The Fourth Kind Reviews

½ March 2, 2013
The actors do passably in this and the direction's not terrible, but the concept and the writing will make you puke, puke like that episode of The Family Guy where everyone pukes. In essence, the devil/exorcist movie franchise adopted towards aliens. Next.
June 20, 2010
It is impossible to take this any seriously, a stupid fictional film that insults the audience trying so hard to make you believe that everything it tells is real - but the hoax is unconvincing, the screen splitting gimmick is ridiculous and Mila Jovovich a terrible actress.
June 16, 2012
The movie starts out with Milla Jovovich and the director telling the viewer that everything that you are about to see is a hundred percent true. The PSA-style beginning highlights the ultimate problem with this film: it tries way too hard to convince the audience that the story presented is true. During key scenes the film would show supposed "reenactment" footage along with the "actual" footage side by side and the results are simply laughable. The "reenactment" footage is too over-stylized and over-the-top to be taken seriously while the "actual" footage is so obviously fake. Plus the stuff shown in the "actual" footage is so fantastical that it would have surely shown up on the internet at some point rather than being shown for the first time in movie format. Seeing the "real" Dr. Tyler covered in white zombie-like makeup is also a real hoot. Take away the whole "reenactment of true events" lure, this is just a very sub-par sci-fi/horror flick in which very little happens. Some of the ideas are cool but they are wasted on poor execution. Either they should have went into straight drama format or tell the story in a light mock documentary style just like 'District 9'. Some decent acting and shock moments here and there but this movie was just a waste of a potentially intriguing premise.
Directors Cat
November 30, 2011
It has some built in scares and although you lose a bit of interest in the second half of the film it still manages to be quite astonishing with the help of actual footage. Whether the footage was edited or not however, The Fourth Kind was put together pretty well.
October 8, 2011
Unbelievable. In a bad way.
½ November 20, 2009
This is like an extended X-Files episode starring Milla Jovovich, although there are parts of the film you wonder why they shot and cut the story in half with seperate actors to play the "real" people and the "actors" that just gets confusing because nobody would believe the yarn anyway, yet we are told we are supposed to in the end. Still, I thought it was worth watching, and it wasnt too awful. Besides I like X-Files ;)
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
Awful! Hated it! It was scary at times and that was about it.
YodaMasterJedi
March 1, 2010
three stars...
½ January 29, 2011
A thought provoking piece. I'm not sure if the FBI stats were real or not but it was interesting. I've heard a lot about this and honestly expected it to be much worse. They could have gone down the "small, green, bug eyed men" route which they didn't; they left it to the imagination.
puffchunk
January 5, 2011
A bit pretentious but still entertaining. I couldn't help but feel like she was totally nuts. Pretty convienient that the camera always blurrs out right when stuff starts happening, even when they're just remembering via hypnosis.
December 22, 2010
Blair Witch Project + Fire In The Sky + any documentary = The Fourth Kind. None of which were good!
November 16, 2010
Eh. The movie was ok. It moves a bit slow, but there are a couple of good jolt moments. They use the same gimmick as Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity by alluding to "the threat", but never actually showing them. At least Paranormal used the gimmick to much greater effect though. One thing to point out--THIS IS NOT BASED ON REAL EVENTS! I've seen people write reviews saying "I didn't think it was that great until I realized it was based on real events." Well, it's not so you can go back to thinking it wasn't so great.
October 12, 2009
It was a bit disturbing with the video footages and I found myself being a little creeped out on the way home from my friend's house where we were watching the movie. Overall, it was believable and made you think...could this really be happening?
August 3, 2010
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's spooky or scary. But I would say, if you actually believe in aliens and abductions, this is for you. It was Blair Witch Project with aliens. Kinda dull.
MissMorganLeee
½ July 8, 2010
First of all, This movie is ten times better than Paranormal Activity. There are not whinney fighting couples. I was soooo freaked out by this movie its unbelievable. I dont know if that footage they showed was actually real but it sure looked like it. O my gosh. It was soo freaky. Just to see some of those things happen on a real recored camera. *(if they are real) and I kinda think they are. Scarry stuff happens. But ahh if you want tsomthing to scare you out of your seat then watch this. I believe it is a seriously underrated movie..
July 4, 2010
i actually liked this. I don't see what's so bad about this movie, it's not a great movie but it's good. you don't have to believe what there saying just be entertained. B
October 12, 2009
There's an interesting concept buried in The Fourth Kind. Buried deep under messy execution and general boredom, but it's there.

This is billed as being an amalgam of true events and dramatizations, but it's not nearly realistic enough to pull in anyone except the most gullible or eager to believe. Don't expect The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity, by any means. It's also billed as a horror movie, despite the fact that very little of it is even mildly frightening. Not much really happens, and when something does finally happen - we don't get to see much of it.

I have a habit of seeing suspect movies, just because a favorite actress of mine happens to be in them. And that's what happened here. I can't really recommend it to anyone, even if they're a fellow Jovivich fan. The Fourth Kind takes a semi-interesting idea, and makes another boring, run-of-the-mill, tv quality horror flick out of it. It's not horrible, it's just not remarkable or interesting in any way.
Beefy
½ November 4, 2009
Nearly redefines awful. Cross-cutting between the fictional and documentary doesn't work when the "documentary" is even faker than the fictional. A couple of interesting moments, and a good try by Jovovich, but a huge waste of time.
FiLmCrAzY
April 16, 2010
Im shocked i actually really liked this movie, ithought that this would be similar to paranormal activity and that i would hate it but i actually really enjoyed this move!!
Although i still dont believe in alien abduction, and im still not convinced with all the appearent proof the movie gives but i still really enjoyed it, ive come to really like milla jovovich as well!!
its a goood movie thats based on real events with actuall recordings and videos provided by dr emily turner with her giving an interview with a university!!
i liked the movie and i think if you liked paranormal activity then you should like this movie!!
Worth a watch!!
April 14, 2010
Geez, the flixster site has become so cumbersome to negotiate. It seems to take forever and a day to get where you want to get to nowadays. But I digress. For those of you around the world who might know David Letterman, you know how he sometimes attempts to launch a phrase into the world of pop culture? Well, I'm going to try to launch one myself. Milla Jovovich is a babe! Oh, sorry, that's not the phrase I want to try to introduce. The one I want to send off into pop culture-dom is: The Fifth Kind. The Fifth Kind has to do with movies that involve anything having to do with aliens --anything including siting them, communicating with them, being abducted by them -- ANYTHING having to do with any kind of alien encounter that is beyond stupid. You know what I mean when I say beyond stupid, right? The movie doesn't just insult your intelligence, it head slaps your intelligence, stabs it, shoots it, then beats it with a steel pipe, and then chokes it to death with one of those plastic bags they give you at the grocery store. If you haven't caught my drift yet, I'm saying that there is a juicy red and ripe space for movies having to do with aliens that is beyond stupid, and that these movies should be categorized as THE FIFTH KIND. Following my argument, this particular movie would fall in that category, despite its title, and Milla Jovovich really is a stunning woman. I just decided I want to volunteer to be her new agent -- commission free : ) She gets two big stars.