Friday the 13th Reviews

October 30, 2010
It's easy to understand why someone would want to remake classic horror films, especially the slasher variety. From a studio standpoint, it's a financial goldmine. All you need is a director, a low budget, and the star power of Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krueger, release it at the right time of year, and wait for the revenue to roll in.

Artistically, although most of the movies can be defended if a nostalgic connection exists, the truth is, a lot of them haven't aged all that well. Many of them weren't that good to begin with. Once you divorce yourself from the aforementioned nostalgia, this accurately summarizes the entire Friday the 13th franchise.

I was lucky enough to discover Friday the 13th as a youngster. So, there are times when I can go back and relive the ridiculous chapters from the 80's. This can be a real chore though. I still enjoy the premise and the Jason Voorhees character, so I more than welcomed an attempt to rejuvenate the franchise.

The maker's of the film didn't stray very far from the original formula. What unfolds is what you'd expect. Teenagers show up at Camp Crystal Lake to party, they encounter Jason, and they pay dearly for doing so. What you get is not a reimagining, but a contemporary version of fossilized pictures, that have lost the majority of their relevance.

What transpires actually borrows some coherent events from the first 4 chapters of the original series. So, it isn't just a remake of the original Friday the 13th. Which is a positive, because I have no desire to witness Pamela Voorhees in the slasher role. Let's be honest, one of the only reasons to watch, is to see Jason in action.

Speaking of Jason, one of the reboot's undisputed successes is their portrayal of this iconic character. What's presented here, is the quintessential version of Jason. This rendition is a fast,menacing giant with noticeable cunning and a pronounced mean streak. The writers wisely chose to avoid much backstory, which eliminated the undesirable effect of having the character come off as sympathetic. One of the better scenes in the film focuses on Jason sharpening a machete. During the task, Jason flashes back to his mother's decapitation. The thoughts launch the character into a violent tantrum. Witnessing the fit of rage, is not only unprecedented, but made Jason actually seem demented, as opposed to a nondescript zombie. It was a nice touch.

As expected, the film has its fair share of problems, but these are evident in all of the movies. First of all, it's very easy to feel apathetic toward the characters. To me, the film would be more exciting if I was actually invested in somebody's survival. As opposed to hoping that the characters are exterminated as soon as possible. It also wouldn't hurt to scale back the ridiculous antics of the teenagers. The "good times" are normally awkward celebrations that only serve to lighten the tension necessary to actually make the movie scary.

It is easy to dwell on the film's faults, and it should at least be considered a missed opportunity. If you hated these movies before, or you were hoping for a radical new direction, you'll want to run like hell from this too. On the other hand, if your expectations are to witness a good Friday the 13th movie, you shouldn't consider 2009's rendition that disappointing. These days, I'm probably more willing to sit down to this version than any of its predecessors.
February 19, 2009
Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes takes another household name in the horror genre and desecrates it with a useless, unscary, boring, overproduced, and incompetently written joke of a movie. This is the kind of film that really gives horror a bad rep, providing further proof that the only worthwhile horror movies are the ones made independent of the studio system.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 18, 2010
The remake of Friday the 13th is your typical remake. With nothing new to offer the genre, the film is predictable and poorly acted. I really don't know why they remake classic horror films. This film fails to really deliver an interesting twist on the lore of Friday the 13th and bring some refreshing ideas to the series. If you're looking for a great remake with this one, you won't find it here. The cast are horrible, and you really don't care when they finally get killed off. I really hated the film, and diehard Friday fans will most likely be disappointed with this reimagining of the classic film. I definitely was. This film is just uninspired and proves once again that you can't remake the classics. Friday the 13th is a legendary Slasher, and it spawned many imitators. With this remake, the filmmakers wanted to update elements for today's audiences, but it never is interesting. The body count in the film is too low; the film is boring and takes a while before it takes off. Marcus Nispel who previously helmed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake directs and crafts a film that is not worth seeing. Stick with the original movies; you'll be glad you did. This one ends up falling flat and it just ends up not giving fans what they want. With too much many elements missing from the formula, Friday the 13th 2009 is a bad Slasher that tries way too hard at making something watchable, and in turn loses touch of key elements to make this film work. Friday the 13th is like every other recent horror remake, boring, and unimpressive trash.
Directors Cat
½ January 26, 2012
It may be a heartless series rehash but to be honest it's a sophisticated one. The story is much more efficent in structure than the original film and I did jump a fair few times which is more then I can say for it's inspirational predecessor. A majority of critics only reacted to this harshly because it was made by the satan of cinema Michael Bay and I didn't want to like it but I did. Friday the 13th wasn't the most horrific franchise in the world to begin with but this was a terrifying remake worth doing. It does grow to have a built in repetitive feel after a while. It wasn't a great film but hey, it was scary enough.
October 26, 2011
Nothing really new here, except more blood. I was a bit let down from this reboot. It moved to fast and felt like a teen movie. I wish they would have focused more on how Jason became Jason; just like they did for Michael Myers in the Halloween reboot.
½ February 19, 2009
Truly one of the worst Horror remakes ever, avoid at all costs. It ticks all the boxes of a modern day slasher, without anything different to offer. Remaking a Classic 80's Horror film, I feel, just needs an uptodate makeover, instead the mask is pretty much the only thing that is the same.
½ January 22, 2011
What a crappy remake! It has basically no action. The guy barely looks like Jason!

Grade: D
WrenchLT
January 9, 2011
Money-spinning remake of a formula done hundreds of times before... but no one does it like Mr.Voorhees. Admittedly it was a thrill to see Jason brutally wield the machete once again turning Crystal Lake into Camp Blood again. Mildly entertaining throughout, but not quite as gory as other slashers around these days - Freddy Vs. Jason was much bloodier!!
½ December 31, 2009
Obviously one goes into this movie expecting plenty of gruesome deaths, huge breasts and a lot to laugh about, just like when watching any other film of this trashy, brainless series. But this remake is never scary, tense, inspired or anything else than a painful, predictable imbecility.
November 18, 2009
I really thought this was a great movie and certainly compiles the best things about the franchise. You'd think that people would be happy to see Jason back in action, but the fact that it's a remake inevitably made it unworthy amongst average viewers and critics. However, any true fan of the series knows that this is a great movie. Jason has never looked better, he is so physically imposing and disturbed. The movie is shot incredibly well and gives a legitimacy to the characters and story. This sort've blends all the great moments from the first four movies in the series and leaves out all the camp and flaws. This is about as realistic Jason Voorhees will ever get and I commend Marcus Nispel for doing such a great job with bringing such a beloved character back from the dead. This movie has some very good acting and realistic decision-making, something that has been missing from the series for a long time. This is not for everyone, obviously, but I think it was really amazing.
½ January 14, 2010
Not great, but it is certainly one of the best tries to remake a horror movie classic! It has even more cliches than the original, and there is far too much gore and nudity mixed together just to make the movie drag along. Still, standing alone, it does a better back story than the original, which almost all remakes seem to get right. Putting all this aside, it is very average, but I had a fun time at the movies, seeing Jason one more time!
June 23, 2010
it was okay. the first 20 minutes was good. the movie isn't as nearly as good as when the first group of teens were around. C
3niR
April 25, 2010
This was okay. Not that scary.
The Gandiman
½ January 6, 2010
Horror movie lovers: recoil, putrid remake strikes all the wrong notes. Loud instead of scary; badly drawn archetypes of archetypes; convenient plot holes and mind-cringing situations, Friday is a sad disaster
FiLmCrAzY
March 17, 2009
OMG so boring, jumpy in places but other than that its annoyingly boring!
Its reminds me of bloody halloween where the mortal beings seem bloody impossible to kill so its just boring and annoying and after a while the constannt darkness gets annoyingly boring!
The storyline is crap and the movie just isnt great boring not worth a wtach!
½ August 12, 2008
A very good "re-imaging" NOT a re-make! I can't believe how many people have said it's a remake, Jason wasn't in the first one hello! Rant over.
Comparing it to the original series of films this has a flash back of the ending of the first, for those who haven't seen it shame on you, and has more in common with the 2nd and 3rd installments. I actually enjoyed it, it gives the fans of the original films an updated version of what they loved about the films. There are plenty of inventive death scenes, sex, drugs and boozing with plenty of gorgeous girls in it. I thought it had a bit too much stoner behaviour, which seem to dumb down the film a bit. It has a slick visual style similar to the recent Texas chainsaw remakes, same director, as well as the same style of old gritty locations and sets. Overall a cool update for anyone who was a fan of the original films and better than nearly all of the previous films apart from the first which is a cult classic at least. Definitely one for slasher fans.
September 13, 2009
Entertained me by giving me the Jason I know and love...
Willy T
½ September 9, 2009
A group of young adults discover a boardered up Camp Crystal Lake when they decide to go to one of their friend's vacation home. They soon encounter Jason Voorhees and what his deadly intentions are. Another way to say this is, friends get drunk together, Jason finds them, everybody runs around, Jason starts randomly killing people, "Help!"

No matter how many flaws to this film there are and no matter how many stereotypes the film can come up with, it still scared me and I did jump lot, and that's all a horror movie is really trying to do. So, yes, I can say that this movie acheived it's goal. Also, this remake seems like it has a little more creativity than the others had. It wasn't the killings that were more creative, but how the story incorperated an underground dungeon for Jason with who knows what in it.

That said, the film is packed with almost every horror movie cliche possible. Girls get naked, then their boyfriend dies, the girl gets captured, that type of thing. I think there has been eleven movies before this one and every time they have the same ending. The movie makes you think that somebody has killed Jason but then he comes back to life in the very last shot for another Friday the 13th.

I don't want to sound like I'm contradicting myself but I think I have to. There are a lot of the same jumpy moments used in other scary movies but somehow they still were scary. So if you're not looking for a good movie, but just a fun one to see with your frends then go see Friday the 13th.
TheGame90
August 31, 2009
Well it was kind of how I expected it to be...Jason was there...the mask was there....the stupid teens was there...sounds like a friday the 13th movie to me
½ December 2, 2008
This was totally pathetic. Every character in this except the one played by Jared Padalecki was horrible. Half the time as they were getting killed off, I'm thinking "haven't we already seen this one die at the beginning?". Yes, they were all that generic. Why do the kids in these always have to be drug minded, obnoxious morons?