure and caper film, with humorous moments. You see hints of Han Solo in Ford's Bambsy character, and Shaw's Mallory is like the long lost brother of Roger Moore's Bond and Michael Palin's doppelganger. Richard Kiel REALLY hammed up the role of the villain in this, he was a cartoon as Capt. Drazak, and sometimes I had to roll my eyes- but what do you expect for an actor who's only been remembered as the strong and slow witted Jaws of the james bond franchise. Franco Nero was very interesting as the (spoiler) traitorous Ledifera, I think he captured whether we could trust him very well, and I had my suspicions very early one, even when the Partisan leader debunked the idea to Mallory. Barbara Bach was interesting in her role, as she turns out to be an undercover operative posing to work for the Nazi head guy, perfectly played by
The opening sequences of planes flyng were very badly executed, clearly they didn't have the same sfx wizards that Star Wars had, the year before. And apart from a few really underexposed night shots, the cinematography is pretty good(love the trekking shots through the mountains, supposedly Montenegro to represent the settings' Yugoslavia)
All in all a decent caper/thriller, where the good parts outweigh the few bad. I was surprised to see a nazi captain be decapitated and some boobs in a PG movie, but I'm not complaining. It's certainly not an amazing movie, but its a good romp with the best part of the movie being the stellar cast.
March 11, 2012
Boring and uninteresting.
Taylor W.
February 28, 2012
thought this was a really good movie especially love the part were they blew the damn lots of fun in this movie of course its not better then the original most movies are not but hey this ones pretty good
February 15, 2012
Always liked this flick and 'The Guns of Navarone' back when I was a child. Both are still entertaining for me to watch from time to time.