Foxes Reviews

½ May 15, 2015
Jodie Foster and Cherie Currie (lead singer of The Runaways) are foxy 1980s teen foxes in this film that plays out like an expose of the secret lives of teenagers ALA "Kids" or "Thirteen," though not quite as shocking. At it's heart, it's a classic juvenile delinquent film formula about unsupervised teenagers but updated for the 80s with a Giorgio Moroder score and stylish direction by Adrian Lyne (in his directorial debut) with Lyne's signature focus on sexuality. Besides Foster and Currie, the film also features Laura Dern in her first credited film appearance, Scott Baio, Robert Romanus (Jennifer Jason Leigh's skeezy boyfriend from "Fast Times at Ridgemount High), Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid and Lois Smith as Mrs. Axman. It's a rather breezy film that follows the girls over the course of a few days, but the film did make me want to go back and look at director Lyne's filmography and I was quite surprised how short his list of films were. He's made some iconic and quite memorable films, even if most of them were slickly made trash like "Fatal Attraction," "9 1/2 Weeks," "Flashdance," "Indecent Proposal," or "Unfaithful." Although those films are clearly sexploitation for the mainstream, he did infuse them with an intelligence that is absent most films of that ilk, which I do think affords Lyne with credit for being a smart and talented director. I will say that "Jacob's Ladder" did rise above that level of smart trash Lyne mostly made and did qualify as an "art film." I really wish Lyne would put out more work. He's an interesting director for sure. I also have to say I'm quite glad to see that Giorgio Moroder is now working more and putting out new material.
½ April 10, 2015
Good minor coming of age flick that without warning just ends....I hate when that happens.
½ March 18, 2014
Interesting movie. For someone who did not grow up with such wild circumstances, It is difficult to imagine. The ending was abrupt and unsatisfactory.
July 22, 2013
Meh. I surely wouldn't bother to watch it again.
March 31, 2013
I don't care how old it is----it's like modern-day teens, and it's depicting the real-life.
November 16, 2012
Jodie Foster, Scott Baio, Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid (as a creepy old dude marrying a 16 year old), Laura Dern, Robert Romanus (yeah the guy from Fast Times), and the band Angel formed by Greg Giuffria. Surprisingly good movie takes place in 1979 LA about 4 teenage girls.
May 23, 2012
Jodie Foster stars in this movie dealing with her friends and drugs , family etc. Her early days in film.
½ April 29, 2012
You're like all four Beach Boys rolled up in one pair of flippers.

A group of high school friends in the San Fernando Valley decide that they don't need to live with their parents anymore. Each girl has their own personal issues to overcome; but once out on their own, they discover life is more complicated than they anticipated and some of their issues that caused the problems with their parents will only get worse once they are on their own.

"She got grounded."
"How come?"
"She's a virgin."

Adrian Lyne, director of Flashdance, Fatal Attractions, Jacob's Ladder, Indecent Proposal, and Nine 1/2 Weeks, delivers Foxes. The storyline for this picture is very good and this is a great coming of age film in similar regards to Easy Rider. I loved the plot told from the female perspective and the acting was fantastic. The cast includes Jodie Foster, Cherie Curry, Marilyn Kagan, Randy Quad, and Scott Biao.

"I hate my hips."

Foxes was a movie my wife DVR'd and decided she didn't want to see. I decided to give it a shot and thought it was very good. The characters are well portrayed and delivered and the cast was very impressive. I was especially impressed with Cherie Curry. Overall, this is an excellent drama that was well written and is definitely worth your time.

"No dip? Fuck you all."

Grade: A
April 25, 2012
One of the better coming of age movies of the early 80's anyone who came from a broken home can relate to the characters..This also features a standout performance by Cherie Currie of The Runaways fame,
February 18, 2012
"Just because we had you fitted for a diaphragm doesn't make you a woman!"... soundtrack suspiciously free of Runaways songs
April 29, 2011
Performances are great, the film itself is lacking, but not bad.
½ November 4, 2011
Foxes feels like a dirty after school special. Although hardly a classic it's probably the best female teenage angst flix out there that greatly benefits from having a solid cast involved..yes even Scott Baio. Fans of the late 70s should check it out from The Runaways Cherie Currie alone. As the most fucked up of the four girls she is the stand out just on sheer presence alone. She just has such a natural charisma that works so well w/ Jodie Foster's natural acting talent. Even though it's the girls (& the other teenage cast involved) show the adult cast is strong. Sally Kellerman has always been underrated & her mother/daughter relationship w/ Foster is fantastic. Randy Quaid was once a great actor before he was forever to be type cast as Cousin Eddie in Vacation movies. A little too melodramatic @ times to rank up there w/ something like Over The Edge it does have it's place & if I had a teenage daughter I would make her watch it..& then lock her in her room until she was 21
½ December 18, 2009
i enjoyed the watch it's more of a movie i'd watch with my girlfriends
September 6, 2010
I saw this drama on TV a long time ago, I thought it was pretty boring for the most part, but it seemed a pretty realistic view of teenage girls. Plus, there are a bunch of stars in this, so it's an okay movie.
½ November 27, 2008
Kind of muddled. Does not seem to be very well edited and the story skips around a little bit and doesn't always make a lot of sense. Also, WTF with the young bride at the end? Aren't these girls meant to be like 16 or something?!
I kind of liked it for it's early 80's setting - the fashions were amusing, (those HUGE glasses), and I was interested to see Cherie Currie act. On the whole it is a story of female friendship, which is always good, but I think it could have been executed a little better.
July 31, 2010
Foxes was an after-school blockbuster movie made to spread awareness of the dangers of drugs, sex, alcohol and other issues of the late 70s. The four girls are represented each with a wonderful actress. Annie is the most troubled of them all, constantly getting drunk, high, and hanging out with the wrong crowd. Her father is a mentally insane L.A. Policeman who beats her constantly. The girls usually stay at Jodie Foster's character's house, to hide from other troubles surrounding them.
Soon, they get their own house for the four of them, throw a wild party, and things just go down hill from there. Annie's addiction continues and all the girls face similar problems (one even being jealous of other girls because she was a virgin). Jodie Foster and Scott Baio's characters then try to save Annie, after a group of thugs try to kill her and her friends. But Annie ends up getting lost after escaping the thugs. Near the end of the movie, Annie's character dies a tragic death after being picked up as a hitchhiker by a drunken couple who crash into the back of an 18-Wheeler. The graphic death of their best friend leaves the girls scarred. They all try to better themselves and, at the end Jodie's character prevails.
I found the movie enjoyable, but nevertheless predictable. I couldn't stand Scott Baio as he had been in so many other movies of this genre at the time. But Jodie and the other girls had a distinct aura emitting from their characters that made them a lovable bunch. Like most movies filmed in 1979 that carried over to the 80s, the film was out-dated at the time of release. The turn of the decade had proven that technology and film-making would advance rapidly. The movie still carried a lasting effect after I watched it, though.
Though this movie is a cliché of other Just Say No esque movies of those days, it is still a treat to watch. And for some, this movie may even be moving. And the theme song is very catchy! (20th century foxes...)
May 4, 2010
well, this movie is kinda really ok and one of good drama movie and starring jodie foster did performance this movie. jodie foster and scott "chachi" baio did reunion film in 1976 "bugsy malone". also starring real-life band called "the runaways" cherie currie and she seen cute. and so some disappoint ending scene.
April 4, 2010
½ October 14, 2009
It's not just that this movie has aged a lot, the biggest problem is that it's so unconvincing despite one or two decent actors.
Don't misunderstand me, I really like Jodie Foster, but the script and the dialog is too poor, even if Jodie Foster does the best she can (and you have to admit how mature she always appears, even in her earlier movies) but her character just seems smooth-talkin', tough and platic no matter what happens.
The movie is about four very different 16-year old's that are friends, and love to partying hard, and dream about a little place of their own where they can party alone (or something like that...what they really wanted was very unclear). The four teenagers don't just have very different personalities (so different actually that you start to wonder what they have in common) but different problems as well.

Annie (Cherie Currie)is the most troubled of them all. She's the one who looovvveeesss ROCK'N ROLL!!!! and drinks the hardest, take the most drugs and sleeps with every guy (really creepy guys). Her father though, thinks she has a problem and puts her on a mental hospital (good work dad!) and then she escapes (of course) and we are all feeling soooo sorry for Annie when the friends find her drugged (and still in the mood for some more rock'n roll!!!) and then her psycho boyfriends try to get her while Jeanie's friend is doing some really corny stunts on the skateboard. The whole story ends when Annie dies, but not in something drug or alcohol related but in a lame car accident when she was getting a lift from a strange couple. And it all ends like a stupid morality tale with a stone face Foster just is sighing when putting flowers on Annie's grave and saying something like; shit happens.