Forgotten Silver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forgotten Silver Reviews

June 23, 2007
Fantastic mockumentary.
June 26, 2008
Cleverly written and executed, but I was surprised at how unfunny it was. Not in the sense of *failed* humor, but of humor not being attempted at all. The funniest thing about the film is its overall premise -- chuckles during individual scenes were scarce for me. The steam-driven camera, the egg heist, the all-Chinese talkie, a character named Alexandra Nevsky, Harvey Weinstein's casual shrug at the end about cutting an hour from the fictional movie.... Not much else. The difference between "Forgotten Silver" and "This Is Spinal Tap" is that the latter would be just as funny, even if were true. I can't say the same for "Forgotten Silver." It's certainly worth seeing, however. Note: The film is about 52 minutes, not an *hour* and 52 minutes. The length stated above is wrong.
April 15, 2008
A rather funny mockumentary about Colin McKenzie, a man who (apparently) rivalled DW Griffiths, the Lumiere brothers, Edison, and George Melies in the early days of film. he supposedly invented the bicycle cam (and subsequently crashed it), made film emulsion from eggs (though it took a dozen to make one minute worth of film), and captured the first flight on celluloid nine months before the Wright Bros. ever flew! Of course, none of this really happened, but apparently some viewers thought that it did, and it got Jackson in a bit of hot water with the New Zealand Film Commission. This film's worth a look.
February 27, 2008
Peter Jackson does a perfect job telling the story of a filmmaker who rivals Erich Von Stroheim and D.W. Griffith in the epic department. Though I find it did get a little too audacious (would a movie with that much of a budget and so many extras really be forgotten?) it still played very well. Plus, I knew it wasn't true when I watched it, so I could nitpick.
½ January 15, 2008
Brilliant and hilarious mockumentary about a film pioneer. This is better than "Spinal Tap' in my opinion. A must see.
October 26, 2007
A forgotten film from Peter Jackson that finally saw a DVD release after LOTR.
He had me going for a while that these films were real. His attention to detail in making these films look like they're from that era is amazing.
Search for this one. It's worth it.
Although, the VHS had another short on it that was just as good. Too bad it's not here.
½ July 27, 2007
This is one of the greatest most beleivable fake documentaries of all time. Peter Jackson makes good films... when he has no budget.
½ April 23, 2006
Brilliant 60-minute "mockumentary" extolling the praises of a (non-existant) New Zealand filmmaker who invented just about every component of modern cinema, but received no credit for his hard work. Hilarious satire of the silent film era, with surprising moments of dramatic power sprinkled in among the comedy gold. A must-see. I just wish it was feature-length!
½ September 2, 2014
Forgotten Silver is built around an idea so remarkable, you'll wish it ran longer than an hour.
½ April 11, 2014
Smartly made and incredibly well-put-together.
½ December 31, 2013
Absolutely magnificient , sometimes i am lost within this feature as to whether they are doing behind the scenes for a movie or a documentary (mockumentary) , This Peter Jackson's piece of work might not be appreciated by many but certainly stands out as one of his best .
December 12, 2013
Great "mockumentary" making fun of some big Hollywood producers and it's audience. After Bad taste and Brain Dead, Peter Jackson's at his best !
½ June 11, 2013
Entertaining and interesting on many levels, this 53-minute mockumentary is worth your time.
½ August 11, 2007
Good for its time. A tad pretentious.
December 26, 2012
mockumentary .. sounds interesting
December 14, 2012
In my opinion there's something terribly, terribly unethical about faking a documentary and passing it off as real.
½ December 13, 2012
Forgotten Silver is a remarkable mockumentary.
June 2, 2012
favorite Peter Jackson film.
April 29, 2012
truly brilliant, sadly little seen film
½ June 25, 2008
Complete lie mocumentary is actually very well made, exciting, and filled with many clever ideas. You would wish this all existed.