Four Weddings and a Funeral Reviews

January 16, 2014
A classy & classic British comedy reuniting a brilliant cast for two hours of fun. Nice.
February 25, 2009
Just your typical Hugh Grant rom com. That's a good thing.
½ January 1, 2014
Uma comédia sensacional, verdadeira, tocante e com boas sacadas! O elenco está ótimo (Kristin Scott Thomas merecia um texto por sua atuação).
½ December 22, 2013
Love Hugh as usual, but as light hearted as this movie is, it glorifies infidelity, which is a major turn off for me.
September 5, 2009
"Quatre mariages et un enterrement" est une comedie romantique tres reussie grace a un scenario assez sophistique, sous couvert de raconter une histoire d'amour tout ce qu'il y a de plus simple. Celui-ci est mis en scene de maniere remarquable par un Mike Newell qui a pu s'aider d'acteurs particulierement inspires, comme Hugh Grant ou Charlotte Coleman. Tres bonne bande-son
September 3, 2007
I've TRIED to watch this movie, but I can't get through it. That must say something...
½ November 14, 2013
A delightfully feel-good movie that generates genuine laughs from second-hand embarrassment.
March 8, 2012
Despite having its more than fair share of clumsy moments, Four Weddings and a Funeral has enough funny moments to be watchable.
½ October 23, 2013
Other than the slapstick and sarcastic humour, I can't say I really cared for this movie. To me, it was much too formulaic and cheesy, loyally following other romantic comedies. The intersection of the four weddings and the funeral (the last wedding could also arguably be considered a funeral) was interesting and creative, but otherwise, the plot was bland.

I generally hated both protagonists because the majority of their relationship happens because they are cheating on their current partners. They never seem to question their actions or think "hey, maybe what I'm doing isn't right and I should wait until I'm unattached." Also, they both settle for people that they don't like, as if it's better to be in a relationship than single for even a second. There was no chemistry or even a reason for Carrie to be with her older husband (except maybe money) and I felt the same way with Charles and Duckface. Also, Carrie, unlike Charles, who is at least a somewhat interesting person, is as dull as dry toast and the scenes with her mostly consisted of her saying hi and smiling and talking in her "exotic" American accent. There were also a few painful scenes (like the generic trying on wedding dresses montage) where she desperately attempted to be interesting. I did however enjoy Charles' talent for getting into extremely awkward situations.

Sure, it's isn't Valentine's Day, but I would not call it a classic or even a good quality romantic comedy.
October 21, 2013
A romantic story that has quite a bit of heart and a good dose of humor, particularly the supporting actors.
August 21, 2008
Thought I would give this film another go fearing that I may have been a bit harsh in the past about it. I wasn't. Boring sentimental claptrap.
½ July 21, 2012
Leaving aside some inconsistencies, this is a genuine rom-com with a brisk sense of humor.
½ August 31, 2013
A lighthearted and lovely film. I loved the plot, and the performances of all the supporting cast, and Hugh Grant is very believable as his character Charles, while Andie MacDowell's performance is...eh. (that's the reason I marked it down half a star) I loved the plot and basically everything about this movie. Highly recommended!
½ August 28, 2013
Perhaps it is overly sentimental but it is nonetheless a very entertaining film. The person responsible for casting ought to be given a gold medal. Solid performances throughout.
½ September 26, 2010
Four Weddings And A Funeral, I don't believe, lives up to its reputation. It's a charming and quite funny, often subtle so, film and Hugh Grant's character is naturally likeable as one of those 90's British stud actors, but it also has this blandness to it that make it almost a bit forgettable. The film does manage to pull through enough however and it's worth your time in the end. It stands high above most romantic comedies which is the highest honour I can give it, but it's nothing stellar.
July 28, 2013
A film that's hard not to like, yet hard to love.
May 27, 2011
A cute yet surprisingly funny romantic comedy.
March 9, 2012
- Just watched yet again, this one really hold-up for me. good writing and performances. if it's been a while, check it out!

- I really like this one and have seen it several times. John Hannah's speech at the funeral is one of my favourites in movies. Grant is hilarious as is Rowan Atkinson in a small role. Highly recommended!
May 30, 2013
I know many people consider Four Weddings and a Funeral to be a classic romantic comedy, but I don't see the appeal. It isn't that romantic and it isn't that funny. The relationship between the two leads isn't really compelling or deserved, and the wedding scenes could have been trimmed down by 5 to 10 minutes each. I did like the funeral section of this film, though - that part was well done. How did this get a Best Picture nomination?
½ July 5, 2007
Its the work of the director, Mike Newell, that juices this bit of contrivance that has Grant and MacDowell (whom you instantly surmise will be together by film's end) always brushing into one another, their friends ever intruding, only to break up right before committing to a committed relationship (Hey, that's coitus interruptus!). Newell manages to keep the obviousness of the contrivance from putting you off film altogether while the friends mainly try to keep their excitement about being onscreen at all from being too apparent.