Frenzy Reviews

September 1, 2015
Snowballing into one suspenseful turn after another, "Frenzy" proves to be a late, but skillful effort from Alfred Hitchcock.
April 26, 2013
This. This is more like it. After the last few Hitchcock films left me wanting a little, FRENZY returns to the type of film that he did so well. The plot is one that he frequently used: an innocent man wrongly accused, but he didn't just rehash old material. He upped his game and brought his filmmaking style into a more modern sensibility, all while maintaining the suspense and black humor that had become his trademarks. While I've yet to see any of the films from his British period, I am aware that FRENZY hearkens back to his first real success, which was THE LODGER. And in terms of what I've actually seen, I noticed a lot of DNA from earlier efforts like SABOTEUR, REAR WINDOW, and PSYCHO. The film grabs you and sucks you in from the opening notes of its title sequence, a fanfare which triumphantly announces that he's back: back in his native England, and back in top form. And it wastes no time in thrusting you into this familiar, yet slightly changed world. One thing that benefits the film a lot is the screenplay by Anthony Shaffer, which is filled with great dialogue and biting wit. There was also a sinister, Victorian elegance to the score. And, as with all of his other films, there are a few sequences which stand out. The best of these is probably a long, continuous shot which pulls back from the scene of a crime as Hitchcock leaves it (and its aftermath) to the audience's imagination. Still, perhaps in concession to the changing times, this film does contain some nude scenes and somewhat more vicious-minded, if not particularly graphic, violence. It reminds us that the gory details are often best left to the imagination; they're the icing on the cake, and not the cake itself. Another audacious thing Hitchcock does is make the protagonist rather unlikeable and have us sympathize (at least in one protracted scene) with the villain. Overall, I thought that he was in top form here, adeptly mixing suspense and comedy, all while exploring his favorite themes of sex, death, and food. In regards to food, the Chief Inspector's wife has perhaps a couple of the funniest scenes in the whole film. For me, FRENZY was a welcome return to form after the last few misfires, and it's great that Hitch seems to be going out on top.
June 23, 2015
Viewed this on 23/6/15
This could be the very best film that Hitchcock has ever made or at least in par with Psycho(my favourite). Hitchcock uses never seen before elements into this film like nudity, uncensored violence and most of all real shooting locations and modern camera techniques making the visuals striking and more believable compared to his other close confined films like Rear Window. This film really requires nudity and it shows how good Hitchcock could have done had they allowed him to show the shower scene in Psycho the way he shot it. It's violence and Hitchcock's tread into much darker material is essential because it adds much psychological tension to the film. The score is also great. The most interesting storyline in the film is a comic relief story of the investigating officer and his wife. The story lets us guessing and tightening things even as the film goes to the very near. The performances are also spot on with Barry Foster giving an unforgettable performance and equally good is Alec McCowen who only comes into the latter half of the film. However, if I asked, I would say there's one small problem. The film shows women in a bad light in generally, they are all either nude and killed or they are beings that fail to understand the truth, like the secretary of Ms Blaney or the wife of Blaney's friend or like the investigator's wife.
½ April 28, 2012
Hitchcock returns to England for one of his most lived-in movies, gone are the well-to-do middle classes or landed gentry of many a past production to the working class world of his early movies (and his own roots). Instead we have a positively grimy London with a grisly killer on the loose, where the Hitchcock takes 'the wrong man' plot out for one last spin and takes it to the logical extreme of where it can go. On the way he peppers the proceedings with his trademark humour and there is a nice undercurrent that captures the antagonism of the time between the elder generation that grew up in his heyday of the 40's and 50's and the new 'debauched' generation of the 70's, although it's clear which side he favours. It remains amazing how much sympathy Hitchcock can elicit for such unlikeable characters, even his most repugnant villain at one point, although the protagonist is dislikeable almost to the point of losing all support.
½ March 28, 2015
One of Alfred the greats final films is a real sleazy treat for fans of his more exploitative side. Anyone wanting to know exactly why the likes of Dario Argento is often compared to old Hitch then this needs to be seen. What's best about this little gem is the fact that you can tell the old guy was having a bit of fun with it, he knows it isn't going to be his best or even close, so he fills this with nice touches of black humour, tonnes of bad language, and plenty of suspense. This is very much a middle of the pile addition, but the cast is good, it's very well structured, and it never allows itself to be taken seriously. Overall a good sit that is never boring to watch.
½ January 20, 2015
Sr Ross ud. no lleva corbata ...truculento y oscuro thriller , una de las ùltimas pelìculas de Hitch conservando su genialidad y llena de frases sarcà sticas como : hoy las mujeres abandonan su honor con mucha facilidad que su ropa.
January 12, 2015
Another classic from the Hitchcock library. Police are hunting the neck tie killer and think they have their man.......
January 1, 2015
I think the rating this movie has is far too high. To me it was a average movie and a bit stupid at times. The detectives wife for example is a complete retard. I think she is put in their for comic relief but she seems like a total simpleton and what husband wouldnt just tell his wife to stop cooking weird shit. Oh God that annoying. Actually mthe movie makes the Brits seem like a race of simpletons. Its like a caricature of the Brits. I thought it was a ok movie, nothing special.
November 19, 2014
The first Hitchcock movie to receive an "R" rating. I love Hitchcock so many others. My Top 5: 1. NORTH BY NORTHWEST 2. REAR WINDOW 3. DIAL "M" FOR MURDER 4. ROPE ...and 5. FRENZY. I enjoy FRENZY for several reasons, these are: Hitchcock shows daily life in the '70's taking place. The "daily life" aspect is one of my favorite features in many of Hitchcock's films. I was born in the '70's so it's interesting to me to see how people dressed and acted then, as well as, how people went about their day in the '70's. Through Hitchcock's films, one can look back and see everyday life occuring e.g. NORTH BY NORTHWEST, THE BIRDS.

Another reason is how dark this movie is compared to Hitchcock's other films. The restrictions on what could be shown in movies was starting to ease, so you get see Hitchcock show scenes/actions he previously was unable to film. In the movie, Hitchcock shows nudity, he shows rape, he shows violence ...these are elements that were previously only suggested and/or implied. But just like the implications worked in Hitchcock's earlier films, the "in your face" style works too because Hitchcock was an amazing director.

Still another reason, is Barry Foster (Robert Rusk a.k.a. Uncle Bob) is fantastic at playing a truly creepy guy. He's the dapper British gent with a scary twisted freaky side to him that's just makes you want to cringe. Jon Finch is also excellent as playing one of Hitchcock's favorite roles i.e. "the mistaken identity guy". It has become one of my favorite Hitchcock films, and one of my favorite suspenseful films. It's one of those films I can watch over and over. Plus, I'm happy we have a film by Hitchcock where he wasn't so resticted in what he could and couldn't show as in previous years. I gave it 4 stars and not 5 stars because I reserve that for the true masterpieces such as NORTH BY NORTHWEST and REAR WINDOW.
November 8, 2014
Easily the darkest of Hitch's films alongside his most graphic, but it is also among his best. Stunningly acted and toting an amazing script, Frenzy is a bleak, intelligent thriller that represents a high note not just for Hitch, but for the genre as a whole. A later period magnum opus if there ever was one.
½ November 2, 2014
Considered by critics to be the last great film of Alfred Hitchcock's career, Frenzy sounded like a great look at one of his final visions.

Being a low budget British crime thriller, Frenzy is largely a return to Alfred Hitchcock's roots. The entire film has a distinctively British feel to it due to its locations and its cast, and that evokes the memories of a lot of Alfred Hitchcock's earlier works. The entire film has the charm of a good piece of British cinema, with one of the most distinctive elements being the language of the script. The screenplay is intelligent partially because its story is unpredictable and full of all kinds of twists and turns as well as many strong characters. The film is built on firm material from the ground up, and Alfred Hitchcock gives it an edge and an atmosphere to it. Things in the film are tense in a clever fashion, in an original and unconventional manner which shows Alfred Hitchcock taking a different kind of perspective on his story which is admirable, so it is one of his more creative explorations of cinema from the end of his career. It is certainly a step up following two rather familiar and similar efforts on Torn Curtain and Topaz.
Frenzy is interesting because it takes a different angle to the usual thriller. Usually, films chronicling the hunt for a serial killer with the mystery being the prime driving force behind it all. Frenzy instead diverts cinematic conventions and takes an all new look at its story. It is interesting because the tale is partially a mystery and partially a game of cat and mouse. The story has audiences fully aware of its twists with many of its characters aware of none of them, making it a film with an intriguing narrative structure. This helps to elevate the film above some of its other story flaws such as the slow pace of the feature. Although I will admit that this takes its toll on the movie in the long term because it means that the focus is all over the place and there end up being a lot of characters to keep up with. The non-traditional plot structure of Frenzy makes it both a memorable film and a somewhat confusing one. The general premise of the story is strong with the dynamics surrounding protagonist Richard Ian "Dick" Blaney and serial killer Robert Rusk being interesting, but there are many things standing in the way of it. As there is no mystery in the film, a lot of the plot elements relating to characters trying to figure out the identity of the serial killer really just prove to drag on. The mystery is absent in Frenzy in favour of a different form of intensity which is built on the progressing discovery of the Robert Rusk at the hands of Richard Ian "Dick" Blaney. Frenzy is all about the game of crime and it does so with an atmosphere which is tense but also makes it all seem natural without much forced dramatization, so it is an interesting feature as a whole, for better and for worse
Visaully, Frenzy adheres to a lot of Alfred Hitchcock's signature abilities as a filmmaker. It takes its low budget far and has a lot of powerful scenery and strong production design with no German Expressionism this time around. This makes the story feel very genuine and gives it a strong edge. Everything in the film is captured with firm, atmospheric cinematography which makes the tense mood of the experience very clear. Frenzy is packed with strong imagery which gives it a strong sense of legitimacy and makes it an intriguing experience, even if its style is sometimes superior to the quality of its story. It is a case of style over substance perhaps, but as Alfred Hitchcock is a master of intelligent filmmaking, he is able to give Frenzy an effective and memorable style to it.
And the cast in Frenzy do their part to ensure that the tale succeeds on a human level.
Jon Finch makes a fine lead in Frenzy. Caught up in all the confusion of the murder case, Richard Ian "Dick" Blaney has to incur a lot of unpredictable stressful situations in the plot dynamics. And Jon Finch succeeds at consistently keeping his emotions on par as the tale progresses through its gritty territory. He remains firm constantly throughout and interacts with the surrounding cast members with a strong sense of emotion without going melodramatic. He plays the role of Richard Ian "Dick" Blaney essentially as the everyman that he is which makes him an easily sympathetic figure, so he is a natural talent in the lead role.
But it is Barry Foster who stands out from the cast. Barry Foster does a good job as Robert "Bob" Rusk. In his part, he captures an interesting level of insanity. He hides it very nicely in a manner where he largely plays out the part with multiple personalities. He does it well because he establishes a character that is intense and unpredictable at during some moments of the film and so easily casual in others. The balance he puts into the part is grand and he does it so organically that he fits the profile of the serial killer antagonist easily. Barry Foster's performance in Frenzy is one of the finer aspects of the film, and his efforts make the feature a memorable one.
Alec McCowen puts a sense of determination into his role as Chief Inspector Oxford and he delivers his lines with a sense of wisdom to it and a real dedication to the script. Anna Massey also does her part in a matter of a few scenes.

So Alfred Hitchcock's "last great film" Frenzy is one with scattered focus, a slow pace and an abundance of subplots and extra characters. But it is a stylish film with an interesting plot structure, constant atmosphere and creative visual style to it.
½ September 22, 2014
Departing from any sort of decency in creating true tension and dread, Hitchcock takes advantage of the relaxed sensor codes and delivers nudity and sex like never before in his work. The movie as a plot of suspicion, murder, wrongful accusations, and creepy fear goes, is memorable. But the 70s were the start of a degradation of content in the way emotion was gift wrapped for the audience. Hitchcock, especially Hitchcock, never had to rely on R-rated graphic material to get across his message so it's very much unneeded here. Plus, this film doesn't say much that better innocent man thrillers have said in passing. Hitchcock's Marnie was for me a more complete and disturbing picture of evil with hope able to shine. Frenzy is just how it sounds. It is chaos, disgusting chaos internally and externally without a true purpose other than to string us along for the ride. I hold Hitch up to the highest standards of terrifying and enriching us at the same time and here he falls short of the mark. That being said, it is still very effective and probably will deliver some nightmarish imagery to hold onto despite your best efforts.
½ March 25, 2014
After the mixed bag of "Marnie" and the two mediocre Cold War thrillers, Alfred Hitchcock returns to form and directs a film that proved that even in his old age (his 70s), he was still the Master of Suspense in the 1970s. "Frenzy" marks Hitchcock's final return to filmmaking in his native country, and it is a fantastic thriller. A serial killer is on the loose in London, raping woman, strangling them with his necktie and then ditching their nude bodies. A Regular Joe gets accused of the crime after his ex-wife, and then his current girlfriend, is murdered by the killer (who as it turns out is the accused man's friend). It is a fine thriller with suspense throughout and a nice touch of that classic Hitchcock humor that make his films so memorable. It is also one of the most gruesome and explicit films that great director ever made. After years of insinuation, he decides to play along with the times and shows explicit violence and nudity, it makes the subject matter all the more shocking and frightening. Also, unlike "Marnie", the creep who rapes a woman isn't our hero, which is much more acceptable for me. "Frenzy" is an excellent movie, and I really got a kick out of it.
August 19, 2011
Hitchcock returns to the UK here with a man wrongfully accused as the 'Necktie Killer'; this after losing his job, missing a longshot horse and having to sleep at the Salvation Army--a very bad day. The Master shows he can still deliver into his 70s, with some effective humour on top of it all.
August 7, 2014
A partir da relação complicada que os homens sempre possuem com o sexo oposto - seja nos níveis domésticos, seja nos níveis psicopatas -, "Frenesi" constrói um romance policial britânico bastante envolvente, divertido e até mesmo provocador em sua narrativa, haja vista as brincadeiras feitas com as percepções, princípios e preconceitos dos próprios expectadores.
Dispondo do grande senso de humor negro do mestre Hitchcock, o filme igualmente se beneficia da sofisticada direção do cineasta, o qual, no final de sua carreira, ainda compunha passagens absolutamente irrequietas e poderosas - ora por sua explícita violência (como a cena do estrangulamento), ora por seu absoluto silêncio e tensão (ênfase para a grande tomada que se distancia progressivamente dos aposentos do assassino). Destaque, por fim, às finíssimas atuações de todo o elenco.
Em suma, talvez não seja o ápice da filmografia de Hitchcock, mas é sem dúvidas um suspense policial de muita classe.
½ July 10, 2014
In his next-to-last film Hitchcock returned to his roots, enlisting Anthony Shaffer to adapt Arthur La Bern's novel Goodbye Piccadilly, Farewell Leicester Square into a screenplay, and cast actors unknown outside of Britain. The result of this experiment was easily his best film in years, one that still has yet to fully receive its due place in the Hitchcock filmography. Jon Finch is Richard Blaney, a wholly unsympathetic loser with a violent temper. When his ex-wife and current girlfriend are raped and strangled to death he becomes suspect number one in the recent spate of so-called Necktie Murders. In reality the murderer is Blaney's supposed friend, the slimy Bob Rusk (Barry Foster). Blaney is more interested in eluding authorities than in solving the mystery of the killings, and he seems more outraged at having been accused than saddened at having lost two women whom he allegedly cares for. In using these lesser-known actors Hitchcock found it easier to present us with a world in which no one is terribly sympathetic. The humor is jet-black and the violence is, for Hitchcock, quite strong, but where some reviewers lament this fact, for Hitchcock, who'd often complained of the strictures imposed by censorship, the more relaxed attitude toward the content of films was surely liberating. Frenzy may be the one film in which Hitchcock was able to do absolutely everything he wanted. While not quite at the top, it is a worthy companion to his greatest films (Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious, etc).
June 17, 2014
It's so interesting to think that this is Hitchcock's first ever R-rated film he has ever directed.

Before the film was released, film ratings were officially introduced, leaving Hitchcock responsible for an R-rated film instead of one that was just "Approved" for audiences. This allowed Hitchcock to introduce nudity into his film, which he did.

"Frenzy" takes place in London and is about a 30-something year old man, Blaney, who is said to be the infamous Necktie Murder. But he is innocent and his friend, Rusk, is actually the sadistic killer.

This film is racy, intense and a good watch.

Definitely watch if you're a film buff and enjoy Hitchcock films. You'll love to watch as to how Hitchcock got to make his first R-rated film.

Frenzy, I give you an 80%.
May 22, 2014
Another great film from the remarkably twisted mind of Mr. Hitchcock: the scenes with Mrs. Blaney and Rusk are absolutely was fun to see a British film, after many American pictures by Hitchcock. There is a certain, dry humor to Great Britain that is not as potent in the U.S, and it really comes out in this film. Very disturbing...and infuriating. Hitchcock shows, yet again, that psychopathy andd sociopathy are difficult to discern and can manifest themselves in the most unusual ways (see: head detective's wife...possibly the most misaligned person in the film)
May 8, 2014
This film is disappointing. The director Alfred Hitchcock has made a lot better movies than this one. Someone of the dialogue is dated and the characters are not very interesting. There are some suspenseful scenes but not enough to recommend this film.
May 8, 2014
"Frenzy" is considered by critics to be Hitchcock's last great film before his death. Here he delivers a film quite typical of his work-suspenseful, chilling, and often quite funny in a blackly humorous way. Every member of the all-British cast is extremely good, particularly Barbara Leigh-Hunt.