Total Recall: Tim Burton's Best Movies

Summary

For 25 years and counting, Tim Burton has been one of the most successful directors in Hollywood -- and he's done it his way, presenting filmgoers with an ever-growing list of films that celebrate the strange and macabre, from comedies (Beetlejuice) to dramas (Big Fish) to thrillers (Sleepy Hollow), with a few stops for big-budget blockbuster fare along the way (Batman, Planet of the Apes). Heck, Burton's even proven his mettle as a director of animated fare (Corpse Bride) and served as a producer on at least one movie he didn't direct, but you probably thought he did (The Nightmare Before Christmas). This week, Burton brings his unique style to bear -- in 3-D, no less! -- on a feature-length, stop-motion animated expansion of his early short film Frankenweenie, and to celebrate, we decided to take a look back at his 10 best-reviewed films. Let's Total Recall, shall we? Back to Article

Comments

Cloud

Neil Charles Kevin Sanchez

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a remake, just so you know.

Oct 3 - 08:48 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is a re-adaption, which means that Burton made the movie based following the book accurately, & not basing itself off the shitty 70s one. A remake of his is Planet of the Apes.

Oct 3 - 11:31 PM

Namclay

Zach M.

Well, it does have dark tones to it.

Oct 3 - 08:50 PM

Observation 99

Observation 99

Some things about Tim Burton annoy the hell out of me. I hate how he feels the need to force the same Burton devices into every one of his adaptations, no matter how little the source material needed it, and I REALLY hate how some of his fans mindlessly crap on great adaptations of the same source material in attempt to keep worshipping him. The same old gothic and "dark" = BRILLIANT comments get old fast.

But even I would never say he's not a good filmmaker. At least as many of his movies as not are entertaining and original, and Big Fish and Ed Wood are two of my favorite movies of all time. Plus, the Batman movies were at least enjoyable (mostly), so that's two positive points to his adaptations scorecard.

Oct 3 - 10:23 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I really enjoyed Batman. It's dark, funny and action-packed. I think a lot of people tend to underestimate that movie. It'll always be my favorite Batman movie. But TDK is a close second!

Oct 3 - 11:25 PM

Sam Silbert

Sam Silbert

Nope, its a first

Oct 6 - 10:20 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Best: Edward Scissorhands, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd, Beatlejuice, Corpse Bride, big fish, Ed wood, & Batman Returns.

Worst:.............NONE!!!!

Oct 3 - 11:27 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Honorable mention: Mars Attacks! (We need more
Parodies like these, & not none of that Vampires Suck or Epic Movie bullshit)

Oct 3 - 11:39 PM

Worst:.............NONE!!!!

Really? You like "Planet Of The Apes", "Alice In Wonderland" and "Dark Shadows"? I love Burton's work but these three movies are all about visuals, plotwise they are all over the place. I find "Planet Of The Apes" to be virtually unwatchable. And as for "Dark Shadows" it's only saving grace is the visual aspect of the film. It's a mess and the jokes fall completly flat. Not hating, though, just sharing my views.

Oct 4 - 03:43 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Alice in Wonderland may not be "Sweeney Todd" or even "Beetlejuice" but it was worthwhile & great, & unlike the animated one (not a bad movie BTW) & what other idiots begin to imply by their idiocracy, it has a PLOT. Dark Shadows, while only decent, & my least favorite of his pieces by far, was just a popcorn movie. If only it would have actually been more serious like the actual show itself.

Planet of The Apes, haven't seen that since it was first released on home media viewing, so i can't say anything.

Oct 4 - 12:26 PM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Alice in wonderland does have a plot, but I think it is an awfull one. And it takes too much liberties with Carrol's characters and it's an overdrive of action, color and noise with no magic at all. It was a major dissaponted as I had allways though that Burton would be an excellent choice to bring Carrol's world to life. But Burton's reindition of Carrol's world feels trmendously artificial, too obviously CGI'd and not very magical. ut that's just me. As for Dark Shadowa I also do not think that it suceeds as a popcorn movie because it's very uneven (inapropriate for younger audiences but with filled with childish moments and writing). Plus the jokes fall completly flat, despite very conscious and unsucesseful attempts at nonsensical humor.

Oct 6 - 01:45 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Oct 3 - 11:31 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Animated films Directed by Tim Burton = Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, & soon The Adams Family (if he still has plans on that)

Animated films he did NOT direct = A Nightmare before Christmas, Coraline (yes, some people out there actually thought he directed this movie)

Oct 3 - 11:36 PM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

It doesn't suprise me that Coraline is mistaken for Burton movie, it's by the same director as nightmare before christmas (Henry Selick).

Oct 4 - 03:08 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

And just to add to that "Paranorman" as well :P

Oct 4 - 04:28 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I have not heard anyone imply that Burton had a single involvement with that. Guess they must have learned when they watched Coraline.

Oct 5 - 12:18 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Honorable mention: Mars Attacks! (We need more
Parodies like these, & not none of that Vampires Suck or Epic Movie bullshit)

Oct 3 - 11:39 PM

Balls McHammer

kolya Fist

Burton is ALL style and no substance. I liked Edward Scissor Hands, and Ed Wood OK, but his other movies I keep waiting for them to evolve past the set design but hey never do. Dark Shadows is a prime example, it started off with so much promise then after about 20 or so minutes it just vaporizes into nothing.

Oct 3 - 11:43 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

EXACTLY! If he would stop for a minute from visualizing how a movie should look, and focus on how it should feel (characters, plot, etc) then his films would actually have a lot more punch. Only Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, and Big Fish can be considered to have likable characters and an engaging plot. Honorable mentions include Sweeney Todd and Corpse Bride (simply because the characters are supposed to be one-dimensional).

Oct 4 - 04:35 PM

Jordan Blake

Jordan Blake

It's very silly to use the word "ALL," followed by two exceptions. You're making a fair point (minus Big Fish, which is very substantive), but you'd do well to limit your usage of superlatives.

Oct 7 - 03:20 PM

Raj M.

Raj Modi

Amongest all of his movie BIG FISH AND ALICE IN WONDERLAND are his best work ...

Oct 4 - 02:54 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Alice in Wonderland, seriously? It was borderline horrible...

Oct 4 - 11:16 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

And by that I hope you mean the border between horrible and downright unwatchable xD

Oct 4 - 04:37 PM

Oct 4 - 03:08 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

As far as I'm concerned the best Burton movies are Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, The Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd. I also quite like Mars Attacks and never seen "Big Fish". Nightmare Before Christmas would top them all if I was counting it as a Burton film. Which, let's be honest, in essence it is.

Oct 4 - 03:35 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

The only movies of his that I find to be bad are "The Planet Of The Apes", "Alice In Wonderland", "Dark Shadows"and "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" (I know, how does a Burton fan not like it?). I'm also not that crazy about "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory". It's a very competent movie, it just doesn't catch my fancy. Love every other one of his movies. Strangely enough I have never watched "Big Fish", it never caught my interest.

Oct 4 - 03:51 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer