• R, 1 hr. 26 min.

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Frances Ha Reviews

August 1, 2014
Hopeless at times but her "everything's gonna be alright" kind of attitude is quite envious.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 30, 2014
Going into Frances Ha, I must admit I didn't expect anything much out of it. But I came out enjoying quite a bit. The film is quite short, but during its short run time, the film provides a well crafted story and some good performances. The film may not be the excellent picture that everyone says it is, but it's most certainly a film well worth seeing, and one that blends drama and comedy perfectly into one film. The result is an enjoyable picture, and the performances provided by the cast are very good and entertaining as well. If you're looking for a pleasant little film to pass the time, then give Frances Ha a shot. The film is entertaining, but it could have also been better as well. I really wanted to like more than this, and I felt that the film has unrealized potential to be something really memorable. But it does manage to be a worthwhile viewing experience, but at times you do get the sensation that things could have been improved upon. Frances Ha has all the trademarks of Indie productions, and it's a film that does manage to work much better than its contemporaries as it's a simple, yet effective storyline with much better acting than others of the genre. Enjoyable, fun and charming, Frances Ha is a film that is well worth seeing if you enjoy these types of movies. As well as that, I think that aside from Greta Gerwig role in The House of the Devil, which was directed by Ti West, this is her best performance yet.
tylergrey1111
July 25, 2014
Their is so much beneath the surface.
November 14, 2013
This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. The main character's really great, and the director told her story in a way that makes it seem like you've spent a lot of time with this person, instead of less than an hour and a half.
March 6, 2013
Frances: "Sometimes it's good to do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it."
Prem D.
July 17, 2014
Beautiful in the most unexpected way.
July 13, 2014
Its a beautiful movie. Interestingly it does not warrant an active 'watching' and that is where its beauty lies. A not so simple feat the creative genius of maker and intelligent camera work ends up achieving. Movie got such a young vibe and you realize it in the two contrasting dinner table conversations. The Lead Greta Gerwig did a fantastic portrait of frances and the very last frame explains the title. Along the story line, you see how renting out your own apartments equals the feeling that you are arrived and got the grip. In end you make a mental note at least to learn and know a person the way you know Frances now.
November 2, 2013
Noah Baumbach's most accomplished work to date, and Greta Gerwig finally is able to establish herself firmly as a rising leading lady.
Kate O.
June 26, 2014
What a delight of a movie. See it, you will not be disappointed.
ericvulpi
December 14, 2013
A festival of Greta Gerwig many talents and charms
June 19, 2014
Normally stories about aimless adult children talking a lot but not saying much annoy me, but Greta Gerwig is absolutely charming and single-handily makes this one a winner.
Mike N.
June 12, 2014
great direction and script saved this film from being lame, which it could have easily been. I enjoyed it.
June 8, 2014
An excellent movie with brilliant acting and lovable characters. Greta does a beautiful job playing Frances - a young 20 something woman in NY struggling with finding her feet, scrambling with career and social connections in a fast moving city.
May 29, 2014
Brisk and beautifully shot in black and white. "Frances Ha" is my favorite Noah Baumbach movie.
December 14, 2013
Great film, wonderfully captures the feeling of being on the older side of young adulthood.
May 26, 2014
This was so boring. Greta, you're better than this.
May 25, 2014
Best film I've seen in ages.
August 28, 2013
Pretty clever and funny. While there were good things about her character, Frances is the kind of flakey, self-absorbed woman who annoys me to no end in real life. This spoiled my enjoyment of the piece somewhat. Greta Gerwig is very natural, but always seems to play the same character in everything she does.
May 18, 2014
This is a "juno" in her mid 20's. By that i mean this film is quirky,hipstery and pretty good. It also has some of its own slang at times and is very in love with itself. Its also an interesting look into female friendship. Greta Gerwig is perfect as well.
May 17, 2014
Gerwig's performance gives this film a delightful touch and cleverness that makes it an enyojable ride.