Fried Green Tomatoes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fried Green Tomatoes Reviews

thmtsang
July 21, 2007
Excellent movie about friendship and love. Kathy Bates' character befriends an old woman who tells stories of her past.
½ February 5, 2012
Always love a good southern movie, and well done coming of age drama
movieguru12
May 23, 2008
A bittersweet story about how the Whistle Stop Cafe brought together Idgie Threadgoode, Ruth Jamison & many others & a story to be told by Ninny Threadgoode to a southern woman, Evelyn Couch.
April 4, 2010
Another tale of the Southern woman, so spicy and headstrong that she ends up in multiple adventures including murder, love affairs, and the ultimate threat of betrayal between best friends. Friendship, the cornerstone to this feel good film, is the building block that parallels relationships of the past with the present state of wild eyed homemaker Kathy Bates, whose performance is both realistic, heart warming, and darn impressive. Accolades are worth throwing around for this love fest.
November 29, 2010
Full of southern charm and heart. A movie about friendship and how it shapes our lives. It's a classic and so good, but the director's cut is a little long.
April 24, 2007
I don't know what it is about this movie, but I like watching it. It is a story about a love between two women in a different era -- a story of good over evil, of weak over strong. It throws in a mystery of Ninny and Idgie as well. And perhaps a longing for the good old days.
Chiefilms
½ January 16, 2010
Kathy Bates is a big woman and adorable at the same time. Hahaha Chris O'Donnell literally gets train run on him in this movie.
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
I remember this movie terrifying me as a child.
July 27, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie despite the fact that I watched it once and didn't remember so I rented it again.
July 2, 2009
This is truly a beautiful film.

Well written and superbly acted it tugs at the heartstrings harder than almost any other movie. The way it sets up an obvious story line and then like a gentle roller-coaster suddenly takes you in another direction is unequalled in this type of film.

There are so many points of genuine sadness and whenever you think you have guessed the story you suddenly turn to find an outcome more surprising than you thought.

Major characters die, major characters do not "fall in love" and major characters are not allowed to cop-out; it is as a film should be.

Remarkable well written, produced with care and acted with understatement and love - it is a beautiful film.

Watch it.
June 14, 2008
Comedy drama about a woman who finds strength to assert herself in the modern day through the stories of two women in the past. The film's framing device is somewhat awkward, but this likeable feminist drama benefits from a great ensemble cast. Actress-turned-author Fannie Flagg was nominated for an Oscar for her screenplay in adapting her novel Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café.
May 3, 2008
Suprisingly good in every way, stand out performances by Mary Stuart Materson and Kathy Bates.
puffchunk
October 18, 2007
All I remember is they eat some guy.
½ August 26, 2007
Can't beleive I watched this and liked it ^_^
May 30, 2007
awww, jessica tandy is a darling! the friendship between idgie and ruth is heartwarming. i usually think morgan freeman is the master of narration, but jessica tandy gives him a run for his money!
January 31, 2007
I liked this one.
deano
½ December 6, 2006
This Southern old-fashioned film is really bitter-sweet, emotionally and often amusing after I read the novel when I was a Year 11 student.
½ November 7, 2006
One of my favorites.
½ July 30, 2011
A wonderfully told story of female empowerment, anti-racism, love, and independence.
½ April 3, 2007
This movie shows the audience the true meaning of friendship. Set in modern times, with flashbacks to the early 1900's, Fried Green Tomatoes shows the story of two unlikely friendships...and this film has it all! Drama, Comedy, Tragedy, Murder, Slavery, Lesbianism, you name it, this film has it. It's a classic and one of my favorite 90s films. All the ladies are terrific and the story is magical. Movies like this are the reason people go to the movies. There are a million reasons to see this film, it's one you'll be talking about!