Total Recall: Tim Burton's Best Movies

Summary

For 25 years and counting, Tim Burton has been one of the most successful directors in Hollywood -- and he's done it his way, presenting filmgoers with an ever-growing list of films that celebrate the strange and macabre, from comedies (Beetlejuice) to dramas (Big Fish) to thrillers (Sleepy Hollow), with a few stops for big-budget blockbuster fare along the way (Batman, Planet of the Apes). Heck, Burton's even proven his mettle as a director of animated fare (Corpse Bride) and served as a producer on at least one movie he didn't direct, but you probably thought he did (The Nightmare Before Christmas). This week, Burton brings his unique style to bear -- in 3-D, no less! -- on a feature-length, stop-motion animated expansion of his early short film Frankenweenie, and to celebrate, we decided to take a look back at his 10 best-reviewed films. Let's Total Recall, shall we? Back to Article

Comments

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Worst:.............NONE!!!!

Really? You like "Planet Of The Apes", "Alice In Wonderland" and "Dark Shadows"? I love Burton's work but these three movies are all about visuals, plotwise they are all over the place. I find "Planet Of The Apes" to be virtually unwatchable. And as for "Dark Shadows" it's only saving grace is the visual aspect of the film. It's a mess and the jokes fall completly flat. Not hating, though, just sharing my views.

Oct 4 - 03:43 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Alice in Wonderland may not be "Sweeney Todd" or even "Beetlejuice" but it was worthwhile & great, & unlike the animated one (not a bad movie BTW) & what other idiots begin to imply by their idiocracy, it has a PLOT. Dark Shadows, while only decent, & my least favorite of his pieces by far, was just a popcorn movie. If only it would have actually been more serious like the actual show itself.

Planet of The Apes, haven't seen that since it was first released on home media viewing, so i can't say anything.

Oct 4 - 12:26 PM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Alice in wonderland does have a plot, but I think it is an awfull one. And it takes too much liberties with Carrol's characters and it's an overdrive of action, color and noise with no magic at all. It was a major dissaponted as I had allways though that Burton would be an excellent choice to bring Carrol's world to life. But Burton's reindition of Carrol's world feels trmendously artificial, too obviously CGI'd and not very magical. ut that's just me. As for Dark Shadowa I also do not think that it suceeds as a popcorn movie because it's very uneven (inapropriate for younger audiences but with filled with childish moments and writing). Plus the jokes fall completly flat, despite very conscious and unsucesseful attempts at nonsensical humor.

Oct 6 - 01:45 PM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

The only movies of his that I find to be bad are "The Planet Of The Apes", "Alice In Wonderland", "Dark Shadows"and "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" (I know, how does a Burton fan not like it?). I'm also not that crazy about "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory". It's a very competent movie, it just doesn't catch my fancy. Love every other one of his movies. Strangely enough I have never watched "Big Fish", it never caught my interest.

Oct 4 - 03:51 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Still need to see Pee Wee's Big Adventure. It and Dark Shadows are the only two Burton films I haven't seen yet. As for the rest, I still think Edward Sicissorhands to be his best. In fact, it features Depp, Burton and Elfman all being at their best. An incredibely touching and heartfelt film. As for his worst, I'd go with Planet of the Apes, mainly because it doesn't even feel like a Burton film. You'd think a premises of Apes becoming humans and humans becoming animals would be a perfect fomula for Burton weirdness and yet for some reason he completely held back on his style.

Anyway, here's how I'd rank his top ten:

Edward Scissorhands
Ed Wood
Sweeney Todd
Batman Returns
Beetlejuice
Sleepy Hallow
Corpse Bride
Batman
Big Fish
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Oct 4 - 05:54 AM

Hans Crynock

Hans Crynock

As far as memorable films, his are the best. They exude the delicious wonderment and delight that is childhood.

Oct 4 - 06:03 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Yeah, I find the enjoyment of Batman Returns depends on how much of a Burton fan you are. It really is a Burton film rather than a Batman film, the kind of film which is just weird for weirdness sake, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your opinion of Burton. Personally, as a fan of Burton, I thought Batman Returns was easily the best Batman film before Christopher Nolan came on to the scene.

Oct 4 - 06:05 AM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

big fish is great.

Oct 4 - 06:36 AM

Mike Hilliary

Mike Hilliary

charlie and the choco factory beat beatlejuice? That movie was complete crap

Oct 4 - 08:56 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Amen!

Oct 4 - 07:40 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

It was as much crap as District 9.

Oct 5 - 12:47 AM

Sam Silbert

Sam Silbert

I want to punch you in the face

Oct 6 - 10:20 AM

Rodschach

Rod Guzman

Where the hell is Nightmare Before Christmas?

Oct 4 - 09:18 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

This was addressed in the summary, as well as in the comments. READ BEFORE POSTING.

Oct 4 - 12:31 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Ignorance is sometimes contagious!

Oct 4 - 01:49 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

How are there still people out there who think that Burton directed "Nightmare..."? Especially, since they make note of it in the opening summary...

Oct 4 - 04:40 PM

Dave J

Dave J

They obviously chose to comment first instead of reading the intro as well as the comments!

Oct 9 - 01:18 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank