64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Four Rooms Reviews

Matt G

February 12, 2011
Note: this rating is only for the segment "The Man From Hollywood".
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 26, 2012
Angela: Hell of a night, huh Ted?

"Twelve outrageous guests. Four scandalous requests. And one lone bellhop, in his first day on the job, who's in for the wildest New year's Eve of his life."

Four Rooms is an anthology film that features four directors, each directing a single room, while a bellboy appears in all four stories. Now this is a movie that was nearly impossible to get through. I say that because the first two rooms were so bad. Rodriguez and Tarantino clean it up a little bit, but not enough to save the movie from ultimately being a complete failure. There are a couple moments of comedy, but the rest is just terrible.

Honeymoon Suite- The Missing Ingredient- 1/2  out of 5

Allison Anders writes and directs the first room of this movie and it is miserable. Her story centers around a coven of witches that need some sperm. It's easily the worst thing about this movie. I don't know how Anders thought people would respond to her "idea," but it's just awful.

Room 404- The Wrong Man- 1 out of 5

Alexandre Rockwell writes and directs the second room and it is just a tad bit less miserable than the first one. In this one, Ted the Bellboy wonders into a room where a man has his wife tied up and threatens Ted with a gun. This story is all over the place. In the end, I'm not really sure what even happened. The only good thing I could say about "The Wrong Man" is that it isn't as bad as "The Missing Ingredient."

Room 309- The Misbehaviors- 3 out of 5

Robert Rodriguez writes and directs the third room and the movie finally begins to be watchable. In this one, Ted is hired to check up on two kids while their parents are out of the room. The kids don't behave as they are told and the story takes an extremely weird twist near the end. Antonio Banderas was easily the best thing about this movie though, in his short time on screen in "The Misbehaviors."

Penthouse- The Man From Hollywood- 3 out of 5

Quentin Tarantino writes and directs the fourth and final room and he keeps the movie watchable as well. In the fourth room, Ted has to keep company with a filmmaker and his entourage in the Penthouse. He soon learns that they want him to help them with a little wager they have. It all culminates in a rather fitting end to the movie.

None of the episodes were great. Two were decent and two were absolutely horrible. As it stands, this is an extremely poor anthology. The thought was great. I loved the idea the first time I heard it. Four rooms directed by four different directors sounds good. It gives them all a chance to display their different styles. Well it didn't turn out as great as it sounded. I guess it is worth a look for Rodriguez's and Tarantino's parts, but I'd suggest skipping the first two rooms.
Spencer S

June 27, 2012
Four Rooms is an enigmatic and so eccentric film that cobbles together the styling of many creative voices, all for a film that is deranged beyond recognition. Written and directed by four different directors and beautifully coalescing thanks to a brilliant performance from chameleon Tm Roth, the film is separated by four different rooms. Each room is directed by a different director including Alexandre Rockwell, Allison Anders, Quentin Tarantino, and Robert Rodriguez. Each has a unique voice within the film, while all delineated back to controlled chaos, culminating in the glorious end that only Tarantino can give. Besides also boasting such a great set of young Hollywood directors it also contains some amazing performances from some of the best actors at the time including Marisa Tomei, Antonio Banderas, Jennifer Beals, Bruce Willis, and Madonna. Each gives us a taste of the odd, the extremity of the party lifestyle, the atmosphere of the hotel, and it centers on the most interesting, no nonsense, character who can be easily swayed with cash advancement. Rockwell focuses on the underlying tension of dysfunctional relationships, Anders shows the extremes of the feminine mystique and its reach in our culture, Rodriguez goes all out and plays worst case scenario, using children as foils to the bellhop (Roth) while also creating realistic and yet flawed characters, and Tarantino is Tarantino through and through. He uses long, uncut shots, his regular of cast of characters, and even puts himself in the scene as the big shot, the movie star among the treacherous bunch in his hotel room. Though the film was hit hard by critics it has resonated with fans because of its beatific quality, its amazing set of characters with extraordinary problems and out of this world circumstances. Truly worth a look into the pysches of four astounding directors and writers.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 4, 2010

Good movie! I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with this film. With Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino working on this film, you seem to expect a trigger-happy film festival with plenty of bombs and explosives to spare. But what the final product turns out to be is a laugh-out-loud comedy which follows a bellhop's mishaps one night as he scrambles to keep his hotel in order. Tim Roth is always a great performer and in this movie there is no difference. Rent it if your curious or bored, but don't buy it expecting it to be like other Tarantino films. Not bad, not great, just average.

This movie features the collaborative directorial efforts of four new filmmakers, each of whom directs a segment of this comedy. It's New Year's Eve at the Mon Signor Hotel, a former grand old Hollywood hotel, now fallen upon hard times. Often using physical comedy and sight gags, this movie chronicles the slapstick misadventures of Ted, the Bellhop. He's on his first night on the job, when he's asked to help out a coven of witches in the Honeymoon Suite. Things only get worse when he delivers ice to the wrong room and ends up in a domestic argument at a really bad time. Next, he foolishly agrees to watch a gangster's kids for him while he's away. Finally, he finishes off the night refereeing a ghastly wager.
Graham J

March 25, 2012
Okay, so fast forward through the first two rooms and this is a decent little short by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 20, 2009
Cast: Tim Roth, Antonio Banderas, Jennifer Beals, Bruce Willis, Paul Calderon, Madonna, Marisa Tomei, Quentin Tarantino, Ione Skye, Lili Taylor, Alicia Witt

Director: Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell

Summary: One mad New Year's Eve, an overwhelmed bellboy (Tim Roth) copes with witches and diabolical children, gets caught in the middle of a sour relationship and settles a bloody bet for members of a superstar's entourage.

My Thoughts: "Tim Roth was fantastic in this film. The movie and the acting is so off the wall crazy and fun. There's not a dull moment in this film. Tim Roth was so funny in the movie, never seen him play such a fantastically funny person. The stories are so very different but all very crazy and unique. I really enjoyed the craziness unravel. Great funny flick to watch on a slow moving day."
TheGame90
TheGame90

February 28, 2011
The first room was one bag full of crap. That room alone deserves 1 star. The next room is better but it's still no slobberknocker. Then we bring in the pros. Obvious differens in quality. Even though Tarantino is thinking outside the box and doing a different thing then what we are use to...I think Rodriguez won this battle. Most impressive thing about the whole movie is definitely Antonio Banderas. Very cool guy.
Thomas J

April 20, 2010
This is a fun movie with 4 interesting stories with 4 directors bring fresh ideas to film making! Fun, fun, fun!
Lady D

October 19, 2006
The concept of this film is quirky and works well with the short stories, however it does start off a little too quirky for me and found myself irrated by Tim Roth?s character. The second half seemed to get better, but Tarantino himself didn?t help matters by playing what seemed his longest role to date in a very Quentin kind of way (love the films, not the acting QT!).

Watchable-ish, but not recommendable.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 8, 2007
Well About ths film,
i found it weird but hilarious!
ive probably never watched such a pointlessly weird film but for the laughs its justso worth t! its hilarious!
Tim Roth is excellant in this movie and is so fit, anyway its brilliant acted especially by tim roth and he is a funny character!
the film is about four rooms with four different eccenric characters tht just makes this bellboys life a misery and a hard day!its jut a series of events some weirdly funn and the bellboy trying to cope with it all.
Clearly here isntmuch to the storyline at all, but ifyou need a laugh then this is the movie for you!
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Poor Ted... what a freak show.
Summer W

May 23, 2008
The first "room" leaves a bit to be desired, but after that hilarity ensues.
Megan S

April 25, 2008
The 2nd segment was really slow and boring and dumb. The first one was amusing. The third one was pretty awesome and I think it was the best.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
This movie is set up into four segements by four directors. The first two BLOW. The third (robert rodriquez) is pretty entertaining, and the fourth (quentin tarantino) is great. Who doesn't want to see a guy get his finger chopped off? Major minus points for the first two, however.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 4, 2007
This is a weird one about a hotel and all its goings-on.
Ross C

June 21, 2007
A silly comedy split into four scenes, each with separate directors, that are the four rooms of the title with Tim Roth, a hapless bell-boy, providing the common-link. The second two scenes, directed by Robert Rodriquez and Quentin Tarantino respectively, work best.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
Four comic stories some better than others.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

March 28, 2007
what a terrible movie. this is 90 minutes that i will never get back. what a waste of time. this is a film about 4 rooms in a hotel where different scenes take place. the common character is the bell boy and he expiriences each room. each stupid, pointless, unrealistic and rediculous room. 4 directors worked on this film, one for each room. the only reason that im giving this movie 1 star instead of a half of a star is because one of the rooms, the one directed by robert rodriquez, had a little boy in it that was really funny. he provides a few funny moments to a very pointless film. i had many people recommend this film to me, and all it did was prove to me that quintin tarantino is very overrated.
Jason S

February 16, 2007
Funny! Four directors do this one. Each one takes on the story of a different room and you get to see that the styles are completely different.