Freddy vs. Jason - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freddy vs. Jason Reviews

January 30, 2014
Well it had to happen at some point and I was always game for it, finally the two supernatural death dealers clash. The only thing that instantly springs to mind when writing about this is when will I see 'Michael Myers' 'Pinhead' 'Ash' 'Leatherface' or 'Chucky' join in on this horror icon mash?.

You'd think the plot behind this would be silly but it actually kinda works in my opinion. Freddy seems unable to get it up anymore, he can't scare kids because everyone has forgotten about him. So he hatches a plan that involves raising Jason from the dead to bring terror back into kids lives hoping they will assume its him. Unfortunately for Freddy, Jason gets carried away and is killing way too many and spoiling Freddy's catch, thusly a fight ensues.

So yes just like 'AvP' this is merely an excuse to see two iconic characters fight, the only difference is this film sticks to its trusted formula and delivers plenty of carnage. Now I'm not saying this carnage is worthy of praise, lets be frank we've seen it all before, but at least you get what you expect with no beating around the bush.

Its all about the kills, Freddy does what he does best with his creepy dreamy imagery whilst Jason stomps around and hacks teenagers up. There isn't anything particularly ingenious or original going on here, the teen kills aren't exactly new and fresh and the adults running around trying to solve the issue do exactly the same thing they always do. I guess the fun part is seeing Jason upset Freddy by taking fresh kills away from him and causing tension between the two, inevitably this does result in small touches of dark humour which is cool.

Its definitely a much better looking flick than most of the previous incarnations, the productions values are clearly quite high as its all very glossy. My only concern was maybe a bit too glossy, could of done with a hint of grit or that classic low budget feel perhaps. For shame on the decision to use CGI blood spurts in a few places, that's not cool at all and a worrying modern trend. Also one or two moments in the heat of battle do become a bit too farcical for my liking, just loses its edge...not that it was overly scary in the first place of course.

End of the day if you're not a fan of gory slasher flicks or you don't follow them much then this isn't gonna change your mind. On the other hand if you're a fanboy or like me you simply like the two franchises then I think you'll like this a lot. Bottom line all this is really is fan service, but surprisingly its much better than you'd think.

Silly thing is both of these characters are basically invincible and can't be killed, you can do virtually anything to either of them and they will still come back. So in theory it can keep going forever which does make the whole premise kinda daft really, at no point was I ever thinking that one of them would actually win. We all know and accept this to a degree but it just makes the whole battle a bit pointless really, at least Jason didn't team up with the kids against Freddy, which it was slightly hinting towards near the end.

For lack of a better does exactly what it says on the tin, and that's deliver a tidal wave of stereotypical killings and setups but with the huge added bonus of seeing both Freddy and Jason slug it out. OK I admit it...its pretty much completely for the fanboys, but if you're a fanboy then get that handcream ready cos its geekgasm time!.
½ August 30, 2013
A generally horrible story with so much video game type of action and CGI that it's instantly annoying. Speaking of annoying, these teenagers got on my nerves. It was really quite surreal to watch Freddy and Jason fight, though. And they had such a stupid reason too. I only gave this movie the rating I did because of how scary I felt it was. Not a good movie, but it did creep me out.
½ July 28, 2013
A fantasy match-up that doesn't live up to the hype. Freddy vs. Jason pit two iconic slashers and it's bloody, disdain and overall, predictable. The ensemble (aside from the slashers themselves) are simplistic and do no good in even hyping up the confrontation. 2.5/5
½ June 21, 2006
The match up that many people had been waiting for!

It's not really that great of a movie if you don't treat it like a genre entry, but it is admittedly a fun little guilty pleasure. Plus, it's great seeing two major horror titans go at it, just like in the monster mash movies of old.

Freddy Kruger is no longer the menace he once was, so he goes through a hair-brained scheme to regain control on Elm Street. He uses Jason Vorhees, tricking poeple into thinking it's really Freddy. Problem is, Jason won't stop, so Freddy has to go in and handle things himself.

The film delivers with the gore, but a lot of the humor is very hit and miss, with plenty of obnoxious groaners and annoying moments. The effects are at least well done, and I liked how they did deliver a good showdown, and, as far as the ending goes, well, that's probably the best possible way they could have done it since it would have been impossible to please everyone.

Bottom line, if you like Freddy or Jason, then give it a watch.
Directors Cat
½ January 17, 2012
Freddy vs Jason is the rare crossover that works. It's a return to form for not only one but both of the seemingly never ending film franchises. It certainly wont convert anyone into the worlds of Elm Street and Camp Crystal Lake that aren't already fans of the two likable horror icons. However, it's absolutely brilliant for those who liked the original films and needed something more than just a repetition of the same old slice and dice. Filled with thrills and even a few a laughs it's something that im sure Cunnigham and Craven wouldn't have disliked. I certainly didn't.
January 24, 2007
Two successful horror series end:. A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th. So what do you do to keep two horror icons on top? You put them in the same movie, of course! This idea had actually been around since the late 80's, when both series were starting to dwindle at the box office (which is part of the reason they both came to an end a couple of movies later). If you read my review for Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood, then you'd know (or perhaps you already knew) that it was originally written to be the Jason VS. Freddy match-up, but when Paramount Pictures and New Line Cinema couldn't reach an agreement about financing and distribution rights, the project was re-written and became another Friday sequel without Freddy. Even at the end of Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, we're teased when Freddy pulls Jason's mask underground, foreboding what's to come. It went through development hell all the way into the new millenium, taking almost 20 years until everything finally fell into place. New Line Cinema bought the rights to make new Friday films and a script was agreed upon, as was a title: Freddy VS. Jason (because it "sounded better"). As for me, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a lot of fun watching these two go at it, and they REALLY go at it. The film also doesn't step outside of canon, either, honoring both franchises without changing their backstories. They even allude to or you use things from past films in each series within the plot. Of course, not everybody was happy with it. People bitched and moaned that Kane Hodder wasn't back to play Jason. Instead, stuntman Ken Kirzinger took over the role, which caused quite a row. I didn't really care who was playing Jason, to be honest. Kane Hodder is good in the role, but there's never been a definitive Jason for me. All I know is that I had been waiting for this movie since I first read about it in Fangoria magazine in 1993. The movie is what it's supposed to be: Freddy and Jason bashing the hell out of each other. I think people were pre-disposed to believe that this would be another entry in both franchises, but that just wouldn't work. It's not a Friday the 13th movie, nor is it A Nightmare on Elm Street movie. It's its own thing, and exists because of those movies. So if you haven't seen this one, let me give you some advice: as long as you can sit back and enjoy a fun movie without worrying too much about its quality, then you'll be fine. It's a bit old school with most of the effects, gore out the wazoo, some cheesy dialogue at times and just overall, a fun movie. I don't know what else people could possibly want from it.
October 26, 2011
Actually surprisingly good/decent. It's a win win, you get some of Freddy and you get some of Jason. Who wouldn't like them fighting against each other?!
Marc L.
October 9, 2011
You know, everyone has that one movie that is so fun, you could see it every day for the rest of your life and it would still be entertaining. For some it's "Transformers". For others, it's "Jurassic Park". For me, "Freddy v.s Jason". It's smart, it's funny, it's cheesy, it's messy and it's dark. Sweet. It's not the best movie I've seen, but it's without a doubt one of the funnest.

Let me start of that, like Ninja Assassin, this movie is VERY bloody and VERY gory. Parents, if you have 10 year old kids who want to see this do NOT let them see this film!. There are decapitations, gory stabbings and impaled teenagers galore. Granted, most of the violence is pretty cartoony but it's not child appropriate none the less.

Most of the acting in this movie was pretty good. Robert Englund, of course, was practically flawless as the dream killer Freddy Krueger. He keeps Freddy scary as hell, but also keeps his darkly playful, mischievous side, toying with his victims before killing them. Never before has there been a character that scared me yet made me laugh like this. I also think that Jason Ritter did a good job as Will, one of the teenagers who witnessed some of the Freddy murders first hand. As far as teenage actors in horror films go, you don;t see performances like his every day.

One of the great things about this movie is the way director Ronny Yu created a smart and realistic conflict between evil serial killer Freddy and Jason. Basically, Freddy can no longer terrorize the teens of Elm Street. Why? Because no one believes in him anymore. In order to strike fear once again, Freddy convinces Jason Voorhees to do killings in his name by disguising as his mother. The more killings Jason does, the more powerful Krueger becomes. Eventually, Jason finds out what Freddy is up to and is, naturally, pissed as hell, leading to an all out war between the 2 killers.

This movie is actually surprisingly terrifying. It wasn't "The Exorcist" or anything, but there are plenty of creepy, disturbing scenes in this movie. It was a truly frightening movie thanks to Yu's winning combination of pop ups, VERY creepy music, and gore.

That's not to say the film didn't have it's laughs. Freddy Krueger is a one liner machine, chock full of great, funny quotes that are some of the most memorable scenes in the movie. He's like the Warren Sapp of serial killers.

And of course, how can you talk about Freddy v.s Jason without mentioning the fight scenes? These fight scenes were truly amazing and well choreographed, a good mix of Freddy's agility and athleticism and Jason's durability and strength. The best fight scenes I've seen in a long time.

Over all, "Freddy v.s Jason" is one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen. Is it one of the best? No. But it's good enough and insanely fun enough for it to be one of my favorites. If you were to go on a roller coaster, while watching the National Championship on your iPhone, while winning a million dollars, it would be about as fun as this movie.
½ September 5, 2011
This was a surprisingly competent movie. At least based on some of the sequels introduced in both franchises, not to mention the failed opportunities the remakes represent. The movie features both Freddy and Jason at their sadistic best, and it feels more like "A Nightmare on Elm Street" movie, which is good due to the superior atmosphere. As usual I despise the human characters, at least they become a fairly impressive body count. It's probably enough just two see the two icons go toe-to-toe. I recommend watching it.
August 15, 2011
Not a horror movie anymore, now its a action film, thanks a lot Hollywood for screwing us out of our money.
½ March 21, 2009
yea hills have eyes 2 still makes this look like the godfather. just dont see either one, but NEVER EVER watch hills have eyes 2. its probably the cause of autism.
November 18, 2009
While it's corny and implausible most of the time, this is such a fun movie. It was a long time coming to fans of both series, being hinted in Jason Goes To Hell 10 years before. This movie spares no expense to have Jason wreaking havoc and Freddy being creepy and hilarious. I like the story on the shear fact that it's pretty much believable and not corny or ridiculous. This highlights all the better aspects of both franchises and doesn't have many of the weak spots.
January 17, 2008
Freddy vs. Jason is a fun horror film. It's the bloodiest, but not the goriest (Jason Goes to Hell is the goriest). Freddy vs. Jason has some good effects, GREAT cinematography, good acting, TONS of funny humor, and lots, and lots of blood. The final battle is outstanding and is definitely worth the wait. I highly recommend this one to horror fans! It's great entertainment. My fifth favorite in the Friday the 13th series.
½ July 21, 2010
½ June 8, 2010
Finally after many years, Freddy Vs Jason was released to Friday and Nightmare fans alike. Most were disappointed in this film. I however thought it was a great ride and one of the best films since the original Friday's and first Nightmare films. The cast though amateurs and therefore not excellent, where decent at best. What really did the film for me was the sheer amount of gore and violence, simply awesome. As far as a film of this magnitude is concerned, this is a winner. Loved it and after the somewhat dreadful Jason X, I found this film to be quite a breath of fresh. Some may disagree with my review, but if you look at it from my perspective, how did you want this film to really turn out? people cite some moronic reasons to not like this film, anyways instead of pointing all it's flaws, I'll be happy with this effort, I personally think no one could create something better than this. My only complaint is that Kane Hodder wasn't Jason. A great ride!
½ May 12, 2008
A campy horror movie that doesn't do anything new or compelling with a cool premise that follows the same horror cliches the 2 series helped invent in the 80's. The action is perfunctory and not in the least bit exciting while the writing is cheesy. There's also a conspiracy plot involving the town and getting rid of the memory of Freddy (another interesting premise not used well). Did you know Camp Crystal Lake and Elm Street were within a 20-30 minute driving distance? Neither did I, but it's another plot element the movie uses to speed things along with no care whether it makes sense to either franchise. If both of these characters were killing people within that much of a distance at the same time, they would do something about it. I'm getting too into this now, so I'm just going to say the movie wasn't worth the wait and the only saving grace is Robert England returning as Freddy for one last time. He's still got it.
½ May 23, 2010
This was okay. Not something I'd watch again.
September 10, 2007
the sotryline is great and is just boring but its ok for the gore factor
March 25, 2007
Dumb but entertaining, the fight at the end is almost worth it.
March 4, 2008
Freddy vs. Jason is the modern day equivalent to Frankenstein meets the Wolfman. It's basically about the fight at the end. There's no need for a plot (which this has very little of). The one thing I noticed from this film is the acting, which is horrid but I think it's because of some of the craptastic lines of dialogue these kids are given. And this is comparing to other Friday movies.

People waited 20 years for this and they got it. Yeah, the fight is good, but it's the muck you have to go through to get there. A film that falls flat.