Four Brothers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Brothers Reviews

cosmo313
June 9, 2006
This is director John Singleton's modern update of sorts on The Sons of Katie Elder. The titular characters are four guys from different backgrounds (and races) who reunite after years of separation for their mother's funeral. Considering that she was the nicest lady ever, they are all curious as to she was murdered. When they can't get any straight answers from authorities, they decide to take matters into their own hands.

This is a slick urban drama filled with grit, intensity, and a bit of humor as well. Were it not for their adopted mother, these four guys would have nothing in common, but they do make for an interesting bowl of personality stew. Mark Wahlberg is the short-tempered Bobby, Garrett Hedlund is the struggling punk rocker Jack, Tyrese Gibson plays street-wise Angel, and the only seemingly normal one, the hard working Jeremiah, is portrayed by Andre Benjamin. Fionnula Flanagn is the thread that holds them all together.

Other roles include Terrence Howard as a cop on the case, pre-fame Sofia Vergara as Angel's lady, and Chiwetel Ejiofor as a rather shady hood.

The performances are pretty decent, better than expected for this sort of thing, and everyone mostly seems to mesh pretty well. The pacing and atmosphere are pretty good, the cinematography is well-executed, and the action, when it happens, is great too, a big shootout in particular being a major highlight.

All in all, this is far better than is has a right to be, and that actually makes me happy. This is proof that Singleton didn't lose all of his talent after Boyz n the Hood. Give this one a watch- it's pretty satisfying.
blkbomb
February 14, 2013
Bobby: Forget that, Green. I used to make a good living around here because cops like you couldn't find tits in a strip joint.

"They came home to bury mom... and her killer."

I have really mixed feelings about Four Brothers and my rating is a bit inflated based off of any normal things you evaluate a movie on. The acting was either extremely dull or over the top, despite the fact that I like most if not every one of the actors. Also the writing is a bit dumbed down to say the least and the characters, besides Bobby, aren't all that interesting. This is probably due to the dialogue they were given compared to Bobby's because Mark Wahlberg(although funny) didn't do anything all that great with his performance. The movie was entertaining and I did really like Wahlberg's character. It was interesting throughout, but also a lot of the interest and entertainment came from how poorly the film was put together. So yeah I have mixed feelings.

Four brothers come back and plan to seek revenge for their mothers murder. Their mother was regarded as a saint, as she was a foster mother that gave kids direction. She adopted the "four brothers" because they were the ones she couldn't really turn around and she knew no one else would take them. Once again I have mixed feelings about the premise of the film. The revenge movie has kind of been done to death and I like the way this one kind of comes at a different angle, but for some reason the main premise, and the whole movie for that matter kind of feels thrown together.

Four Brothers is worth a look, but it isn't a movie that you necessarily need to see. I had some problems with it, but it was some fun, stupid entertainment and every once in a while, movies in that fake sub-genre can be pleasing. This just happens to be one of those for me.
½ June 14, 2007
This is a good movie in terms of the bonds of brotherhood, family, etc.

Yet it lacks the most simplest of reality. I mean, I know that Detroit is the ghetto and it often lacks police intervention but walking into a school with you're guns loaded in the middle of a basketball game? Shoot outs in the middle of the streets like general warfare? All I could keep thinking at some of these moments was, "Where the hell are the cops?" Better yet in some scenes it' was like, "Is there any other people in this city other than the main actors?"

The weird thing is I really liked this movie but I wish they would have toned it down just a tad and used the morals and emotions of the story a little more realistically and relatable to a real life scenario. I mean, this COULD happen, but not likely!
½ December 30, 2010
What the hell was this? I really wanted to like this movie. In fact, gangster revenge flicks (though overly done) is my kind of movie. This seems great! ...Hell naw.
First of all, the screenplay tries extremely hard to bring upon the audience that these four brothers have a deep chemistry between each other but frankly, the screenplay and the acting does not follow through. A lot of the scenes where they are trading lines back to back is cringe-worthy. There is absolutely no chemistry. I've also gotta say Chiwetel Ejiofor cannot pull a Denzel Washington. Is he really trying to be like him from "Training Day"? Y'all would know what I mean if you guys watch one of the last scenes in "Four Brothers". Skip this movie. Action scenes suck. And there's also a car chase scene with one of the WORST looking CGI snow I've ever seen.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ August 30, 2011
I felt that Four Brothers was nothing new in terms of a good action revenge film. The story itself has already been told a dozen times before, and this film is pure clichés in that respect. What's really a downer with this film is that the film starts off with a bang, but then it treads similar territory as most revenge flicks, and doesn't try anything exciting to thrill the viewer. Instead you have a predictable story, of which the viewer knows the outcome right off the bat. The films builds is contrived, instead of naturally progressing the story to give the viewer a sense of intrigue, mystery and above all keep him interested in the film. I found myself being bored watching this film, and couldn't wait for the film to be over. Another point that really annoyed me was the overacting on the part of its actors. None of them delivered a good performance, and Four Brothers ended up being a boring, predictable film that had no redeeming elements to make the film watchable. I felt that Four Brothers was a missed opportunity, and maybe if it had a better cast and script; this film could have been better. Instead this film fails at delivering a really good revenge film, and it fails at being too predictable, even by revenge film standards. The ideas used here, have already been done before, and there is absolutely nothing interesting or appealing in this film. If you want a terrific action revenge film, you won't find it here. Four Brothers is a film to avoid.
½ August 1, 2011
4 brothers doing whatever it takes to have eachother's backs. It's okay, asi asi.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Really enjoyed this film. Very poignant and Mark Wahlberg was outstanding.
October 4, 2006
Good film. Lots of violence and some humour too. Decent cast and even Marky mark is not too wooden in this.
3niR
November 21, 2010
I liked the story and the bonding between those brothers but it gets boring sometimes.
Chiefilms
April 25, 2010
I watched this on TV so I probably saw a completely different movie. Not bad, over the top, acting so so. Mark Wahlberg plays the tough guy, Andre 3000 really forcing the acting career, I don't know what Tyrese is up to, and the antagonist is pretty much Denzel Washington's character in Training Day.
½ August 13, 2006
Spectacular action entertainment. A powerful film. A great movie. Fast-paced, thrilling, frequently funny, gripping and emotional. It's pulse-pounding, compelling and electrifying. The chemistry of the four actors is terrific. Mark Wahlberg, Tyreese Gibson, Andre Benjamin and Garret Hedlund all turn in powerhouse performances right from the heart. A total knockout. It's a hard hitting action-packed thriller. It's raw emotion, riveting drama, wicked humor and explosive action put into one great film that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Director, John Singleton's best film since Boy's 'N the Hood. A full-throttle adrenaline-rush.
½ January 7, 2010
Not a great movie, but it was extremely entertaining and chalk full of action. The cast worked well together and you could definitely see the bond between them. It was a little predictable and sappy, but still had a lot to like. John Singleton has definitely improved his style over the last few years and it was nice to see that.
garyX
½ March 17, 2007
A saintly old lady is executed during a liquor store hold up and her four foster sons reunite to hunt down her killers. Four Brothers is exactly the kind of braindead action thriller that holds extreme violence up as the answer to all of life's problems as we follow Marky Mark and co on their rampage through the streets of Detroit using nothing but their wits. And thuggery, torture and huge quantities of lead, of course. There is no character development, little meaningful dialogue and the testosterone fuelled mix of male bonding and dodgy sentimentality (the thanksgiving scene is one of the most cringeworthy things I have ever seen) belies quite a staggering lack of subtlety or sophistication, even by Hollywood action movie standards. Singleton throws in enough well handled action scenes to stave of boredom, but in the end it's just another meat-headed American Idiot pleaser.
July 23, 2007
Really didn't like this movie. Does nothing but encourage gangsterism in modern America, when it seems its overall goal is to dissuade people from becoming entangled in it. Stupid revenge plot is only further accelerated by one laughable actor in Tyrese Gibson, who continues to get acting jobs despite giving no signs of promise. Wahlberg gives a monstrous performance, sadly it's to no avail.
June 10, 2009
i like how 1 black brother died and 1 white brother died. they had to keep everybody happy right?
August 2, 2006
A very average revenge story, watchable, but nothing special.
FilmFanatik
½ April 26, 2007
Thank you John Singleton. This was a nice and tight drama.
RCCLBC
½ April 29, 2008
I'm sure this is "Masterpiece Theater" for some people, but for me...it was all I could do to sit through this cliche riddled mess of a film. I can normally sit through justa bout anything.

It was as if it couldn't decide on what it wanted to be...

Parts of it felt almost like a 1970's "blackploitation" film, but without any of "coolness" or the "soul".

Parts of it felt like a 1970's "After School Special", full of (almost nauseatingly) saccharine moments, but without any of the "kitsch" that made those things bearable.

I think Singleton did his best, with what he had (it's the action scenes that got it the star and a half)...but most of the writing was just SO bad. There is only so much a Director can do.

On a positive note, I didn't have to waste any money or valuable Netflix time on this. A friend of ours (who LOVES this film) let us borrow it. It was returned without discussion.

Now if only I could find a way to get the 109 minutes of my life back that were wasted on viewing this film.
July 30, 2007
Singleton should just go teach somewhere.