Frida

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Frida Reviews

May 6, 2013
A biografada é uma personagem fantástica, mas o filme é prejudicado pelos floreios visuais de Julie Taymor.
April 8, 2013
It took Salma Hayek over 7 years to find a director to take on this project and make a biopic of artist Frida, one of the most fascinating persons of 20th Century. Oscar nominee Salma is just great, she gave performance of career and brought to screen one great character....tough and stuborn but still emotional and just beautuful. But the bigest praise have to go to Julie Taymor and her visual style.....recreating Frida's art work into scenes and using all the visuals to express what words can not. Costumes, set, make-up are just gorgeous and burst in colors just like Frida used to. And of course, Taymor's life partner Elliot Goldenthal composed one of the most interesting soundracks in last 15 years.....
March 19, 2013
The elegance of Hayek in acting is spectacular plus the movie is so colorful that it added grace to the screenplay... A marvelous lesbian motion pic, all about love and love of painting...
March 15, 2013
A biopic on the life of eccentric artist Frida Kahlo. An impressive visual style which directly relates to the artist's works and an impressive cast cannot save this film from being messy and narratively unrewarding.
March 11, 2013
I'm probably not alone in saying that the relationship between Frida Kahlo and Leon Trotsky is more than a little creepy, that being said the film was a great portrayal of Mexico's famous artist Frida Kahlo and her tumultuous relationship with the famous muralist and communist Diego Riviera. I also really enjoyed the performances of Selma Hayek as Frida Kahlo, and Alfred Molina as Diego Riviera.
February 20, 2013
"Frida" é muito mais do que uma experiência apenas narrativa: estéticamente falando este é um filme maravilhoso de se assistir. A maquiagem vencedora do Óscar recria de maneira quase idêntica a Frida interpretada maravilhosamente pela Salma Hayek que ao longo do filme acaba se tornando mais Frida do que a pròpria Frida.
February 25, 2013
A stronjg emotional and beautiful movie about the artis Frida Kahlo and her life through pain and pleasuress. Selam Hyack's best preformance ever and well worth watching just for the colorfull and funny tradgic biography that is bouth inspirring as capturing.
February 9, 2013
When Julie Taymor gets her hands on a movie, it's pretty much guaranteed there will be some... interesting segues/vignettes in it and Frida is certainly no exception. In all honesty I felt like, while those moments were creative and imaginative, at the same time they were also a bit distracting from the story at large so I was glad that these cuts were minimal.
The relationship between Frida and Diego is most interesting to watch. I found myself wondering how these two could live this way-- and how they escaped without STDs. Additionally, I wondered how they pulled so many lovers. Physically, neither one of these people are particularly attractive. She has a unibrow and fuzzy armpits; he is rather overweight. Must've been something magnetic and irresistible in their respective personalities then. Not to mention they are talented artists.
That aside, there's some good acting here but it really wasn't what I expected as a sort of biopic. It just felt like something was missing that I can't quite put my finger on. But it's always intriguing to watch how artists live and how they became famous.
February 7, 2013
Awesome film, excellent actors, interesting storyline plus you get some "avant-gout" of the Mexican culture. The revolutionary climate makes the film all the more interesting thanks to the apparition of Trotsky which isn't the guy I thought he would be!
February 2, 2013
Actress Salma Hayek portrays the famed Mexican surrealist painter in a biopic that neither mythologizes nor decries the artist's accomplishments on or beyond the canvas.
January 23, 2013
Sensual, salacious and striking ... but yet, something was missing from the whole movie. Perhaps it was the difficulty liking Frida, particularly as her sex life was overly emphasized (especially the creepy scene with Trotsky).
January 18, 2013
Salma Hayek takes on the role of the fiercely intriguing Frida Kahlo.
January 14, 2013
Excellent movie! Salma was robbed of an Oscar!
Luna B.
December 25, 2012
too long, boring and disappointing.
December 31, 2012
Informative enough as it is a biography of an excellent painter who is daring to fight for what she wants. The graphics is nice and Salma Hayek's performance is overwhelming. But the approach is too dry to make me care, as I find the sentimental affair between Frida and Diego more like a tiring farce.
December 7, 2012
''At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can. ''

A biography of artist Frida Kahlo, who channeled the pain of a crippling injury and her tempestuous marriage into her work.

Salma Hayek: Frida Kahlo

Frida is quite simply a study of art, of music, of passion and the story of Frida Kahlo depicted upon film in the most beautiful ways imaginable. Granted too if you love Biopics then Frida you will love for it's detail , imagination and trueness and captured essence of life.

It also helps that the Director is Julie Taymor, a woman of vision that does the job of capturing this Artists life in a way that no man could muster.
Artful sequences of imagination merging her art with movement really helps the film drown in a quality of utmost beauty and significance. If you thought that was close to perfection, I haven't mentioned the passionate, sensual, vibrant melodies that course through the heart of Frida. Blending this woman's story with music, art and hope. The ups and downs of her accident, of her romantic encounters and turbulent yet loving marriage.

Salma Hayek as Frida dislpays an energy that really gives an accurate portrayal of this artistic woman. Giving a performance that borders on magical fiery believability. Her chemistry with Alfred Molina as Diego Rivera, is phenomenal as we see their loving, mad, passionate relationship come to life on screen.
Ashley Judd gives a good perfomance, as does brief roles for Antonio Banderas & Edward Norton popping up in the mix. Geoffrey Rush also deserves a mention as Leon Trotsky who plays a controversial idealist who has a bond later in the film with Frida.

Loved sequences featuring the Original King Kong, Frida's art and really reminded me of Malena, Amelie and Love me if you Dare in it's imaginative sequences that use clever visual effects to blend the story together. The acoustics and music I must mention again as being simply divine and Latin drenched passion.

Whether it be Frida's scary accident near the beginning, her fascination with art and her loving friendships and relationships.
Most of all I loved how this film Frida combined her Art Works with the same points of her life occurring on screen at interwoven intervals.

Frida is like it's subject and main woman a story of love and passion, that oozes with art and becomes larger than life in the process. Absolutely incredible, thus will be watching again soon, just to take in all that magic of Frida once again.
September 28, 2012
Interesting, but not great. Starts off very well, but after a while loses momentum and seems to drift. Considering the passion and spirit of the start, it might have been better to end the movie with Frida in middle age, rather than with her death.

Good performances by Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina in the lead roles. Hayek shines, and gives the movie its initial momentum. All-star supporting cast: Geoffrey Rush (as Leon Trotsky), Ashley Judd, Edward Norton (as Nelson Rockefeller), Antonio Banderas, Saffron Burrows.
August 30, 2012
Frida stars Salma Hayek as well Frida (Frida Kahlo), Frida is famous painter and you think you know the full story of Kahlo, but you don't. Now, I have to say this movie was a bit of a drag throughout most of it, actually all of it. But, Salma Hayek was really good! The reason I watched this movie is because my Spanish teacher was showing us pictures, and I told my friend "I have seen that woman before," and I remembered the poster of Frida (movie). So, I finally watched it. Final Consensus: Frida is an interesting biopic of an off topic sort of subject, powered by a performance so strong by Salma Hayek.
Robyn M.
August 22, 2012
Salma Hayek reincarnates Frida's every whim, and mannerism to perfection. Directed by Julie Taymor it was the talk of the Oscars an won for best Make-up and Best Musical score for 2002.
Frida is an oddball film, based on the true lifestory of surrealist Frida Kahlo a Spanish Painter. Who's notorious slue of Bi-curious lovers and Communist enthusiast (Husband) Diego Rivera claimed her way to Fame and just as quickly into turmoil.