21% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Fourth Kind Reviews

Anthony L

October 11, 2013
The Forth Kind is a film that should have been in the 'Found footage' genre or it should have been a 'mockumentry'. The people responsible decided instead to try to fool the audience with a weird split screen with supposed real footage on one side and reconstruction on the other. It's like a 'whose acting is worst' competition. Some of the 'real footage' is spooky but ultimately spoiled by lazy interference and horrible over acting. This is one horrible experiment that should have been stopped before any money had been spent on it. The acting is horrible, the casting is stupid, the story and characters are completely unbelievable and everything in-between is stupid. Cringe-worthy, lazy or a very bad idea, I'll let Olatunde Osunsanmi decide.
Apeneck F

March 2, 2013
The actors do passably in this and the direction's not terrible, but the concept and the writing will make you puke, puke like that episode of The Family Guy where everyone pukes. In essence, the devil/exorcist movie franchise adopted towards aliens. Next.
Carlos M

June 20, 2010
It is impossible to take this any seriously, a stupid fictional film that insults the audience trying so hard to make you believe that everything it tells is real - but the hoax is unconvincing, the screen splitting gimmick is ridiculous and Mila Jovovich a terrible actress.
Christopher H

June 16, 2012
The movie starts out with Milla Jovovich and the director telling the viewer that everything that you are about to see is a hundred percent true. The PSA-style beginning highlights the ultimate problem with this film: it tries way too hard to convince the audience that the story presented is true. During key scenes the film would show supposed "reenactment" footage along with the "actual" footage side by side and the results are simply laughable. The "reenactment" footage is too over-stylized and over-the-top to be taken seriously while the "actual" footage is so obviously fake. Plus the stuff shown in the "actual" footage is so fantastical that it would have surely shown up on the internet at some point rather than being shown for the first time in movie format. Seeing the "real" Dr. Tyler covered in white zombie-like makeup is also a real hoot. Take away the whole "reenactment of true events" lure, this is just a very sub-par sci-fi/horror flick in which very little happens. Some of the ideas are cool but they are wasted on poor execution. Either they should have went into straight drama format or tell the story in a light mock documentary style just like 'District 9'. Some decent acting and shock moments here and there but this movie was just a waste of a potentially intriguing premise.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 30, 2011
It has some built in scares and although you lose a bit of interest in the second half of the film it still manages to be quite astonishing with the help of actual footage. Whether the footage was edited or not however, The Fourth Kind was put together pretty well.
Alexander D

October 22, 2011
Occasional use of the "found footage" concept makes for a sometimes disturbing, but otherwise dull, psychological/science fiction thriller about alien attack. And this is no CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND.

When I Googled "The Fourth Kind", the fourth result was an article titled "'The Fourth Kind' Is A Hoax". No! Really? For anyone who has seen it, that is obvious! These people are bad actors, and the screenwriter makes the story inconceivable. Yet Milla Jovovich, in the beginning, says that the film will show the actual tapes, along with re-enactments. The actual tapes (I hate to break it to you, fans!) are false. This event could have never happened, and both versions of footage are absolutely staged.

The story (yes! STORY!) is set in Nome, Alaska, and centers around Dr. Abigail Tyler (Milla Jovovich). After her husband's death, she, a psychologist, continues the research he had started. She videotapes sessions with patients, who appear to be put over to the edge and driven to insanity. Little does she know that the reason her patients are so traumatized is that they are being abducted by aliens (the "fourth kind" of alien encounters being abduction).

Aside from the fact that THE FOURTH KIND was completely staged, it still angers its audience. I, personally, was hopeful of a decent alien film with even a few good scares. But did anyone get that? Maybe, if there are for some reason any believers in alien contact this ridiculous. Oh! And by the way: the ending was terrible. (So was the beginning and the stuff in between.)
Eric A

October 8, 2011
Unbelievable. In a bad way.
Alexander W

November 20, 2009
This is like an extended X-Files episode starring Milla Jovovich, although there are parts of the film you wonder why they shot and cut the story in half with seperate actors to play the "real" people and the "actors" that just gets confusing because nobody would believe the yarn anyway, yet we are told we are supposed to in the end. Still, I thought it was worth watching, and it wasnt too awful. Besides I like X-Files ;)
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Awful! Hated it! It was scary at times and that was about it.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

March 1, 2010
three stars...
Sophie B

January 29, 2011
A thought provoking piece. I'm not sure if the FBI stats were real or not but it was interesting. I've heard a lot about this and honestly expected it to be much worse. They could have gone down the "small, green, bug eyed men" route which they didn't; they left it to the imagination.
puffchunk
puffchunk

January 5, 2011
A bit pretentious but still entertaining. I couldn't help but feel like she was totally nuts. Pretty convienient that the camera always blurrs out right when stuff starts happening, even when they're just remembering via hypnosis.
Thomas J

December 22, 2010
Blair Witch Project + Fire In The Sky + any documentary = The Fourth Kind. None of which were good!
Cynthia S

November 16, 2010
Eh. The movie was ok. It moves a bit slow, but there are a couple of good jolt moments. They use the same gimmick as Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity by alluding to "the threat", but never actually showing them. At least Paranormal used the gimmick to much greater effect though. One thing to point out--THIS IS NOT BASED ON REAL EVENTS! I've seen people write reviews saying "I didn't think it was that great until I realized it was based on real events." Well, it's not so you can go back to thinking it wasn't so great.
Nani V

October 12, 2009
It was a bit disturbing with the video footages and I found myself being a little creeped out on the way home from my friend's house where we were watching the movie. Overall, it was believable and made you think...could this really be happening?
Alexis N

August 3, 2010
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's spooky or scary. But I would say, if you actually believe in aliens and abductions, this is for you. It was Blair Witch Project with aliens. Kinda dull.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

July 8, 2010
First of all, This movie is ten times better than Paranormal Activity. There are not whinney fighting couples. I was soooo freaked out by this movie its unbelievable. I dont know if that footage they showed was actually real but it sure looked like it. O my gosh. It was soo freaky. Just to see some of those things happen on a real recored camera. *(if they are real) and I kinda think they are. Scarry stuff happens. But ahh if you want tsomthing to scare you out of your seat then watch this. I believe it is a seriously underrated movie..
Richard C

July 4, 2010
i actually liked this. I don't see what's so bad about this movie, it's not a great movie but it's good. you don't have to believe what there saying just be entertained. B
Lewis C

October 12, 2009
There's an interesting concept buried in The Fourth Kind. Buried deep under messy execution and general boredom, but it's there.

This is billed as being an amalgam of true events and dramatizations, but it's not nearly realistic enough to pull in anyone except the most gullible or eager to believe. Don't expect The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity, by any means. It's also billed as a horror movie, despite the fact that very little of it is even mildly frightening. Not much really happens, and when something does finally happen - we don't get to see much of it.

I have a habit of seeing suspect movies, just because a favorite actress of mine happens to be in them. And that's what happened here. I can't really recommend it to anyone, even if they're a fellow Jovivich fan. The Fourth Kind takes a semi-interesting idea, and makes another boring, run-of-the-mill, tv quality horror flick out of it. It's not horrible, it's just not remarkable or interesting in any way.
Beefy
Beefy

November 4, 2009
Nearly redefines awful. Cross-cutting between the fictional and documentary doesn't work when the "documentary" is even faker than the fictional. A couple of interesting moments, and a good try by Jovovich, but a huge waste of time.