Frida Reviews

½ August 1, 2015
When it comes to artists, most countries have a couple of them that managed to earn a place in the history of art. Spain has Salvador Dali and Picasso, Italy has most of the Renaissance artists, Netherland has Vincent Van Gogh, Norway has Edvard Munch and Mexico has Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.
We follow the life of a prettier version of Frida Kahlo, from her teen years to her final days.
As a Mexican I have to admit that while I don't generally like Kahlo´s work as the majority of it is monotonous self-portraits (but when she goes for surrealism she shines gorgeously), but I have always find her story fascinating and sad, so there was plenty of source material for a drama and this biopic takes advantage of most of her tragic life. "Frida" is well made biopic that offers some interesting visuals, most of the acting is extremely solid with the best being Salma Hayek in her best performance to date (although it isn't that impressive either) and always fun to watch Alfred Molina, it uses the Mexican environment wisely, Molina and Hayek had pretty good chemistry, the corridos of the soundtrack are actually quite enjoyable to my surprise, the screenplay is straightforward and narrates numerous moments of this tragic life (I am extremely glad that they didn't leave out her political agenda), and it has some actually funny segments. With all the good of the film being said, let's address the issues of this biopic. Julie Taymor´s direction is extremely unbalanced, at times it is generic and manages to subtlety mimic Kahlo´s paintings in certain shots but then it becomes pretentious and extremely heavy handed; it follows most of the "Mexican clichés" (which I already mention in my review of "The Book of Life"), the pacing is inconsistent as it starts with this rushed vibe but by the second half it slow things out, some important moments of Frida´s life are briefly explored while others are stretched needlessly, Hayek doesn't exactly looks like Kahlo (I get that they are trying to make her prettier-just because she has one eyebrow that doesn't make her as ugly- but that contradicts the whole message of the film), and I hate the fact that Spanish is the native language of most of the cast and the film is about a Mexican artist set in Mexico, so why they speak that dreadful "Spanglish"?
"Frida" is an uneven biopic that has its moments but also has its flaws. I appreciate the fact they told a lot of Kahlo´s story thus making it an educational experience, but it doesn't has a lot to offer.
June 15, 2015
Hayek's best performance with the equally steady Molina in the good bio-pick.
June 3, 2015
Frida is a beautifully entertaining ode to the beloved artist. The colors are magnificent and Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina are spectacular as the bickering but loving Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.
February 14, 2015
Salma Hayek is so bold and awesome!
½ February 9, 2015
It took me 14 years to watch this movie mainly because I am not a big fan of SH. Nonetheless, I have to agree this is a great production, with a great cast and wonderful music. I wonder how much more awesome it would have been in Spanish... it was hard for me as a native Spanish speaker to relate to the story in their fake thick accents speaking English... overall it think it was a good ride into the world of Mexican culture to the masses.
½ March 7, 2012
This movie is well done. It is a bit melodramatic but it happens.
January 26, 2015
Fascinating look at the life and work of Frida Kahlo, with wonderful performances by a great cast.
½ February 2, 2015
Frida is a really great movie that really made me learn about Frida Kahlo a lot. The movie is long, but it's enough to talk about her life. The visuals are really cool to look at, and Salma Hayek is really great which I'm glad that she got nominated for an Academy Award. The characters are memorable, especially Frida, and it's really surprising that Frida is ok with her husband's affairs, and it just seem like something that some guys would want to think of their wives. It stands out from other biopic painter movies, and it's very interesting to watch. The only problem I had is that they didn't seem to know what to do to put in Frida's sexuality and when it does, it just seem to come out of nowhere and is just more of an afterthought. Overall, Frida is quite an enjoyable treat to watch for fans of Frida Kahlo.
August 29, 2014
Insightful take on melancholic life of Frida Kahlo. Perfectly captured the zeitgeist of Mexico as well.
March 2, 2008
Intresseväckande, välspelad historialektion. Troligen Salma Hayeks bästa rollprestation nĺgonsin.
½ August 11, 2014
mexicans playing mexicans living in mexico but speaking english?
July 6, 2014
Na den narozenin Fridy Kahlo (6.6. 1907) jsem se mrknul na tento film. Musím ?íct, e m? její ivotní p?íb?h celkem dostal. Z obraz? Fridy jsem m?l dojem, e to byla n?jaká puritánská jeptika; ono asi ne. :-) Dob?e zahráno, skv?lé masky, skv?lá hudba.
June 10, 2014
Anchored by Hayek and Molina in standout performances, Kahlo is an intuiting film that manages to delve into the enthralling and idiosyncratic life of one of the most prominent and important modern female artist.
½ May 18, 2014
Red like passion, blood, freedom. Love her strength, will, ideals.
May 10, 2014
La película es apasionante, sobre lo mas importante en la vida de la artista
April 24, 2014
a beautifully done movie, from the cinematography to the music to the smart dialogue. it allowed you to see the world that Frida saw which was very transcending and beautifully done.
Salma Hayek never looked more beautiful, she disappeared in the character which is something I always admire when I watch a movie where I get to forget that I am watching a motion picture but a life being portrayed in front of me and some how I am a witness to it.
if one thing I would critic is that I wish that the dialogue was in Spanish.
½ April 6, 2014
This comes across as a Mexican housewife takes to painting. Yawn. If you don't have close contact with Mexican culture it might be entertaining, but living in Southern California the movie is a series of very trite stereotypes to me. Beware the rave reviews that come just because it's a Mexican-centric film and because of the stellar cast. I did not find it very entertaining.
February 26, 2012
Frida is not an easy movie to watch, it is long and sad. Frida's life is difficult, filled with unfaithful friends and tragic events. This film explains her iconoclastic art as well as her mental state. It is a wonderful period piece that shows the fight for communism in Mexico and America in the 20's and 30's. Diego Rivera's life is highlighted too! So much work has been put into making a movie of this stature. I highly recommend taking the time to learn about Frida Kahlo.
½ March 3, 2014
Frida is not exactly the most entertaining film, but it does a great job portraying not only the life of a great artist that was Frida Kahlo, but also portraying what mexican culture is like and how rich it is.