Foster Reviews

December 24, 2013
'Angel in the House' (2011) is as chestnut sappy as any Hallmark movie, nonetheless sweet and heartwarming like a Christmas movie should be. This is a nice family film parents can appreciate with their children for some simple quality time during the holidays.
½ September 28, 2014
Wonderful heart-warming story that is enjoyable to watch for the whole family
½ January 11, 2015
Adorable and well written fun for the whole family movie
½ December 26, 2014
I'm reviewing this film for a good mate who has asked me to do so. Hope you appreciate what I have written mate. Jay
Let me start off by saying when it comes to warm holiday fun family movies there are some that will almost always come out on top and then there are some usually starring b grade sitcom actors that should only have ever made it to the ideas bank. Once you've seen Foster you can make that decision for yourself.
Foster is a 2011 film that stars Toni Collette (Muriels Wedding, Mental) as Zooey Morrison and Ioan Gruffudd (Fantastic Four, W.) as Alec Morrison a long time married couple who have been together since high school, both have failing businesses and it seems their marriage if heading the same direction as well. After trying to for a child for a little while the pair end up at a foster care home ready to invest their love. They sit the initial meeting with the carer of the children Mrs. Lange played by Hayley Mills (The Parent Trap, That Darn Cat) and leave. A day or two later there is a knock at the door and one of the children from the home stands waiting to be let in he has the signed documents and a suitcase and is ready to become the newest member of the family. Eli played by Maurice Cole speaks impeccably, dresses miraculously and pretty much knows something about everything and seems to be the perfect child...
Foster is a film made ideally for families, it has it's funny moments as well as its warm moments, sad moments and of course its more than happy ending with a few twists here and there to help it along. The funny thing with twists though in movies is that they can make anything happen. With all its gleeful happiness and touching tender moments there were a few things that it did disappoint me in from the very beginning. The first little niggle for me was the horrible Scottish accent that Toni used throughout the film, it was more than disturbing and sounded so fake, I can't even think of anything to compare it was that bad. The second little annoyance I found was the child, I get he is meant to be some kind of old soul but some of the things he was saying were just laughable and cringe worthy. The script could have been so much better and I'm guessing the budget went pretty much to the starring actors as well as Richard E Grant who plays the local homeless guy who has all the solutions. Apart from a more than predictable ending I think the film could have been very different if someone a little more creative got involved. It really wants to be a film that is filled with magic, unfortunately it's not.
I'm not saying that this was a bad film, in fact if you want to watch a film that doesn't have the bad language, no violence just good wholesome family fun then this would be ideal, especially as a Christmas film where all the family are over the conversations and catch ups have ended and its time to wind down.
This film also carries the title "Angel in the house."
Foster gets 2 out 5 BanShee Screams.
Thanks for reading.
x
#foster
JDM
February 8, 2014
When I saw it was called Angel in the House but I guess it is the same movie. I thought it was delightful, a feel-good movie that you could watch with the whole family. It is not complex and perhaps a bit predictable but it is so nice to sit through a movie and not cringe at bad language and violence. I recommend it!
December 24, 2013
½ May 15, 2013
Laughably bad film from the downright atrocious script, to the awful Scottish accent from the female lead
April 22, 2013
In the USA this movie is called Angel in the House!!!! It is a splendid little movie I got at Redbox. It is about a little boy that shows up at the door at a couples home that can not have a baby!!! The fun and the tears come later. This is a great Family movie!!!!
½ March 26, 2013
Excelente cinta en la que el empecinamiento de una pareja que quieren convertirse en padres, hace que llegue a su vida un niño en adopción (o al menos eso les hace creer), lo que cambiara irremediablemente y para bien sus vidas.
Entretenida, conmovedora y bien hecha, no le puedes pedir mucho más a una película. Véanla.