Frayed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frayed Reviews

½ May 13, 2014
the mother was hit in the forehead at first and not from behind like they wanted to show at the movie end.
½ April 22, 2014
This had a beautifully vicious opening kill, but after that, it becomes quite tame and rather boring. I was 'very' disappointed that Tasha Smith-Floe wasn't shown that same beautiful viciousness.
½ August 8, 2013
had it half figured out, then the full twist came together and BLEW MY MIND!!! pretty good movie!! Definately worth a watch!!!
July 13, 2013
Frayed starts powerfully and brutally and ends with a twist you won't see coming. Unfortunately, the bulk of the film gets a bit tedious. It is overly long for a horror film. A leaner, 90-minute or less version would have perhaps been much better.
March 12, 2013
Saw this movie last night, as it was "on demand" and although it didn't receive high marks here I must say this movie was very good/very enjoyable if not believable. The opening sequence sets the stage and it has a interesting twist. Sure it may be predictable but in all honesty what, since the 6th Sense, hasn't been; I actually don't think its that predictable.
January 20, 2013
Impressive opening scene, and then many twists and turns--Scary, Effective Slasher!!
½ September 19, 2012
Halloween ripoff.....
½ September 9, 2012
Ultra low budget trash.
April 28, 2012
it seemed to try to hard to have a shocking ending.. n was a lil bit wtf.. left me feeling unsatisfied... pity coz it started pretty good..
March 24, 2012
omg......... wow........ wanna see this....
½ January 20, 2012
Started with the typical horror formula then moved into the same twist ending, but another few twists and it wasn't that bad. Worth watching if you have nothing else to do.
October 6, 2011
The absolute epitome of cliche horror film. It tries so so hard to be 'Halloween' or 'Friday the 13th', but lacks any sort of creative flair, originality, scariness, competency, or story telling skills.

Without an ounce of exaggeration, I figured the entire movie out 10 minutes into it. No joke. I don't say that to pat myself on the back, I just want to reiterate how cookie-cutter this movie is. The 'twist' ending is abundantly clear within the first 15 minutes, as is the second 'twist'. Nothing here distinguishes it from any one of a countless number of questionable at best horror films.

The characters are all horribly written, and even more horribly acted. Another one of those movies where you are just praying for everyone to meet a quick and painful demise. The lighting is amateur, as it is either to dark or too light in seemingly every scene, and I have a hard time believing this was a co-directorial effort. You would think one of them would know how to frame a shot or utilize an off-kilter camera angle.

With all the negatives I've mentioned, I can't completely and totally trash this. Despite being a total rehash/rip-off, it fulfills that cookie-cutter horror flick tag very well. There is a reason that this plot has been done before, and that's because it is at least moderately effective. I'd never recommend it, but it is a step ahead of terrible.
December 5, 2011

October 30, 2011
Competently made slasher flick that sends WAY too much time trying to "fool" the audience. The big twist is telegraphed about 10minutes in and then proceeds to beat the viewer over the head, so the reveal is hardly a shock. However, there proves to be a much more effectively hidden moment that comes shortly there after, which gives everything a whole new spin. It isn't enough to save the whole endevour (in fact, it kind of enhances what a missed opportunity for something really special the film turns out to be.)

Would be curious to see the filmmakers get another shot at something as they so some flair.
½ October 26, 2011
Ultra low budget sh*t!
October 2, 2011
The acting was bad, but the twist... Wow. Just wow.
½ September 28, 2011
Frayed (Norbert Caoili and Rob Portmann, 2007)

I tend to be a little obsessive about movie-watching when I get going. In the period from September 4 through September 6, I watched a total of ten films, ranging from the horrific to the pretty-darned-good. Of the lot, Frayed was my favorite (by a bare nose over Hanna. Sure, there's not much new under the sun here, and you'll probably see the two Big Reveals at the end coming a mile away (though the movie's final shot, which comes just after Big Reveal #2, is an even nastier twist of the knife than was the true ending of The Descent, so depressing it was excised from the American theatrical release...), but here's something I don't often say: this formula has been done a lot recently, and Frayed does it as well as anyone else has, and better than a lot of higher-profile flicks that cover much the same territory (I'm looking at you, Perkins' 14 and Basement Jack).

Plot: years ago, a policeman's son, Kurt (played as a child by Jimmy Castle in his first screen role and as an adult by Dino Moore, the movie's PA), a nasty, bullying little piece of work, was put away for the murder of his mother after he was sent to his room for bad behavior at his sister's birthday party. Now it's the present, his sister is in high school, his father (Life or Something Like It's Tony Doupe) is the Chief of Police, and everything goes to hell when Kurt escapes from the hospital. One of the hospital guards, Gary Jordan (We Need to Talk About Kevin's Aaron Blakely), is pursuing Kurt, who may be headed home to reprise his role with the new (well, new since he got sent up, anyway) stepmom Jolene (Highway's Kellee Bradley), or he may be after his sister Sara, now all grown up and gorgeous (Kabuki Mono's Alena Dashiell). Needless to say, they're on opposite sides of town, Gary's only one guy, and Chief Pat seems more concerned with covering up the escape than actually hunting his kid down...

Here's a hint: this is not a turn-your-brain-off slasher film. I've seen many, many message board comments and questions about things that make perfect sense as long as you paid enough attention to figure out the three key shots at the end that explain everything. But if you miss the significance of one or more of those three shots (without going into spoiler territory: the picture, the family in the kitchen, and the bedroom), you weren't following closely enough, which makes the impact of the final shot nonexistent (and without the impact of the final shot, this really kind of is a turn-your-brain-off slasher flick). They tell you everything, including the one thing I haven't seen a single person mention: what triggered the entire chain of events that movie's built on. That's extremely important, and no one says anything about it at all. (It's also THE spoiler for the film, so I'm not going to say what it is, but I'm going to let you know that it does exist, and it's contained in the film.)

One last thing: the opening sequence ends with the killing of Kurt's mother, a scene that is quite brutal (it has been compared to the similar opening-sequence-ending murder in Gaspar Noe's Irreversible). While the rest of the film never even comes close to that level of brutality (nor its special effects budget), those with weak stomachs might want to stay away, or fast-forward about two minutes when the action cuts from the birthday party to Sara's bedroom. I've seen more than one comment from people who turned the movie off at that point. *** Â 1/2
August 18, 2011
If not for the atrocious acting and completely transparent "twist" ending, this might have been a decent movie. Instead do yourself a favor and only watch the first 4 minutes of the movie and then shut it off. Consider it the best short horror film you've ever seen.
August 14, 2011
A couple pieces of advice, when correcting your mentally unstable child, never take a camcorder with you. When you live in the vicinity of mentally derranged killers, make sure your cell phones work. And if you're gong to make a movie with a twist ending, don't telegraph it from twenty minutes in.

I probably found "Frayed" to be more annoying than I should have just because it was so obvious. So much so, I have to wonder if it wasn't done on purpose, but of course that brings along a whole new set of problems. This is just bad story telling as its finest.

In the end of the end, the filmakers try to add on a layer or two of sophistication "Usual Suspects" style, but that actually pays a disservice to all the stupid that comes before it. And when you can pay disservice to stupid you know something has just gone horribly wrong.
August 9, 2011
After such an interesting opening, this movie scene by scene was just one big clusterfuck. Did Vince Russo write this movie??? Led up to a reveal that was just stupid. Now I'm fuckin pissed!!!!! Fuck man!!! Wasted goddamn 111mins!!