Friday

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Friday Reviews

Lucas M

June 13, 2011
Friday become a much more superior than others stoner-buddy comedys, not just because have a simple, entertaining, terrible funny screenplay and an unforgettable acting by Chris Tucker. But also for present a surprising, tense and powerful drama. Fresh.
Spencer S

October 29, 2010
A comedy that centers on the lives of those in South Central Los Angeles, or even Compton, "Friday" was exceptionally new for when it was released, and saw characters that were funny and yet respectfully deep. Co-written by rapper and star of the film, Ice Cube, the film follows the lives of two grown men living at home, in the same neighborhood, and dealing with lives filled with strife, violence, and fly honies. Four years earlier Cube co-starred in the massively popular and dramatic film "Boyz N' the Hood", which took a look at the serious implications of living life as black men in a lower class neighborhood and surviving everyday events. "Friday" takes cues from that film, showing the characters as real as they come. His father is a dogcatcher who has a habit of going off on rants, his mother is a supportive but strict woman, his sister's weave keeps falling out, and his best friend is a lazy, pot smoking social reject who steals and deals drugs for an upper level dealer. Though laced with moments of obvious comedic intent such as Bernie Mac as a lascivious man who beds a married woman and then runs from her dwarf husband, and the neighborhood drug addict always asking to borrow actual devices from people's houses, everything feels so real. There is an actual message in the film, which is that gun violence doesn't make you a man, a real issue people found in Ice Cube's music and N.W.A.'s. Ice Cube is the main character, as Craig, but he simply plays the straight man to Chris Tucker as a pot head who is constantly lying to cover his own ass and making himself seem more important than he really is. Other great performances come from the incomparable John Witherspoon and Anna Maria Horsford as Craig's parents, Nia Long as the love interest, and a slew of character actors including Faizon Love, Tiny Lister, and Regina King. Funny for many reasons, Friday makes ill of its characters, but it's obvious that there is true love in the portrayals.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
As far as "hood" films (the post 1970s predecessor to blaxploitation) go, this is one of the better and more entertaining ones. It's a buddy comedy all the way, yet it tries to do a little more and at least comment on larger issues affecting urban neighborhoods. It's not as preachy and serious or meaningful as Boyz N The Hood, but it's at least happier and more fun.

This is really a hard film to dislike. It's hip, cool, and very funny. I used to joke that this film formed the basis of my knowledge of African American culture (or atr least a segment of it). I can't say that anymore, but still, this film has some big sentimental value for me that make it very endearing. I think I mostly like it because it's one of those slice of life movies that, despite taking place over the course of a day, really does a great job of fleshing out the world it sets up in a small amount of time.

The cast is really good, featuring lots of notable names and faces. Their performances are great too. It's too bad that Chris Tucker got clean and found Jesus not long after this, because his manic, loud schtick really sings here, and he's just a great foil for the chill, common sense dude played by Ice Cube. Both are likeable, and have great chemistry together. Supporting them in memorable roles are John Witherspoon as the toguh and wise old school dad and Tommy Lister as the archetypical thug bully.

This is a fun movie, and, even though it's more about entertainment, it's not a completely hollow laugh riot that is devoid of something more. Give this one a go, it's a real cult classic.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

May 5, 2011
A fun movie. Ice Cube and the rest are funny as hell. The jokes were funny, but I didn't laugh as much as I'd hoped. The plot was pointless, but aren't all stoner comedies. Overall a good movie, but comedy could've been better.
Eric A

August 5, 2011
Will never get old! A comedy classic in my eyes.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 18, 2011
Smokey: "I got mind control over Deebo. He be like "shut the fuck up." I be quiet. But when he leave, I be talking again." Friday is a fantastic comedy, but by the end you see it does have a message after all. This is the best African-American comedy ever made. The story is simple. Two friends spend a Friday getting high and talking on a front porch. The dialogue is hilarious and Chris Tucker gives a very funny performance as Smokey; almost nothing he says is unfunny. "No sugar? Damn. Y'all ain't never got two things that match. Either y'all got Kool-aid, no sugar. Peanut butter, no jelly. Ham, no burger. Daaamn." There's also a great cast of characters surrounding the main characters. The movie is extremely funny until the last 20 minutes; then it's still funny but it also has a lesson on violence in the ghetto. This is a great movie to watch if you liked Boyz N the Hood. Friday is going to end up being a classic comedy and will probably never be matched in the African-American comedy genre.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
probably the funniest urban comedy ever made. the franchise may have completely fell apart after this film, but there are so many hilarious scenes in this film. john witherspoon is underrated and underappreciated as a comedic actor.
Rachel F

September 11, 2010
Hilarious. Smokey is one of my favorite characters ever.
EightThirty .

August 28, 2007
03/05/2010

You don't have to be a "weed head" to enjoy this flick and get a kick out of it!

Its been a while since I seen this and man, its still good.

Its quite a good film with funny moments, cheesy characters and a few moral values to keep it interesting.

Its a Classic for me.
Conner R

March 27, 2010
Friday is a really cheesy and crude movie, but I think that was the intention all along. While you can't really fall in love with it, there's nothing too distasteful about it to make it a bad movie. It feels like a light hearted version of Boyz in the Hood, essentially chronicling a day in the life of the hood. Ice Cube was appropriately cast and Deebo is an amazing element to the movie.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
This is a great film, not just a stoner comedy.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
A modern classic and a nice change from all the serious gangster films of that time. It's also very funny!
kpn666
kpn666

June 24, 2006
F Gary Gray's major debut, the movie which set the bar for all black movies and is still on top. A comedy classic with no equal when it comes to the black world. (watch out for Gray as he makes a cameo in the convenience store as a store worker)

Cube and funnyman Chris Tucker team up with the likes of Bernie Mac, John Witherspoon and Tommy Lister and some serious babes to introduce you to a day in the life of Craig, dragged into some seriously hilarious and dangerous situations by his pal Smokey, going head to head with the neighbourhood bully and drug dealer, and he's got some serious stuff to do if he wants live to see Saturday and snag the hot girl down the street.

A classic black comedy right down to its South Central Roots, this is Gray's rare comedy achievement before he went into hardcore thrillers like The Negotiator and The Italian Job which we all love, but this is 5 stars due to the excellent performances and the fast and witty liners coming in from all sides.

A personal favourite, if you like black comedies andyou havnt seen this one or its sequels, you not knowing, you siimply not knowing what you missing.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

May 16, 2008
I normally don't really enjoy films like these, but this series is pretty damn funny. A breakthrough role for Tucker, which sucks since his acting is shit but oh well. He makes $25 million a picture and I make just above minimum wage. Figure that one out.
RCCLBC

March 3, 2008
So Good.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Smokey: I know you don't smoke weed, I know this; but I'm gonna get you high today, 'cause it's Friday; you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do.

A consistently funny movie, taking place in South Central LA. It plays a lot like a satire of South Central culture with the way it handles the situations of the neighborhood, but it is still a very funny comedy first. Ice Cube and Chris Tucker are great together, and have plenty of quotable lines throughout the movie.

Smokey: Older the berry, the sweeter the juice.
Craig Jones: Man, it's the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice.
Smokey: Yeah, well she blacker than a motherfucker too.

Craig Jones: We ain't got no sugar.
Smokey: No sugar? Damn. Y'all ain't never got two things that match. Either ya got Kool-aid, no sugar. Peanut butter, no jelly. Ham, no burger. Daaamn.

There is also a good layer of sweetness on the top of this movie, because it is about friendship, relationships, and how a person should handle himself in tough situations.

A very funny and good movie, with a good hip hop soundtrack as well.

Smokey: You just got knocked the FUCK out!
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

October 16, 2007
Only time Chris Tucker has been funny in a movie. The sequels do look quite crappy.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
Okay I suppose. I think the parts with his dad are the best.
Keysha H

August 31, 2007
Puff Puff but don't pass on this awesome debut by Chris Tucker. (That was corny..sorry)