Frayed

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Frayed Reviews

ken j

June 25, 2009
When a small town sheriff gets the call he hoped would never happen it seems his son who has been locked up for many years inside a mental hospital has just escaped he must now make sure and try and keep the town he has sworn to protect safe as well as his daughter who just so happens to be out in the woods behind the hospital on a camping trip. Thats more or less the plot to this low budget horror movie that does so happen to come with a what the hell twist at the end of course i didnt put the twist in the review just for those that watch this will have to look out for it overall though its not a bad movie but its also not one of the great ones watch at your own risk.
July 13, 2013
Frayed starts powerfully and brutally and ends with a twist you won't see coming. Unfortunately, the bulk of the film gets a bit tedious. It is overly long for a horror film. A leaner, 90-minute or less version would have perhaps been much better.
juliantoepfer
October 6, 2011
The absolute epitome of cliche horror film. It tries so so hard to be 'Halloween' or 'Friday the 13th', but lacks any sort of creative flair, originality, scariness, competency, or story telling skills.

Without an ounce of exaggeration, I figured the entire movie out 10 minutes into it. No joke. I don't say that to pat myself on the back, I just want to reiterate how cookie-cutter this movie is. The 'twist' ending is abundantly clear within the first 15 minutes, as is the second 'twist'. Nothing here distinguishes it from any one of a countless number of questionable at best horror films.

The characters are all horribly written, and even more horribly acted. Another one of those movies where you are just praying for everyone to meet a quick and painful demise. The lighting is amateur, as it is either to dark or too light in seemingly every scene, and I have a hard time believing this was a co-directorial effort. You would think one of them would know how to frame a shot or utilize an off-kilter camera angle.

With all the negatives I've mentioned, I can't completely and totally trash this. Despite being a total rehash/rip-off, it fulfills that cookie-cutter horror flick tag very well. There is a reason that this plot has been done before, and that's because it is at least moderately effective. I'd never recommend it, but it is a step ahead of terrible.
November 22, 2009
Starts off decently, but then quickly falls into typical horror trappings and never really recovers. Some good shoots, aside, some of the camera work didn't gel.
jam233
August 16, 2009
Suspenseful and it doesn't look ultra low budget like so many horror films. The acting is fine, but it has a misleading twist that didn't thrill me much.
Jeremiah Jordan
April 22, 2014
This had a beautifully vicious opening kill, but after that, it becomes quite tame and rather boring. I was 'very' disappointed that Tasha Smith-Floe wasn't shown that same beautiful viciousness.
March 12, 2013
Saw this movie last night, as it was "on demand" and although it didn't receive high marks here I must say this movie was very good/very enjoyable if not believable. The opening sequence sets the stage and it has a interesting twist. Sure it may be predictable but in all honesty what, since the 6th Sense, hasn't been; I actually don't think its that predictable.
September 19, 2012
Halloween ripoff.....
Adam T.
January 20, 2012
Started with the typical horror formula then moved into the same twist ending, but another few twists and it wasn't that bad. Worth watching if you have nothing else to do.
Julian T.
December 5, 2011

September 28, 2011
Frayed (Norbert Caoili and Rob Portmann, 2007)

I tend to be a little obsessive about movie-watching when I get going. In the period from September 4 through September 6, I watched a total of ten films, ranging from the horrific to the pretty-darned-good. Of the lot, Frayed was my favorite (by a bare nose over Hanna. Sure, there's not much new under the sun here, and you'll probably see the two Big Reveals at the end coming a mile away (though the movie's final shot, which comes just after Big Reveal #2, is an even nastier twist of the knife than was the true ending of The Descent, so depressing it was excised from the American theatrical release...), but here's something I don't often say: this formula has been done a lot recently, and Frayed does it as well as anyone else has, and better than a lot of higher-profile flicks that cover much the same territory (I'm looking at you, Perkins' 14 and Basement Jack).

Plot: years ago, a policeman's son, Kurt (played as a child by Jimmy Castle in his first screen role and as an adult by Dino Moore, the movie's PA), a nasty, bullying little piece of work, was put away for the murder of his mother after he was sent to his room for bad behavior at his sister's birthday party. Now it's the present, his sister is in high school, his father (Life or Something Like It's Tony Doupe) is the Chief of Police, and everything goes to hell when Kurt escapes from the hospital. One of the hospital guards, Gary Jordan (We Need to Talk About Kevin's Aaron Blakely), is pursuing Kurt, who may be headed home to reprise his role with the new (well, new since he got sent up, anyway) stepmom Jolene (Highway's Kellee Bradley), or he may be after his sister Sara, now all grown up and gorgeous (Kabuki Mono's Alena Dashiell). Needless to say, they're on opposite sides of town, Gary's only one guy, and Chief Pat seems more concerned with covering up the escape than actually hunting his kid down...

Here's a hint: this is not a turn-your-brain-off slasher film. I've seen many, many message board comments and questions about things that make perfect sense as long as you paid enough attention to figure out the three key shots at the end that explain everything. But if you miss the significance of one or more of those three shots (without going into spoiler territory: the picture, the family in the kitchen, and the bedroom), you weren't following closely enough, which makes the impact of the final shot nonexistent (and without the impact of the final shot, this really kind of is a turn-your-brain-off slasher flick). They tell you everything, including the one thing I haven't seen a single person mention: what triggered the entire chain of events that movie's built on. That's extremely important, and no one says anything about it at all. (It's also THE spoiler for the film, so I'm not going to say what it is, but I'm going to let you know that it does exist, and it's contained in the film.)

One last thing: the opening sequence ends with the killing of Kurt's mother, a scene that is quite brutal (it has been compared to the similar opening-sequence-ending murder in Gaspar Noe's Irreversible). While the rest of the film never even comes close to that level of brutality (nor its special effects budget), those with weak stomachs might want to stay away, or fast-forward about two minutes when the action cuts from the birthday party to Sara's bedroom. I've seen more than one comment from people who turned the movie off at that point. *** ¬ 1/2
August 18, 2011
If not for the atrocious acting and completely transparent "twist" ending, this might have been a decent movie. Instead do yourself a favor and only watch the first 4 minutes of the movie and then shut it off. Consider it the best short horror film you've ever seen.
John Arthur Beaman
August 14, 2011
A couple pieces of advice, when correcting your mentally unstable child, never take a camcorder with you. When you live in the vicinity of mentally derranged killers, make sure your cell phones work. And if you're gong to make a movie with a twist ending, don't telegraph it from twenty minutes in.

I probably found "Frayed" to be more annoying than I should have just because it was so obvious. So much so, I have to wonder if it wasn't done on purpose, but of course that brings along a whole new set of problems. This is just bad story telling as its finest.

In the end of the end, the filmakers try to add on a layer or two of sophistication "Usual Suspects" style, but that actually pays a disservice to all the stupid that comes before it. And when you can pay disservice to stupid you know something has just gone horribly wrong.
July 3, 2011
decent twist ending I guess
May 29, 2011
Although maybe a little too predictable, one of the best thriller/horror movies I've ever seen. Had a pretty disturbing scene in the first 6 minutes, just a heads up for those with weak stomachs. Absolutely loved it though, great twists and turns throughout.
April 30, 2011
I liked this movie even though a lot could be cut out. The end was a huge surprise, but kind of far fetched for me. Very suspenseful. Worth renting. Not much gore, but disturbing none the less.
April 10, 2011
pretty good movie but this movie seems to be the exact same as Rob Zombie's Halloween remake. you would swear you are watching practically the same film. but its still a good movie
March 29, 2011
O.K., so this one passes as one of those movies you watch on a Saturday afternoon when you don't have much else to do. It's actually passable better than anything you'd get straight to DVD or made-for-TV, but not quite measuring up to feature film. As a fan of the make-up effects in movies (i.e,. blood and gore), this movie did a fine job of impressing me with the realism. The first murder scene is not for the casual fan - you might want to look away. Again, this movie won't blow you away, but I've seen far worse and it hasn't a decent twist at the end.
Vegan G.
August 3, 2010
Good movie but some major problems with inconsistency & believability. Worth seeing. It's good but not great.
Paul Chambers
September 17, 2009
Interesting start with some decent acting. But, ultimately predictable with a script in total confusion. Paul Chambers, CNN.