Fort Apache (1948)
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 14 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Mar 9, 1948 Wide
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 7,742
The soldiers at Fort Apache may disagree with the tactics of their glory-seeking new commander. But to a man, they're duty-bound to obey - even when it means almost certain disaster. John Wayne, Henry Fonda and many familiar supporting players from master director John Ford's "stock company" saddle up for the first film in the director's famed cavalry trilogy (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande are the others). Roughhouse camaraderie, sentimental vignettes of frontier life, massive action
Mar 9, 1948 Wide
Aug 15, 2006
Turner Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Capt. Kirby York
Lt. Col. Owen Thursd...
Sgt. Major O'Rourke
Lt. Michael "Mickey"...
Sgt. Festus Mulcahy
Mrs. Emily Collingwo...
Capt. Sam Collingwoo...
Mrs. Mary O'Rourke
Maria [Movita] Casta...
Ma the Barmaid
Mrs. Martha Gates
Fen the Stage Guard
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
It's an odd film, consisting more of sidetracks than of an actual story, but it showed a new restlessness in Ford.
Inspired by the massacre of General Custer's Cavalry, John Ford's superb elegiac Western contrasts legal-rational authority (Henry Fonda) with charismatic type of authority (John Wayne) to an advantage.
One of John Ford's cavalry trilogy, and a near classic on its own. Wayne and Fonda are fine.
Henry Fonda's stubborness reminds me of our occupant in the White House with his Iraq policy.
Audience Reviews for Fort Apache
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: [steps on scale] What is this scale used for?
- Capt. Kirby York: Weigh government beef, sir.
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: [adjusts scale] Seems I've gained seventy pounds since I've been in Arizona.
- Sgt. Beaufort: [the four soldiers who've come to escort Lt. O'Rourke to the fort have been invited to have a drink by Col. Thursday] Four bottles of cool beer, Ma.
- Sgt. Festus Mulcahy: And I'll have the same... with a whiskey chaser.
- Sgt. Festus Mulcahy: [after Co. Thursday has told the soldiers to destroy the contraband 'whiskey'] 'Destroy it,' he says. Well, boys, we've a man's work ahead of us this day.
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: This Lt. O'Rourke - are you by chance related?
- Sgt. Major O'Rourke: Not by chance, sir, by blood. He's my son.
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: I see. How did he happen to get into West Point?
- Sgt. Major O'Rourke: It happened by presidential appointment, sir
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: Are you a former officer, O'Rourke?
- Sgt. Major O'Rourke: During the war, I was a major in the 69th New York regiment... The Irish Brigade, sir.
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: Still, it's been my impression that presidential appointments were restricted to sons of holders of the Medal of Honor.
- Sgt. Major O'Rourke: That is my impression, too, sir. Will that be all, sir?
Discuss Fort Apache on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Bis zum letzten Mann (DE)
- Massacre de Fort Apache (FR)