Freaks Reviews

May 4, 2015
At first, it seems exploitative and crass. Probably the last place on earth I want to be. As the film went on, the story did end up drawing me in, & I felt sympathy for the characters. It begins slowly, but ends up telling a fairly relevant moral parable, & telling it well. One can't deny the sense of exploitation; but the story is so good, it becomes a bit of an afterthought. The duck thing is too much. They could have made Cleo grotesque without straining all credulity. Yet Cleopatra is pure evil. One of the worst villains of all time.
April 6, 2015
Vaguely tongue-in-cheek, Freaks is good but slightly tiresome in its over-the-top satirical view of the horror genre. In contemporary viewings, Freaks could be a wonderful metaphor for the dehumanisation that renders a victim of discrimation and prejudice socially and morally unconscious. It's smart and was released way before its time and has surprisingly aged extremely well, however it isn't as entertaining as some would have you believe. Nevertheless its increasingly iconic, has aged like a fine wine and deserves its place amongst the ranks of horror classics.
"We accept her one of us we accept her one of us..."
March 12, 2015
Madness never to been seen again. Exotic glimps of the 1920-30's freak show scene. This unique film is never to copied and a classic regarding the early experimentation of the film history. This story itself is actually pretty strong and far from dull. However the real characters fate in real life is a scary and sad thought.
February 24, 2015
Unbelievably tolled, the story of the freaks and the lassy who crossed them. While watching this slightly weird and very sweet film I was wandering when the horror would begin, I mean it said it was one of the greatest horror movies, then... Wham. Less then a few minutes before ending the freaks fight back, crawling on the ground in the rain-soaked mud. A truly sinister shot of revenge. It bam-bozzales me how this got made in the 30's. Weirdly a great watch.
½ January 18, 2015
Film de culto , horror y sobre la discriminación.
December 4, 2014
When I was a child, my parents never monitored what movies I saw. I think I was 7 or 8 when I saw it. I felt very sympathetic towards the freaks, but the sight of the part woman/part duck was very real to me, and I had nightmares for quite a while after.
December 2, 2014
Infamous for its odd characters, "Freaks" doesn't reach the standards of modern horror but still attains its disturbing atmosphere.
November 28, 2014
This movie fits snugly into quite a few spots....it's dramatic, it's funny, it's charming, it's touching, but the feeling that it's horrifying looms over the viewer the whole way. It takes a special, truly talented chef to make a dish that effectively utilizes more than two of your taste senses, in the same way it takes a truly talented director to make a movie that so effectively strikes many different emotional chords. Freaks is a true classic masterpiece among horror movies.
½ July 10, 2013
Why? Did Tod Browning think that his spiel at the start of the film would disguise that fact that he wanted to exploit these people on film in the same way that circuses did? or that his target audience isn't meant to be the same people he is shaming? If the film had a decent story to tell then it would perhaps make it worth being made but it doesn't. It's a stupid story that I guess didn't matter to the people who paid to see the unfortunate cast.
October 27, 2014
Once seen, never forgotten.
½ October 25, 2014
"O" filme sobre a diferença, preconceitos!
October 22, 2014
Inciting terror through the deformities of the impaired and sickly do not sit well in today's PC world, but in the 1930's, this was a chilling shocker of movie. Now, I can gladly say, it's a refreshing revenge fantasy. It's about the imperfect taking down the bloated perfectionism in American society, or in this case, an arian woman.
½ October 16, 2014
This is a wonderful film with great performances from Leila Hyams and the freaks themselves. There isn't a whole lot to the story so that why I did absolutely love it but it is a great movie
½ September 28, 2014
This is a lost classic. Another one for your October viewers list. The climax is wonderful creepy, and the payoff makes it all worth it. It offended the sensibilities of movie goers in 1932. It'll probably offend yours, too.
January 16, 2008
One of the most controversial films ever made, I suspect many more people have heard of Tod Browning's 1932 horror flick Freaks than have seen it. Apparently critics at the time saw it as little more than an exploitative shocker, and at times it becomes difficult to defend it as anything other than that. Firmly out of its tree from start to finish, the campy performances and bonkers dialogue make for plenty of cherishably deranged moments. To the horror movie, a genre he helped create, he brought a taste for Victorian melodrama and an understanding, which he must have gained in the circus, for the isolated lives of weird and deformed outsiders. It's really pretty hard to categorize this one, as it has it all: shocks, scares, humor, sweetness, and an undeniable "message". The film is a marvel of weirdness and oddity, a whirlwind of every definition that could possibly be printed under the word "strange." None of the sideshow performers in the film are actors by trade. In fact, most of them read their lines with stiffness that would rival that of a local newscaster. Freaks presents some elements like that, but instead it seems most concerned with gawking at the unusual characters. One side effect that comes with casting actual deformed people means that we find many amateurs in the film, and their acting lives up - or down - to that status. One of the oddest and most notorious films ever made, I can't call Freaks a good movie, but it's undeniably an interesting one. Marred with poor acting and a thin story, it still is intriguing and unusual enough to make it watchable.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
½ August 29, 2014
In a category all of it's own, a truly unique movie experience.
February 22, 2010
(First and only viewing - 8/21/2013)
November 7, 2008
I really want to see this!!!
June 30, 2014
Freaks is simply a film that would never get made today. Controversial at the time which is understandable considering 90% of the cast are made of actors with physical deformities. The film does prove to be an eye opener but surprisingly is written in a way to portray the individuals in a positive light. The unfortunate individuals are often seen happy and comes across as quite nice people. You do find yourself watching with a smile as you really begin to fall for such lovable folk. The two "normal" characters in the film are portrayed as the villains and you really do begin to hate them as the film goes on.
The ending does seem to create a different opinion however. Some viewers like the ending that is in place, however I felt it gave a mixed message to the characters we were enjoying. It will be down to personal opinion, but for me that ending stopped Freaks from becoming perfect in my eyes.
Whether you like the ending or not, Freaks still gives a strong message now as much as it did back then. Watching it really makes you realise the views some people have on those different to them.
½ June 19, 2014
Frightening and tense, sad and moving, beautiful and poignant all at the same time, Freaks manages to transcend its lack focus in the first act with tremendous character development and a fascinating look at prejudice and ignorance towards the different and suffering. It is that rare horror film that manages to make you nervous with awfully villainous characters and their deeds, while still maintaining a horrifying and truly unbelievable ending. Thanks to fantastic acting, smart approach, superb direction and plenty of deranged and memorable scenes, Freaks is a true gem and one of the best horror films ever made. An undisputed classic.