Free Willy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free Willy Reviews

½ September 28, 2011
Free Willy is a decent family film. I remember liking it as a kid, but it's one of those family films that doesn't really age well. I can think of many other childhood favorites that are better than this. Everyone knows the story of Free Willy. This is one of those films that really doesn't do anything that great. I enjoyed it as a kid, but it's not one of those films that stand out among other childhood favorites. Looking back now, the film is good, but is never anything great. The acting is average for a film like this, and so is the story. The best actor in this film is Michael Ironside and the rest of the cast are really so-so. Free Willy is a decent family film, never anything great, and compared to the films from my childhood, Free Willy is my least favorite. The film isn't really memorable. As a family film, it's perfect, but one should realize that this isn't a film that will stick with you, unlike so many other family films such as Toy Story, The Sandlot and Home Alone. Free Willy is entertaining, but it feels so ordinary in terms of a family film. This isn't the type of film that can withstand multiple viewings. Free Willy might have been good as a childhood film, but it's one that hasn't stood the test of time. I'll stick with Toy Story, at least that film is timeless, and lots of fun with good acting on the actors parts. But this, this feels like it tries too hard at being a sentimental film, and it just doesn't cut it.
June 24, 2011
Makes me cry everytime! A childhood favourite and a classic!
September 6, 2010
Not your ordinary kid and animal movie, it's also an activist/political movie. It's about saving the whales, obviously, and that's cool. I really liked this movie when I saw it in theatres as a kid, and I think kids today will like it too. This movie is cute and sweet, but also full of hope.
January 22, 2011
I've got to say that this will always be a classic in my book. I really like the story and the overall feel of the movie. It's not just a trivial boy + animal adventure. This has a pretty dark theme going, having your main character be a homeless tween is pretty brave. Especially when he's extremely flawed and such a troublemaker. The sideplot of killer whale poachers is not too bad either.
½ November 16, 2010
Scariest stuff out there.
January 11, 2007
This died a horrible death and I'm so thankful.
January 15, 2010
Really well made! Could not have been made any better!
August 15, 2009
Of the three "Free Willy" movies, I like this one the best. A teen (Jason James Richter) befriends a whale (Keiko) and ends up getting a job working with Keiko. However, trouble arises when some criminals bust Keiko's tank trying to get rid of the whale. Jason and his friends must find a way to save Keiko by freeing him into the ocean.
"Free Willy" is an all around good movie. It'll keep you interested while you watch the movie and wonder how they're gonna get the job done. If you like good drama movies, I recommend getting "Free Willy." It's one of the best drama movies of the 90's. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. All three of the FW movies rock and I actually don't like trying to rank them compared to one another cause their level of greatness is so similar in my book. I love a great drama movie.
½ July 31, 2009
favourite movie apart from the never ending story as a kid
January 15, 2007
I was a soulless youth and had very little patience for dumbass animal movies. This was one of them. Flash forward to a slightly tipsy night in Tahoe, ten years later, and I find that my feelings about dumbass animal movies have not changed.

Lori Petty deserves some sort of award made out of plastic for having the worst Hollywood career trajectory ever. Tank Girl...Free Willy? The next logical step is Backdoor Sluts 9.
½ October 30, 2006
The most family entertainment about a friendship between a troubled boy and an endangered killer whale has a true dramatic edge. Strong character development and a staunch avoidance of clichés make this a treat for the entire family.
February 25, 2008
Interesting American childrens movie about a boy with courage and a Killer Whale with hope.
July 17, 2007
Classic. I was 8 when it came out, and I remember I used to watch it on a daily basis. A few months ago, I decided to watch it just because I haddnt in so many years, and I've got to say, im still liken it! heh. Worth watching, especially with kids.
July 13, 2007
Heart warming tale of how a boy wants to free a whale.
½ June 25, 2007
How can you not like this movie?
June 19, 2007
Great all round fun for the whole family.
May 21, 2007
This was a really sweet movie.
May 6, 2007