• R, 1 hr. 27 min.

Friday the 13th Part 2 Reviews

3niR
3niR

August 7, 2010
There were some jumping moments in it (well the music was effective I must say). But I don't recommend anyone to watch this. You'll find yourself muttering crap, crap, crap, crap... all the way to the end.
Jason C

October 30, 2010
This was the first, in what turned out to be several, Friday the 13th sequels. The original idea was to attach the Friday the 13th moniker to a Horror movie every year, without the movies having any continuity to the original film. The "Halloween" franchise actually practiced this idea, when they released, "Halloween III: Season of the Witch". The 1983 release entirely distanced itself from the main antagonist of the series, Michael Myers. It also went on to bore audiences to tears, on it's way to bombing at the box office. Five years later Michael Myers returned. Wisely, Paramount prevented the folly of straying from an established brand, and insisted that Jason Voorhees take over as the villain in the series, and millions of dollars later, the rest is history.

Stylistically, the film is nearly identical to the original. The direction of the film borrows heavily from the Italian slasher films that came before it. In this case, borrowed heavily is a gross understatement. Steve Miner, the film's director, went on to lift scenes directly from Mario Bava's, "Twitch of the Death Nerve". The most notable example is when Jason drives a spear through a pair of lovers. The scene is a shot-for-shot ripoff of the one that originated in the Bava film a decade earlier.

Plagiarism aside, there are plenty of other things in the movie that annoy me. The body count rises so it doesn't seem quite as slow as it's predecessor. Still, it's downright brutal watching the counselors, literally killing time, in between meaningful scenes. In "Friday the 13th: Part 2", we get to see counselors playing chess, arm wrestling, and screwing around with vintage handheld video games. All the while, engaging in tediously forced dialogue.

The plot holes that became a staple of the franchise are also very evident here. What's always bothered me, is how Jason ended up discovering the "Alice" character from the previous movie. I don't understand, did he just look her up in the phone book, or what? Well, he must have, because she received a creepy phone call, just minutes before her life was ended with an ice-pick. But that would have meant that Jason called her from within her own house, right? Or, maybe she had another deranged stalker. You'd think she would have explored some witness protection options. I don't know why I'm trying to apply logic here.

Speaking of Jason, he was far from perfected at this point. Watching the character run is awkward. While watching him struggle to overtake the "Paul" character in a wrestling match is shameful. Aside from that, when Jason's on camera, he is no more intimidating than any other inebriated imbecile with a pair of overalls and a bag over his head.

In case you haven't already figured it out, I'm not a very big fan of this chapter. I suppose it's taken on some sort of cult following, but that doesn't mean it's good. If you're set on watching all of the "Friday's", I suppose this is a necessity. If you just want to see a good slasher film, might I suggest, "Twitch of the Death Nerve". The makers of this film sure must've enjoyed it.
Josh L

May 5, 2012
It's practically the exact same movie as the first one (including the obvious fake ending once again). It just feels repetitive after a while and the fact that they felt that doing 10 minutes of flashbacks and recap at the beginning was needed is just sad. It's like they think that they created a masterpiece or something... also, the movie just isn't scary whatsoever. It's not really a drop in quality from the first like Halloween and other franchises since it feels the same, but the quality in the first place wasn't that high to begin with. Talk about faint praise. Hopefully Jason finally gets his mask in the next one...
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
Compared to the first, Friday the 13th Part 2 is a much more well-made film and it almost seems like a remake in some ways. It also has some distinguishable visual flair, and that's saying a lot for a series that's looked down on justifiably for being so cheaply made. Thanks mostly goes to Steve Miner, who went on to direct the following sequel as well as previously helming The Prowler. The film also borrows heavily from Twitch of the Death Nerve; sometimes entire situations and murders lifted from that film. In particular, the double impalement of two young lovers with a spear, as well as the infamous machete to the face. This movie doesn't hold back on who gets it either; even old men and the disabled can get murdered in this one. Not only is the wheelchair-bound kid's murder my favorite kill of the entire series, but the film is also more concerned with character development than any other film in the series. They also try to get inside the psychology of Jason and the Legend of Camp Blood as told from Ginny's perspective, which is pretty much thrown away in the sequels. Jason became merely a superhuman (and later a zombie) killing machine without the need to explore or develop further anything characteristic of a human being. I actually prefer Part 2 over the first one for all of these reasons and it's my favorite film in the series outside of Part 6.
Drew S

January 22, 2007
Better than the first one, for what it's worth. Amy Steel is an excellent final girl - great here, great in April Fool's Day, it's confounding that she didn't find considerable success as a scream queen. Ginny is the most compelling character to come out of either of the first two movies, likeable because she's educated and sensible, which are two qualities in short supply around Camp Crystal Lake. She's also anomalous, however, because she's sexual and sardonic, much more edgy than other final girls of the time. She would beat up Nancy Thompson and steal her lunch money. Friday the 13th Part 2 isn't always sure what to do with her, as when the movie isn't killing hapless teenagers, it's forcing her to run through the woods ad nauseam. Honestly, this movie is almost dreamlike, primarily through its sense of repetition but also because you're never really sure what Jason is capable of. I'm sure the film just stumbled into this aesthetic, as there doesn't really seem to be much more thought in any other aspect of its creation, but it's still a step up from the threatening near-ugliness of the first Friday the 13th. Decently paced, well acted and moderately scary, this is a strong entry in the series and a worthy slasher.
Spencer S

August 8, 2010
I'm aware that many 80's movies are awful. Not all of them (Aliens, Poltergeist) but a lot of them. When I realized I'd have to see part two of the first horrendous film just to see the franchise's killer, it became an arduous task. With very little link to the original except a strange and haphazard dream sequence at the beginning, and the crappiest acting I've ever seen, I was rooting for Jason myself. The only redeeming quality seemed to be a vicious old man who warned them before they even get to the camp counselor training center. Wow, how could they not know? I still give mad credit to that slow-mo ending.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
although i havent revisited this series in years, i remember this being my favorite of the series. i need to revisit these soon.
Coxxie M

March 21, 2009
another horrible piece of shit for people who like for their horror films to tackle such tender, controversial subjects as fucking in cabins, nerdy virgins, stupid kids who hitch rides with people who keep a machete in the back of their van, skinny dipping, smoking pot and then looking not high afterwards, fucking in the woods, ect.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A poor sequel to a good horror movie, in this one Jason goes around killing people (like usual), and that's it. Boring, and a bad cast too.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Jason walking around in overalls and a sack is questionable until the last five minutes when we see the awesomely deformed face of his. It's not as great or as fun as the original, but it does have some amazing death scenes. It still holds some of the essential elements as the previous, but it has a hard time finding Jason's true psychosis. His shrine to his mother definitely sets his murder spree into motion, but you don't get the personality seen in future films. The wheelchair-bound death is one of my favorites, along with the lover's spear.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 18, 2010
"I told the others, they didn't believe me. You're all doomed. You're all doomed."

Mrs. Voorhees is dead, and Camp Crystal Lake is shut down, but a camp next to the imfamous place is stalked by an unknown assailant. Is it Mrs. Voorhee's son Jason who didn't drown in the lake some 30 years before?

REVIEW
Sporting a one eye hole sack like the killer from "The Town that Dreaded Sunset", Jason Voorhees (Warrington Gillette) is on the rampage, knocking off anyone who gets within arms reach at a nearby neighbor camp. Will sweet, innocent, blond haired, blue eyed little Ginny (Amy Steel), be able to utilize her psyche class know how to defeat this hulking mass murderer? It should be noted that while Jason doesn't really have a voice in this film, he does grunt when he falls down or gets hit with something (Ginny actually kicks him in the crotch!) since he's still in his quote un quote "human phase" here.

Also worth noting is that you don't have to have sex to get killed in these movies; all you have to do is think about sex and you'll get an axe where the sun don't shine. The usual doses of sex, drugs, rock 'n roll and violence are alive and well in this second entry, which also marks the first official "skinny dipping" scene of the Friday the 13th series, and what a beautiful, well built woman they chose for it...Moderately interesting climax has Ginny strapping on Mrs. Voorhees' sweater and trying to impersonate her so as to confuse Jason.

"Jason, mother is very proud of you..."
creepfreak
creepfreak

January 17, 2008
More violent than the original, and still manages to be creepy. Great introduction for Jason Voorhees. But of course, it's not as good as the first.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 8, 2010
Superior sequel to an already superior film. Friday The 13th Part 2 delivers to jolts of horror. After Alice killed Mrs. Voorhees, Jason, Mrs Voorhees beloved son seeks revenge and murders Alice. After he avenges his loving mom, he goes back to Crystal Lake and starts hacking his way through a new group of counselors training near by at a new training camp near by. The film is one of my favorites in the franchise and I personally think it's one of the best in the series. Steve Miner helms this film with flair, and he's a very talented Horror director. He knows how to thrill an audience, this film more than lives up to the original. I think that this film is almost flawless in the way everything was put together. It's a truly unique and creepy film to watch.
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
A good sequel, the first time we start to see the real Jason. It?s got its moments and killing off Alice was a nice touch I thought.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
"Friday the 13th Part 2" is a great sequel to the original movie of my favorite horror movie series of all time. This time, it's Jason Voorhees that goes on a killing spree at the nearby lake. Some new counselors are told about the legend of Jason, but they don't let it get in their way of having a good time.
In many ways, this movie is better than the original movie was. It has more killing in it and it's a lot closer to being scary. The classic background chant of Jason along with his surprise appearances will keep you watching this movie without losing your interest. The special effects are also good, especially in the part when one of the girls finds Jason's mom's head and uses it to make Jason believe that it's his mom talking to him.

If you like good horror movies that don't ever get boring, I recommend getting "Friday the 13th Part 2." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Classic slasher series that shares my name
Aaron N

October 13, 2006
Crazy Ralph: [to Jeff and Sandra] I told the others, they didn't believe me. You're all doomed. You're all doomed!

With the release of the remake, I happened to catch this one and decided to go with it. suffice it to say, it sucks. It sucked when I saw it before, and it still sucks now.

Made to cash in on the first, the movie actually defies the first, even though it created the iconic villain here, pre-hockey mask.

And the kills aren't even better than the first. Lame.

Ginny Field: [to Paul] There is someone in this room.
Chris G

March 13, 2008
This is where it all truly began. Sequels, that is. Friday the 13th Part 2 takes us back to Camp Crystal Lake and ushers in not only a new killer, but also a new way of making movies: making the same movie over and over again. Another group of teens are slaughtered at Camp Crystal Lake by a mysterious killer (this time it's actually Jason).

This film is so much of a knock off of the original that the TRAILER is a sequel to the original trailer. It's the same motif, but comparing it to other slashers of the era it's actually a solid film. What's funny is that this film pushed the production of Halloween II, so if Halloween encouraged Friday the 13th then Friday the 13th Part 2 encouraged endless sequels. And where would the '80's be without those?
Luke B

January 20, 2009
Jason finally takes center stage in a rough form. No hockey mask, not an unstoppable zombie and almost as dumb as his victims. In many ways he is more interesting here. He gets hurt AND makes mistakes. His weight and a rickety old chair preventing him from making a kill. There's a couple of interesting moments, such as a girl wetting herself. Sounds weird but I'm not sure I've actually seen that before and it certainly makes sense in a horror film. Some stuff is left hanging, presumably for a sequel and it is mostly a remake of the first. Again it's the simple nature of the film that will win over horror fans. Especially those who want to see Jason's 1st main interpretation without his Hollywood glitz and glam.
Screeny
Screeny

January 11, 2009
FINALLY...JASON is introduced to the series but he doesnt even have the hockey mask look. The movie sucks on many levels. Its the exact same thing as part one only a different killer.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

July 1, 2007
Picking up right where first movie left off, part two opens with the counselor who survived the rampage of Mrs. Voorhees - only to find herself the very first victim of her grown-up son Jason. Flash forward five years and there are a new batch of counselors setting up camp on Crystal Lake. Jason, looking very creepily in this film like a real person instead of a zombie, dispatches of his victims in a variety of creative methods and at a nice steady pace. Instead of his trademark hockey mask, Jason is wearing a burlap bag tied around his head with a hole cut over one eye. He looks scarier and more realistic in this film.

Amy Steel gives a great performance as "the final girl" in one of the longest and scariest chase scenes of all the Fridays. Part Two has a good combination of edge-of-your-seat suspense and jump-out-of-your-seat shocks. The only part of this film that really cheeses out is when our heroine pretends to be Jason's mother (and Jason believes it), but this is a small price to pay for the excellent scares and surprises that abound in "Friday the 13th Part 2".

Because of all the commotion caused by the release of "Friday the 13th", the ratings board was extra-tough on part 2l and most of the gory scenes were either trimmed or removed all together. Paramount should really release this film with all of the scenes that had to be cut intact, considering how they made a nice profit off of these movies.