Frances - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Reviews

August 18, 2015
I've always been fascinated with the tragic story of Frances Farmer, a woman so ahead of her time. Jessica Lange was brilliant (and a beautiful woman too). If Meryl Streep wasn't her competition at the Oscars that year with 'Sophie's Choice', she would have for sure gotten it. Extremely disappointed with the movie. Adding a fictional character like Harry York was lame and unnecessary and a lot of interesting facts about her life and her reasonings for what she did was missing. Highly recommend you check out the A&E biography of her life. This was a good bio flick, but it could have been SO much better.
June 26, 2015
Harrowing (and largely fictionalized) account of the life of actress Frances Farmer. The board strokes of her life are here, her meteoric rise as a young Hollywood actress and her decent into alcoholism and mental illness, with subsequent multiple commitments to mental institutions. On the surface, this film feels like a cheesy Lifetime channel biopic, but Jessica Lange gives such an amazing performance as Farmer that it elevates what I consider rather trite material. Lange takes a character who could easily have been unlikable or have simply been a 1930s version of Lindsay Lohan, but her portrayal of Farmer is very sympathetic and at the same time very troubling. Overall, the story seemed rather sensationalized and simply an avalanche of misery heaped upon Ms. Farmer, but Lange gives such a strong and compelling performance, that she makes this film something of a classic.
½ June 14, 2014
Curious psychological portrait which Jessica Lange delivered marvelously. quite hysterical, difficult, yet passionate, rebelious.
½ May 25, 2014
A bit long and incorrect with some key facts, this movie could be titled "Trust no one, especially your mother." All in all a solid film, although its cynicism can be cringe inducing at times.
½ May 19, 2014
Amazing performances from Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard.
December 15, 2013
well crafted n acted bio-pic about frances famer
November 2, 2013
This film is everything Lena Duhnam wants to say but grew up too privellaged to understand.

It's funny that the two of people with the biggest influence on me as a writer have put out possibly their best movies in the same year (Before Midnight being the other).

Frances Ha defines bittersweet (&) poignancy. It blows my mind that in 1994 Noah made the film (Kicking and Screaming) that defined Generation X (and served a the catalyst for the path I have chosen). And now, 20+ years later he's made the film that defines my generation and the post-collegiate experience that most of us that weren't born with rich parents have suffered through.
½ June 17, 2013
Lillian Farmer: When you get well, you're going to thank me.
Frances Farmer: No, you are not talking now! You listen. Now you can send me away and pretend I'm crazy and you can pretend I'm still your little girl who can't take care of herself. But Lillian, there is one thing that you cannot pretend any more and that is that I love you. Because I don't. I can't. Not after what you've done to me. Because I am still me. I've been trying real hard all this time to be me. And you, little sister - you haven't been any help at all.

Una pieza biográfica sobre la actriz Francis Farmer, que empieza desde su adolescencia donde era una joven rebelde con ideas radicales, a su ascenso a la fama que trajo con ello no solo reconocimiento y éxito sino también demonios y un dramático final a lo que pudo ser una carrera longeva en Hollywood. No se que tan fiel es este retrato a lo que tuvo que afrontar Farmer, pero es bastante crudo y dramático, pero llevado de manera magistral por Jessica Lange, ya que lo interpreta de manera sutil al principio y de acuerdo a las circunstancias se adapta pero nunca pasa la linea de lo vulgar. En partes me pareció una novela en vez de una película, y eso le quito puntos.
August 28, 2013
Jessica Lange is really terrific as Frances Farmer. Hers is a story that I was not familiar with and was glad to have known about it afterwards. A true rebel with heart.
August 28, 2013
Jessica Lange is simply fabulous!!
½ August 10, 2013
1982 is such a competitive year for actresses, most prominently is Meryl Streep's critics-consensus "the all-time best female performance" and Oscar-crowning SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982), which shamefully I haven't watched yet. Thus unfairly other contenders didn't stand any chance to beat her for that, but I never doubt that it was a nip-and-tuck between Streep and Lange in her tour-de-force sensation FRANCES.

Frances Farmer is hardly a household name among film boffins, she was a shooting star in the Tinseltown, whose defiant nature is destined for hemming herself as a fair game to the studio persecution, and the inhuman therapeutic treatments she receives in the mental hospitals are fierce indictment of our society's callous depersonalization under the aegis of medical remedy, although whether the lobotomy operation was executed still lacks of conviction.

Farmer exhibits her rebelliousness from the very start with her religion-defying speech "god was gone" when she was simply a high-schooler, a fearless doll under the high-handedness of her control freak mother (Stanley), Lange's rendition is begging description, an almost 30 years age-range and 140-minutes running time thoroughly proffers her an once-in-a-lifetime stretch to embody herself into this anguished persona, she minutely delineates how the life-force has been mercilessly ripped off her inch by inch and a belated and vehement face-off with her mother is the most theatrical moment and is the apotheosis of a heart-wrenching vicariousness, bravo to both Lange and Stanley!

Henry York (Shepard), a fictional character as the only man who truly understands Farmer and loves her unconditionally is the narrator, this concoction is a poetic license to add some solace in Farmer's wretched life and a considerable move for its audiences' sake, but meanwhile it barely serves a slush albeit Shepard and Lange work wonder together, the make-believe default also makes no room to expound why those two lovers could not be together, an over-romanticized tone may counteract the despondency of the film but it is also an untimely reminder of how close itself could be as brave as its leading lady Jessica Lange!
March 5, 2013
A fine bio-pic on Frances Farmer, that only occasionally veers into melodrama.
½ February 27, 2013
Heralded by an incredible performance from Jessica Lange, the film really makes us feel.
January 15, 2013
Excellent movie and great actress
December 28, 2012
My favorite film for over 25yrs. Jessica Lange is superb.
November 17, 2012
The story of Hollwood star Frances Farmer who refused to let the industry control her and paid the price through a mental breakdown. There is also a love story and some time spent on the troubled relationship she had with her mother. Jessica Lange received an AA for this and she is truly brilliant. Kim Stanley is totally believable as her mother. The score by John Barry is probably his most beautiful. Recommenrded
½ October 18, 2012
Probably Lange's best film, her performance makes an otherwise unremarkable film remarkable. Robbed by the Academy of her Oscar, which went to the usual hammy Streep (who never should have been cast in any non-comic role), it gave Lange the Best Supporting Actress Oscar that year for her walk through in Tootsie.
½ October 8, 2012
A beautiful actress with a rebellious streak is plagued by perceived mental illness.
Jessica Lange, who received a well-deserved Oscar nomination for this role, delivers a gut-wrenching performance in the title role. Her free-spirited portrayal of healthy Frances is tempered by the film's plot, which puts her through the barbarity that we once called medicine in mental health. Sam Shepard is also quite strong as one of Frances's few supporting friends.
It may be that the film can't fashion a believable narrative out of the facts, but the idea that Frances would go back to her mother after many of the events the film depicts defies all we know about the character, and her meager excuse that "She's still my mother" in the words of Rocky the Flying Squirrel "Just doesn't wash."
Overall, regardless of its plot-related flaws, you should see this film if only for Lange who plumbs emotional depths to produce a tragically wounded character.
½ June 3, 2012