• R, 1 hr. 42 min.
    In Theaters:
    Jul 22, 2011 Wide
    On DVD:
    Dec 2, 2011
  • Sony/Screen Gems

Critic Review - Variety

The script exhausts its originality awfully quickly, with subsequent hookups recycling jokes from other movies.

July 18, 2011 Full Review Source: Variety | Comments (32)
Variety
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

markiv08

Brian Hackett

I'm a little confused how this is a rotten tomato? Reads like a pretty positive review to me.

Jul 18 - 03:44 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Pretty obvoiu

Jul 18 - 05:46 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Pretty obvious that this is just no strings attached rehashed in less than a year. At least this movie is less afraid of critics reviews than captain America, though. You can already tell that movie is going to be rotten because any movies that wait to the last minute (within 5 days of it coming out) to start posting reviews are definitely rotten. Unfortunate...

Jul 18 - 05:50 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

It's pretty obvious you are highly ignorant. Unfortunatly...

Jul 18 - 06:29 PM

Bob D.

Bob Dudski

??? what was ignorant about his comment?

Jul 18 - 08:01 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

What's ignorant about his comment? One, he's making assumptions like they are facts. Which they are not. Two, "Friends with Benefits" may have similarities with "No Strings Attached" BUT to say it's a "rehash"? That would make it practically a remake. When it's technically not a remake of anything as there are differences between the two films besides just the actors. Again, his comment is simply ignorant if not just misguided.

Jul 19 - 10:23 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Right, so a movie that has pretty much the same name in meaning, except reworded, as no strings attached, and decides to put the exact same types of jokes/ideas in the trailers as the latter, cannot be compared to this other movie in your mind. Please give me a better example of a movie that it is similar to.

Jul 19 - 07:37 PM

John D.

John Doe

Wow, NTROST is fucking passionate about this film.

Jul 20 - 12:05 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

What's unfortunatly mean?

Jul 18 - 10:48 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

What does unfortunatly mean?

Jul 18 - 10:49 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

I forget the "e" (by mistake) in the word "unfortunately" & you can't figure out what the word is? Either again, you are ignorant or just plain stupid.

Jul 19 - 10:11 AM

Master007

Owen Jones

Or maybe he's just Sarcastic?

Jul 19 - 05:44 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Definitely sarcasm.

Jul 19 - 07:18 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

What's either again? Do you mean either, again, ?

Jul 19 - 07:28 PM

John D.

John Doe

ZING!

Jul 20 - 12:06 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Lol at that "either again" comment. For some reason I laugh more at your posts because of the picture of Busey. I just hear his voice saying the things you type...XD

Jul 20 - 08:17 AM

Sean Sewell

Sean Sewell

It does get annoying when people make blatant errors sometimes, but you're not perfect either Loki because in your original post you should have made critics into critics'. So before you start bashing you should check your own shit.

Jul 20 - 12:37 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Oh, I realized that after typing it, but I'm doing this on an iPhone, so the long posts I tend not to look over again befor clicking 'post'. Plus, I wasn't bashing anyone in that original post. Anything where I'm, say, calling someone ignorant, or something along those lines, I try not to be ignorant myself. Or I put a blatant error in there to see if the ignorant person can catch it. Whichever would seem to provoke the more interesting response.

Jul 21 - 11:50 AM

Bobby S.

Bobby Saretsky

I actually think it is going to do well. Will Gluck proved he has the ability to crank out a fresh comedy, last year with "Easy A". I have high hopes for this

Jul 18 - 09:02 PM

markiv08

Brian Hackett

As the director Will Gluck pointed out in an article today, NSA and FWB were shot at the same time last summer. It isn't a copy, it is simply the fact that NSA got released first.

Jul 18 - 11:16 PM

Sideways

Gordon Pennoyer

This seems like an odd forum to write a stupid prediction about a different movie.

Jul 21 - 08:13 AM

Brian B.

Brian Bunch

I think this will be better then no strings attached. The leads fit there roles perfectly. The only problem is easy while mildy entertaining was very predictable. Well duh lol everyone has know for months cowboys and aliens and captain american where crap.

Jul 18 - 09:52 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Not a terribly rotten review. Overall it seems he laughed but found it too predictable to set it on the same level as some of the other comedies out this year (Horrible Bosses, Bridesmaids). I'm just hoping for a good Redbox chuckle movie. Nothing I'm going to pay $20 for a date for, but still something to look forward to the dvd release.

Jul 19 - 07:43 AM

John D.

John Doe

I dunno if I will see this. Generally I have no desire to see rom-coms (save Bridesmaids), but I laughed at the part in the trailer where Kunis insulted Katherine Heigl movies.

Does that make me a bad person?

Jul 20 - 12:08 AM

Mike Scott

Mike Scott

I did not see No Strings Attached, but I saw FWB twice (they have screened it at least 7 times in DC that I know of). FWB is funny and there is real, believable chemistry, and that is why this movie works. When a movie is shown numerous times, that means the studio has a lot of confidence in it.

Jul 19 - 09:11 AM

Brandon Kim

Brandon Kim

Is it just me or the critics don't get satisfied with most of the comedy movies? Sorry for grammar errors, I'm not fully American.

Jul 19 - 12:21 PM

John D.

John Doe

Well they're generally terrible. Nowadays, it's almost as hard to get a "Fresh" comedy as it is to get a "Fresh" horror.

Of course, there generally are some films in recent years that critics have loved:

Shaun of the Dead

The Hangover
Bridesmaids
Horrible Bosses

Jul 20 - 12:11 AM

Max Goldman

Max Goldman

i mean FWB and no strings attached were written around the same time, it was casted years ago. there is no way they could have known both of these were coming out until it was too late

Jul 19 - 03:33 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

But do you think they still would have made it if friends with benifits had bombed? I doubt it

Jul 19 - 07:52 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

But do you think they still would have made it if no strings attached had bombed? I doubt it...

Jul 19 - 07:54 PM

Michael Lundholm

Michael Lundholm

Loki - The movie was made at the SAME time. Even if No Strings Attached had bombed, this movie would have come out because it had already been made. You seem to fundamentally not understand how long it takes to make a movie.

Jul 21 - 12:38 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Or maybe I didn't spend any time looking up the history of a movie I'm not going to see... Also, I'm pretty sure the poster above me said they were written at the same time, so my understanding is not misguided on a fundamental level. In a more proper use of the word, you lack a fundamental understanding of the difference between the words 'written' and 'made'.

Jul 21 - 12:06 PM

Thomas Skuzinski

Thomas Skuzinski

No, Michael L. doesn't lack a fundamental understanding of the difference in those words, because he wasn't the one who submitted the post about the movies being written at the same time. Also, you exhibit a fundamental lack of misunderstanding because you said "do you think they still would have made it if no strings attached had bombed?" This implies that a major studio release can be engineered within 5 months. Even with a script in place, that cannot happen. Hence, you have a fundamental misunderstanding. Also, the number of words you've wasted in this comment thread belie the amount of spare time you'd have for looking up basic facts about a movie.

Jul 21 - 02:19 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Final proof that The Kutch is box office poison. Similar romantic comedy with a star of Black Swan only with The Kutch replaced by the marginally comedically talented Justin Timberlake and this one seems to blow the Kutch's movie out of the water. So please Hollywood, stop giving him chances. Also final proof that you don't have to be Bruce Willis to tag Demi Moore these days.

Jul 20 - 07:31 AM

Ginger Menendez

Ginger Menendez

This movie has been pre-screening for almost a month now and I believe it's because this move out of the 2 that have already come out with similar plots (Love and Other Drugs, and No Strings Attached)this is the funniest, and refreshing one. I enjoyed the whole movie and everyone in the audience was constantly laughing. The critics can be a bit to harsh on romantic comedies but this one is worth your money!

Jul 20 - 11:43 AM