Box Office Guru Preview: Vince & Reese Offer Holiday Cheer

Summary

The Thanksgiving holiday weekend sees a wide variety of films in the multiplexes giving all kinds of moviegoers something to see over the extended five-day session. Leading the trio of star-driven new releases opening on Wednesday is the holiday comedy Four Christmases which is joined by the historical epic Australia and the action entry Transporter 3. Back to Article

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

The mediocre "Twilight" will take the box-office again. Which is better than the horrible looking "Four Christmases". And no, I haven't seen "Twilight", and yes, that means I have no say. But who cares.

Nov 26 - 04:28 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

ledawg,

It is perfectly acceptable for you to dis twilight, just as it's every teste powered man to hate Sex and the City and horseface. . .

The main thing that confuses me about the Christmas #$#$ film, is they emphasise Vaugh instead of Witherspoon. I saw her on Letterman, what a great gal. And can she act! See her in Freeway, then Walk the Line then Pleasentville. brilliant. Must be some kind of chauvinistic thing, because Vaughn has No where near the talent that Witherspoon has had since she was young.

MOST Christmas films suck. they should re-release Christmas Story. . . it'll shoot your eye out. . . ho ho HO.

Nov 26 - 04:42 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I just saw Australia and Milk. I thought Milk was great and probably Gust Van Sant's best movie, I think its got oscars all over it especially Penn, and the movie is kind of a tear jerker. Now for Australia, I had high hopes for it but I lowered my expectations before seeing it because of the reviews and yet I was still disappointed. I thought AUSTRALIA was kind of messy, a little too cheesy at times, at times the CGI was weak (cattle/cliff scene) and Nicole Kidman started out wooden but I did love the visuals and I think it is visually original, I thought Jackman was great, the movie looks great, and there are some great scenes but overall the movie felt like patchwork with bad editing, also I thought the whole war thing came abruptly during the movie. I overall did enjoy Australia, but I am curious on how it will do at the box office. Milk-10/10, Australia-7.5/10.

Nov 26 - 04:46 PM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

Yay for Reese winning an oscar and then silencing her critics with meaty roles such as **** Christmases which enables her to show her acting range and versatility as a seasoned actress. Uh huh!

For those we expected oscar buzz for Australia, its time to acknowledge the hopelessness of that dream.

Nov 26 - 06:00 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

wordweaver,

Thanks for your post, it cracked me up. Yah, it seems once you win an oscar, you can go make films like Cuba Gooding Jr., and Maria tomeai *until recently, now she actually is in good films. There might as well be an oscar curse for best supporting actress. . .

But, Witherspoon is phenomenol, but not ascendant enough for me to watch a film just because she is in it. that spot for actress to me is reserved for Audrey Tautou. . . HAVE YOU SEEN PRICELESS! BRILLIANT! Just came out on DVD. BRILLIANT!

Nov 26 - 06:13 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

LOL ok I was wrong about it being epic instead it ended up being sloppy. But I still say it will pick up some oscar nods like for Best Special Effects, Production Design, Costume Design, Cinematography, maybe original score, and hell I wouldn't be surprised if Hugh Jackman picked up a nomination for Best Actor.

Nov 26 - 07:49 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

wordweaver,

Nov 26 - 06:13 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Nov 26 - 07:49 PM

AntonChigurh

Chris Scharlau

Looks like the theatre has the biggest turkey dinner yet. I hate Reese Witherspoon and her crimson chin, and what happened to Nicole Kidman's career? Kidman and Witherspoon schould have dinner with oneanother and discuss why they deserved their oscar's in the first place.

Nov 26 - 09:50 PM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

@ AntonChigurh

How dare you put Kidman and Witherspoon in the same category? Kidman may have made some bad movie choices but saying that she didn't deserve an Oscar is going way out of line buddy. Nicole didn't pop out of nowhere and win an Oscar; she slowly and steadily built an impressive resume with challenging and different roles. Her portrayal of Woolf was a culmination of all her years of hard work and the award was well deserved.

WItherspoon on the other hand hasn't shown such maturity in acting or even range. The most she has done is twitch her head and sound annoying in Legally Blonde...oh yeah and lip sync June Carter's songs and win an oscar for it. Lol lol, I kid I kid. WItherspoon is an ok actress but oscar worthy? I don't think so.

Nov 26 - 11:24 PM

Almost.Famous

adam ramberg

Stop making these lame family christmas romantic comedys there so annyoing! Blah! Too bad for australia. it hought that had potential. And for milk wow! That came out of nowhere.

Nov 26 - 11:56 PM

Sulaco2k

Joseph McWilliams

Milk's the only thing worth seeing this weekend and sadly for me the theaters around here won't be screening it due to a lack of explosions and 'christian' values. I'm choking on the hypocrisy of that...

Nov 27 - 02:55 AM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

I'm really not enthusiastic about Milk but it would be interesting to see Sean Penn and Franco make out...very interesting indeed. Penn has always appeared to be this macho and manly man so it would interesting to see him slip into a whole new dimension with this movie

Can't wait for Cadillac Records even though I doubt it will be coming to my area...we'll see.

Nov 27 - 08:40 AM

Kathryn M.

Kathryn Maclaren

I signed up, Boys, just to say that Four Christmases is one of the worst movies I have seen in a long, long time. I think the director and writer must dislike Christmas and it shows. I like a funny movie--Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation, for example--but this movie was chock full of unbelievable characters--so over-the-top, so, so...hateful and mean-spirited--so many redneck stereotypes that it made Jeff Foxworthy's jokes pale to extinction. The baby jokes, the fat jokes, the mean physical comedy sight gags, the spite jokes, the Christian jokes, the sex jokes--eeeyech NOT funny. I was hoping for a Love, Actually, but instead got "Who took the fun out of Dysfunctional"--I almost wept with rage and disappointment because I gave up seeing "Happy Go Lucky" for this rotten Thanksgiving TURKEY. And by the way, Vince Vaughn is NOT sexy--and neither is Reese Witherspoon. The only good acting in this film was given by Jon Voigt.

Nov 27 - 12:27 PM

Kathryn M.

Kathryn Maclaren

And now that this is off my mind--I saw Milk, too. Good acting, but I'm tired of the Hollywood-Guiltrip movies--from anti-war, to anti--whatever. I like Sean Penn (as a director--Into the Wild) and as an actor (Dead Man Walking), but he is such an annoying piece-of-work off screen that I found that now I can't divorce his real personality with that of the role he's playing.

Australia is very old-fashioned, but at least it had characters that you could actually like. It's not going to be a whiz-bag success, but it's fine.

Nov 27 - 12:32 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

Thanks for the review, jokerboy19991.

Unfortunately, my theater was not playing Milk. I'll see if it pops up in the following weeks because I'm really looking forward to it.

Nov 27 - 12:54 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

is MILK a double-entendre for . . . well, ya know. . .

Nov 27 - 02:16 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

hey, are you guys saying Franco get's a Milk moustach in this film?

*runs away*

Nov 27 - 02:56 PM

inactive user

Jared King

HA! Excellent tomwaitsjr, a Milk moustache.

Nov 27 - 07:57 PM

sugarflowlistical77

Byron Graham

Reese Witherspoon? Are you ****ing kidding me? She is a horrible actress with less personality than a cadaver, the forehead of a sickly japanese chin dog and a corrosively perky voice and hollow demeanor. While she's not the most overrated actress working in films today, I am baffled by her fame and continued career.
And Nicole Kidman has been excellent in a great many movies, but she's had so much botox that she can no longer emote with her face.

Nov 27 - 08:22 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

sugar,

What do you think of Witherspoon in the edgy Freeway, or the satirical Election?

I may be biased because I loved the last hour of Freeway so much, starting right where she asks Keifer Sutherland

"Do you believe in Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?"

"yes"

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

. . .

BLAM!

Nov 27 - 09:12 PM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

"tomwaitsjr writes:
on Nov 27 2008 02:16 PM

is MILK a double-entendre for . . . well, ya know. . ."

LMAO!! LMAO!! that was hella funny. I was having a bad evening so thanks for cheering me up.

Nov 27 - 10:39 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer