Freejack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freejack Reviews

July 11, 2011
Loosely adapted from the sci-fi novel 'Immortality, Inc.' back in 1959 but failing to match the original source and instead opting for a more cyber punk/neo distopian future mix which almost always tends to fail in films for some reason, accept for 'Blade Runner'.

A few films spring to mind like 'Johnny Mnemonic' and 'Lawnmower Man' when watching this as all are the same kind of future based flop, over the top with terrible effects, sets, costume and acting, all as if no one actually attempted to make the films appear realistic or coherent. 'Freejack' is slightly better than the others with a more stable plot and a half decent style and look but the casting was horrendously bad and ruined any chance of even the smallest kudos.

Estevez simply isn't a good actor and that's it, he can't play the action man and proves it here. Russo in my opinion is like a piece of wood and not much better looking whilst Jagger is in there as a gimmick to try and gain more interest simply because its Mick Jagger playing a villain, plus he looked ridiculous wearing that fighter pilot helmet thing. Hopkins is obviously there to try and gain some respect for the film and add a touch of sci-fi class but he can't save it and comes across rather flat.

Uninspiring.
September 6, 2010
I saw this a long time ago, I need to watch it again. I remember that Emilio Estevez and Mick Jagger were really cool in this movie, and it had an interesting futuristic story.
October 6, 2010
A pretty good time travelish movie. I liked the action and the fish out of water vibe we have with Estevez running around the future not knowing who to trust. It's fun.
July 26, 2007
This movie has interesting ideas. It's too cool seeing Mick Jagger as the chief baddy in a science fiction film. This wasn't an epic; it was a low-budget dumpy future portrayed. Good story though.
June 19, 2007
A weird but cool sci-fi action film, with a cool if strange cast. Worth checking out.
deano
March 15, 2007
Not a great sci-fi actioner where the race-car driver is saved from spectacular crash, only to be revived 18 years later so that a rich guy can transplant his mind into his body.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
i barely remember this one but i remember it being average at best
January 4, 2016
This is pretty much bargan basement 90's scifi. It's the type of movie that's almost immediately forgettable even as it happens. The problem is that everything's just so generic there's nothing that makes us want to stay in this world. The scenes near the end are pretty cool, I guess but by then its really too late.
August 8, 2015
This was a cool movie. Emilio is gold in every movie he's in though so it was no surprise. There are car chases, gun fights, a cool black guy with a jerry curl and a sword, and a young version of the cool old guy from Better Call Saul. Oh and as a bonus there's a river bum who tells you the secret to cooking river rat!
August 16, 2014
A thoroughly cheesy but still entertaining cyberpunk action film, Freejack plays more like a comedy now than it did in the early 90s, but it still manages to be a thoroughly engaging bit of B-level sci-fi. Plus, it is has Mick Jagger!!!
December 8, 2012
Thought this was a very good movie. Lot's of edge of your seat Adventure. Definitely one of my favorites.
February 15, 2013
I enjoyed this movie... good non-stop action from beginning to end. I could honestly say that Mick Jagger's "Vacendak" was superb.
October 28, 2012
Cheesy scifi... sweet. The actual ideas in this film are interesting and should be fleshed out morel and Mick Jagger should have been in more movies. It's weird to see a futuristic movies set in our past 2009.

2011 movies: 16
April 9, 2012
Cast Mick Jagger in your movie as anything other than background and its a guaranteed bomb.. thankfully after this mess that lesson was mostly learned. Time travel as a plot device is either golden or poison and the befuddled plot loses its way before it even begins.
½ December 5, 2011
In 1991's "Freejack", 2009 is a dystopian future where nearly all-powerful corporations rule a ruined environment and a wrecked economy. OK, they got that correct but then again so did the equally cheesy "Robocop". By 2009, humans have mastered the ability to control the space-time continuum to the extent they can draw people forward and replace their minds with another being held in electronic stasis. OK, we haven't really mastered those things yet but damn our telephones have gotten pretty cool. Against this shaky premise "Freejack" puts together a cast that includes the less lunatic of the Sheen brothers, the criminally underused David Johansen, the peerless Anthony Hopkins and, yes, in the Boba Fett role, Mick Jagger. And despite the compelling screen stars, it is Jagger who maintains the audience's eye despite the ridiculous headgear he wears in most scenes and the equally ludicrous haircut beneath. Jagger's charisma nearly carries the film but given that it consists of one extended car (or motorcycle or champagne truck or tricked-out golf car) chase after another after another eventually even his power to charm cannot keep the mind from drifting. During this drifting one wonders why a man with the foresight to run the world's most powerful corporation wouldn't have had a back-up plan to pluck some other body from the past if things didn't work out with the first particularly given that any screw-ups would have meant his death? Anyway, in short, people who like their sci-fi cheap and cheesy or anyone who wishes Mick Jagger and David Johansen had done more movie work will be all-jacked-up by this film.
November 9, 2011
mick jagger is in this, that alone is worth the price of admission, hes older then jesus, and rocks like a real god, not that the phony baloney one you all prey to that ignores you, and pretends you don't exist, and seriously why am i wasting my time on all you frozen retarded brain dead zombies, who aasbook and dicker online, you wouldn't know good if you smoke or snorted it, freejack your asshole dbags, clasic cool movie from 92, when they made real music, not like now
October 17, 2011
It's weird watch a movie where the character is brought into the future and that future is two years ago. Still no flying cars!
August 15, 2011
Oh my lord... boo. Emilio, you've never been cheesier. Yeah, you know when you're in trouble when Mick Jagger outacts you.
½ August 2, 2011
Another good Sci-Fi movie. An outstanding performance from Emilio Estevez and singer Mick Jagger. Typical type role for Anthony Hopkins.
½ June 3, 2010
I love si-fi movies and this one was one of my fav's of the time and i know it was a little week in the story but hey the action was great to me anyway:)