17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Friday the 13th Part 3 Reviews

Josh L

May 6, 2012
I liked it about the same as the first and a little more than the second. I was getting sick of the first person viewpoint of the killers and it was nice to actually see what Jason was doing for once. He FINALLY gets his mask in this one too (that's when the perspective changes). This was probably the most entertaining one so far, but the formula is getting old. There was no difference in story or setting yet and it's just getting boring. Still get the fake ending (and it's STILL the same thing, I don't understand why they keep doing it other than to joke with the audience) and the stupid 10 minute recap/flashback at the beginning of the movie so that we know the story continues...even though there is a PART III IN THE TITLE.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 23, 2007
The sequels to Friday the 13th always have their pros and cons, mostly cons from critics and a mixed bag of both from fans. Some are better than others while some are just not that great. Friday the 13th Part 3 is, to me, one of the very least of the sequels while still having some decent moments. This time around, we're treated to some characters who we don't give a hoot about and are cheering on their eventual demise, which is a gimmick that would flourish throughout the rest of the series. The cast is ok, although some of the actors don't play off of horror very well while others don't seem to know what the hell is going on. Dana Kimmel is ridiculously annoying most of the time while Larry Zerner winds up being one of the most three dimensional characters of the series (in a film that was shot in 3-D, no less). Richard Brooker, who plays Jason, still plays him as human, but more of a superhuman. He can take about as much as he dishes out, even being hanged at one point only to survive. This was the start of the loss of humanity in the character, something that disappeared entirely in the following sequels, and this jarring change of character is very much felt and one of the reasons why this one doesn't work for me. The lack of visuals this time around is no real fault of the filmmakers, including the director of the previous entry Steve Miner, who had to shoot everything in 3-D, leaving the 2-D look of the film out in the cold. I personally prefer to watch the film in 2-D, mainly because the 3-D is so difficult to sit through that it gives me headaches. I suppose if I had saw it on the big screen, I'm sure it would have been properly aligned and worked much better, but at home on TV, it just looks terrible. The special effects are about average for the series with nothing that really stands out. The only death sequences in the film really worth mentioning would be Andy's split in half and Debbie's machete through the chest from underneath. The music here is about the same as previous scores, although the new opening and closing theme is funky and catchy. And that's pretty much it. It's a weak sequel that would be turned around a bit in the next film, but Part 3 is suffers mostly from a plethora of 3-D gimmicks that don't work in 2-D, as well as having weaker characters, story and death sequences.
Jason C

October 4, 2011
This movie was made to cash in on the popularity of the franchise and the 3-D market. Needless to say, with those lofty aspirations, this film accomplishes very little creatively. Continuity is a massive flaw in this series, but it's absence is most insulting in this volume. The back story the writers attempt to interject for Jason, is as unnecessary as it is ridiculous. The most notable example is his implied moonlighting as a rapist. Really? Speaking of Jason, the model of an unstoppable, zombie, killing-machine was far from perfected at this point. His stalking is more comparable to the lumbering of a drunk, retarded hillbilly in "Part-3". The real reason to watch "Friday the 13th" is for the murders, but the makers of this film were too busy attempting to cram crude 3-D effects down the viewer's throat to worry about quality. You might want to avoid this one.
AJ V

March 2, 2011
Just like the other Friday the 13th movies, I found it more funny than scary actually, I spent the whole time laughing at the stuff that was supposed to be in 3D. So bad, it's funny.
Coxxie M

March 21, 2009
One day some teenager is going to cut off Jason's head and then go "oh yea, i guess hes totally, no-question, like dead. cause hes all like, without a head and all... makes it hard for him to kill people now.. ok then, i guess we can head back to camp."
3niR
3niR

November 23, 2010
Oh look, Jason finally got a classy mask to hide his beautiful *cough* face.
This was worst comparing to the first two. Story, acting and everything was just crap. Rick's death was the most hideous and ridiculous that made me laughed. I was like yeah right. Actually this was nothing new. This movie just repeated itself. Copied from first and second from here and there.
Sometimes, I like to enjoy movies like this because their stupid horror flicks is much entertaining than today's spoof movies. It just shines my day.
Conner R

November 21, 2009
This is not a great movie by any stretch, but it gave Jason his mask & machete so it's sort've essential. The 3D effects are utterly mind-boggling, none of them are anywhere near scary. Most of the time it's just a broomstick or finger popping out. However, that's what made this movie fun; as well as the overly campy story and acting. The hefty teenager is one of my favorite morons from the series, he's practically asking to get his throat slit. The handstand death is truly a classic, as is the harpoon eye shot.
creepfreak
creepfreak

January 17, 2008
Gorier than it's previous entries, but somewhat silly. I didn't like it's characters. They were goofy (especially the biker gang). It's still a fun and bloody film, just not the best.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 8, 2010
As the third instalment unfolds, Jason Voorhees finally finds his identity and adorns the now famous hockey mask. Jason was left for dead at the end of the second film. He murders a couple who owns a store and gets new cloths. He then hides in a barn on a property where teens are staying for the summer. This film has everything that makes a Friday film so special. Whats most memorable is of course, Jason acquiring the now famous mask. The film is helmed again by Steve Miner who directed the second film. Much of the third film relies on effective creepy moments to built tension. Of all the films in the franchise, I think that this is the one provides the moist suspense (as far as the sequels are concerned) Yet another good film, if you love Jason, you'll love this film
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
It?s poorly acted, has a rubbish story and is very confusing towards the end. It?s also pretty brilliant. It does suffer when watching it in 2D though as it was meant to be watched in 3D. It was 1982 and certain clichés can be forgiven due to its funny death scenes and hilarious 80's disco theme tune! A classic but by no means a great film! Definitely in , 'So bad its good' territory and possibly my favorite Friday 13th!
Jason O

August 15, 2009
The hockey mask is finally on!"Friday the 13th, Part 3" isn't much different than part 2, but it does introduce a new step in the series that wasn't in the first 2 movies. Jason Voorhees finally has the hockey mask, which he is best known for. Some new camp counselors stay at Camp Crystal Lake and think that they have it made, until Jason shows up as the mysterious killer who will kill anybody in site.
The best thing about "Friday the 13th, Part 3" was its new and better special effects. The plot is still pretty much the same, and the killings are just as exciting and well done as ever. This isn't the best movie in the series by far, but it is pretty good. I recommend anybody who likes the Friday the 13th series to get this movie. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000.
Chris G

March 13, 2008
Friday the 13th Part 3 is yet another installment in the teen slasher franchise that turned the name Jason into a franchise like McDonalds. This time you get two things out of it: a hockey mask and 3-D.

The plot is the same as the others: a group of teens go into the woods for the weekend only to get knocked off one by one by the mysterious mongoloid of New Jersey. What's funny about Part 3 is that it knows what it is and goes with it. Characters are introduced just to be led to slaughter and the name of the killer (Jason) is only mentioned during the flashback sequence in the beginning. It's a gimmick movie.

Friday the 13th Part 3 does hold a special place for me as it was my first Friday film and probably gets weighted a little heavier than the others. It contains poor acting and a recycled plot but it's still a good horror flick.
Luke B

January 20, 2009
Same again. This time Jason further develops by getting his hockey mask and showing signs of super human strength. It is also in 3-D but it soon gets tiring with EVERYTHING being shoved towards the camera. Everybody points while talking and every weapon has to belong and thin. It only feels like a Friday the 13th film when it copies the previous efforts. A Kevin Bacon and Ending homage. Perhaps it's because it isn't set on Friday the 13th (it starts off a day after the last one). Or maybe it's because nothing as far as Jason's myth or that of his mother is mentioned or expanded upon, other than he had a struggle with a girl 2 years ago. OOOOH Creepy. Pointless killings of pointless people and a hilarious and literally "eye popping" special effect make it a bit of fun.
Screeny
Screeny

January 11, 2009
The better one of the first three but the 3D does ruin it. The acting is worthless and once agian its the same esact thing!
thefog1331
thefog1331

June 6, 2007
Picking up minutes after the end of part 2, Jason continues to go his rampage of revenge. It's the weakest of the Jason trilogy simply because they relied too heavily on the 3D and nothing else. A few good kills but overall just meh. Best kill: The eye-popper.
Cassandra M

August 6, 2007
as one of the first horror movies i ever viewed(and the first friday movie i ever saw!!)it is still my favourite horror movie to date! although the friday movies have taken a battering over the years,being typcast as a typical slasher movie or an immataion of halloween,friday the 13th 3 is reccomended viewing for any horror fan(as are the first 4 movies in the friday series) it starts were part2 leaves off then enter some funky music(hot ice)and the 3-d images and you certainly dont think your watching a friday movie!until the movie starts!grainy and dark adds to the atmosphere as does the excellent sound track(along with the traditional ki-ki-ki-ma-ma-ma!)then the killing begins!!!this is the one were jason gets his hockey mask,this is the most intense friday and this has the best ending of a friday movie! i strongley recommend that if you have seen any of the friday series this ones a must!or if your just a horror fan in genral then check it out!put in the dvd,dim the lights,grab the pop-corn and join jason in the woods!!!
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

March 27, 2007
The sequel that completed Jason Voorhees' iconic look! It's not a bad entry into the saga, but not the best. It does drag at times during most of the film, and the fact that this sequel is probably the worst for featuring horrificly bad acting doesn't help. But things pick up once Jason puts on that Hockey Mask and some quite inventive kills are to follow. The last 20 minutes save the movie from being a complete disaster.
Lafe F

June 7, 2007
Jason in 3-D! Cheesy disco theme music with hand claps. I really liked the ranch setting, it was a nice change from the campgrounds of the previous two entries. Once Jason got his hockey mask, the movie became perfect. The assortment of characters and deaths was very interesting. The end chase and battle is probably the best in the entire Friday the 13th series. Great movie.
Dean !

March 27, 2007
One of the weaker films in the series, very tame and gets a bit silly at times.