Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

January 31, 2016
Movie can be a little boring at times. But Greta Gerwig's performance makes it worth a watch.
½ January 22, 2016
great directing and acting all around
½ January 16, 2016
I don't know what it is but there is something unbearably white about Noah Baumbach's films. FRANCES HA is the perfect film for people who think Woody Allen films are becoming too diverse. I don't have any issues with an all-white cast - Whit Stillman's films for instance - but there's such a lack of self-awareness in this film that it gets really teeth-grinding. Mumble-core east.
December 21, 2015
The story definitely meanders but it feels like that is the point. This is the life of an artist struggling to survive in New York City. The black and white film stock gives it a timeless feel.
December 20, 2015
Frances is Happy,Frances is Happy.
July 4, 2013
An example of promising Woody Allen-esque story that is not only more successful because it has as its main character a woman so absolutely infantile that it becomes real hard not to find her irritating. Besides, the film is not half as funny as it believes to be.
November 2, 2015
Baumbach and Gerwig's dive into late twenties melancholy will probably put a smile on your face at some point. Thankful (and surprised) Brazil's RT Features was compelled to fund it. Its ROI is guaranteed.
October 29, 2015
Frances Ha she is really awkward because she is exactly herself (ALL THE TIME). So its that slow awkwardness of her own self being.
August 17, 2013
Frances is one of the most likeable characters I've come across in a while. She is chaotic and sometimes makes terrible decisions but she is so fun and genuine: it was Gerwig's presentation of her that made this such a total joy to watch. It was such a funny, lovely and honest film and a beautiful celebration of female friendship, even in its sad imperfections.
October 10, 2014
Turn your dial up to "manic pixie dream girl" and see if you can appreciate what is supposed to be a comedy but didn't actually make me laugh all that much. The core conceit is so tired at this stage I'm genuinely trying to figure out how it's done so well critically.

Is it that it plays so much on a benign sense of nostalgia or because it's in black and white so it's art house, right?
½ September 24, 2015
At times too self indulgent for its own good, but Greta Gerwig is outstanding and cinematography exquisite (in black and white splendor) in this deceptively simple story of a young woman drifting in life.
August 31, 2015
Realmente me parece curioso ver una pelÝcula americana totalmente francesa.
Anyway, es buen cine, pero, no particularmente interesante ni constructivo. De hecho los personajes y protagonista son bastante repelentes y odiosos, es realmente complicado que te gusten las mierdas que les pasan.
September 14, 2015
I put off watching this film. Ignoring Rotten Tomatoes 93% Certified Fresh badge, simply because I hate chic flicks!! I went in thinking it would piss me off, and Frances did piss me off a couple times. This movie conveyed like no other to me how we cannot receive everything we need from one person. No matter who we love or how deeply we love another human being, both will need something the other cannot give. Better yet, simply does not have it to give. Unfortunately, many of us will go through much sadness and pain trying to give or receive everything from one person. Unlike Frances some of us will fight, scratch, and crawl towards this unatainable fantasy. What Frances Ha progressively animates is the beauty in taking the pressure off of someone to be everything, and enjoy each person's something('s).
½ September 11, 2015
A movie that's as real as it is quirky. A brilliant performance by Greta Gerwig and even though Adam Driver only had a few minutes of screen time he was incredible too. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
September 5, 2015
It was okay. Its basically a "I don't know what I'm doing in life" type movie, in which the titular character of Frances Ha seems like she has no idea what she is doing. But the kicker is, she doesn't. She has no fixed resident and constantly stays with new people, struggles with the rent because her dance company is iffy, and is on and off with her best friend Sophie. Ultimately, Frances Ha is a movie about finding yourself, and even if the movie is slow or different or pretentious with the black & white, you can sense something good just beneath the surface.
September 4, 2015
A black and white dramacom about a struggling dances trying to find her way in NY. Baumbach clearly went all indie with this shooting in BW and without permits in NY streets. Gerwig is not only perfect in the lead but also wrote this with the director. Definitely worth a look for those who enjoy their movies with a little experimental twist.
September 1, 2015
It ought to be a felony to make a movie in black and white. There is an awful scene where she tries to play fight with a friend who makes it clear several times that she is horrified by the idea and keeps telling her to stop. That scene was enough to make me dislike the movie the 1st time. She has charm and vibrance.
May 9, 2014
Such a charming and uplifting film; it's also a wonderful salute to the French New Wave. Love Greta Gerwig as Frances (you can't help but fall hard for her), and the script by Gerwig and Baumbach is impeccably written. Some people may be annoyed by some of the hipster characters and their behavior, but that's because they are natural and incredibly believable characters. Gerwig's irresistible charm makes this character approachable and realistic; even when she is struggling with her life and fails to put anything together, you can't help but root for her. Frances Ha is one of Noah Baumbach's best films, and perhaps the most emotionally resonant one. It's a really good movie.
March 25, 2013
Similar to Baumbach's The Squid and The Whale, I loved Frances Ha...I just wish I knew why. It's quirky, that's for sure. Greta Gerwig gives a joyfully absurd performance as the title character, a character that I adored from start to finish. Frances Ha is unique. And weird. And exceptionally enjoyable. Also like The Squid and The Whale, it requires repeated viewings (which I look forward to).