Five Favorite Films with Megan Fox

Plus, the actress chats about her role in this week's ensemble movie Friends with Kids and why she enjoys doing comedy.

It wasn't too long ago that Megan Fox found herself at the dizzying center of the celebrity maelstrom. Through no particular fault of her own, she was teetering on the brink of media overexposure -- the kind that comes from the usual perception of someone (and more often an actress) suddenly becoming too big, and too fast. Fox's well-publicized (and rather humorous) feud with her Transformers director Michael Bay lead to her being dismissed from the third installment (quick: try and remember the name of her replacement), while her would-be star vehicle -- the hopelessly misunderstood Jennifer's Body -- bombed with critics and audiences.

Yet Fox's career is taking an arguably more interesting turn now that the white light of scrutiny has subsided: she's got roles in Judd Apatow's Knocked Up sequel This is 40 and Sacha Baron Cohen's The Dictator on the way, and this week stars as part of the ensemble cast of Jennifer Westfeldt's Friends with Kids. In the well-received comedy-drama, Fox plays Mary Jane, the much-younger girlfriend of single-dad-with-a-twist Adam Scott, while getting to act alongside a cast that includes Westfeldt, Jon Hamm, Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph.

We got a chance to chat with Fox about the experience recently, as well as her thoughts on doing more of this kind of comedy in the future. Read on for that, but first, she reeled off her five favorite films. (And for being the first person to pick Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, well, we salute her.)

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Peter Jackson; 2001, 2002, 2003; 92%, 96%, 94% Tomatometers)

Well number one -- and we have to count it as one or else it's take up my whole list -- is The Lord of the Rings. That's pretty self-explanatory. I read the books when I was a kid and Peter Jackson just created this incredible world and environment that you get caught up in. It's amazing.

How to Train Your Dragon (Peter Hastings and Chris Sanders, 2010; 98% Tomatometer)

Number two -- you're not gonna believe me [laughs] -- number two is How to Train Your Dragon. You should see it. It's sad, it's sweet -- it's a really good movie.

Kung Fu Panda 2 (Jennifer Yuh, 2011; 81% Tomatometer)

Kung Fu Panda 2. [Laughs] I really love that.

You really like those animated movies, huh.

I really love kids' movies. I watch them constantly. I don't know, it's nostalgic I guess. I don't know why I love them so much.

The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming and King Vidor; 1939; 100% Tomatometer)

The Wizard of Oz, which I grew up with. That has always been one of my favorites. It's a classic.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trilogy (Steve Barron, Michael Pressman, Stuart Gillard; 1990, 1991, 1993; 44%, 36%, 27% Tomatometers)

Finally -- and this is a series as well -- the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. The original three are just... [sings] "Go ninja, go ninja, go!" I just really loved those movies.

I do love the first one. How old were you when you saw them?

I was must have been really young -- maybe five or six when I first saw them. And I think they still hold up. [Laughs] My husband laughs 'cause he thinks they're so terrible, but I love the animatronic puppets. I just love the old school, the practical -- you know, there's no CG. I prefer the original Yoda in Star Wars as opposed to the CG Yoda. I love puppets and animatronics.

I'm with you. He needs to go and rewatch those films. That should be your mission.

To make him a believer? [Laughs] I'll try.

Next, Fox chats about her role in this week's Friends with Kids, why she enjoys playing comedy, and her experiences working with Judd Apatow and Sacha Baron Cohen.

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'll just keep my mouth shut then. It would help if she'd let me borrow her foo-foo.

Mar 8 - 12:41 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I'm happy to see her career is back on track; after she got "tangled-up" (ensnared) by Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg, it looked like The End of Megan Fox. Gtreat Choice of movies--I'm glad Megan dosen't put on airs sputtering-out films like The Godfather and Citizen Caine as her favorite films.///maybe they can cast her as Murphy in the BLUE THUNDER remake, where an Iraq War veteren steals the most Lethal Helicopter and flies over Los Angeles. BLUE THUNDER IS AWESOME! Maybe she can play MARIA in the FRITZ LANG METROPOLIS remake. "They" (the nameless, faceless They) are always contriving to remake something.

Mar 11 - 10:11 AM

Commodity Free

Commodity Free

I just desired to jot down a comment in order to say thanks to you for all those wonderful hints you?re giving out at this website. My personal lengthy internet search has after the day already been compensated with really good details to exchange along with my site visitors. I deb declare that many of us visitors are undoubtedly endowed to dwell inside a notable web site along with very many wonderful professionals along with beneficial tips. I feel very fortunate to have come across the web pages and appear toward many more fascinating times reading right here. Thanks once again for all the particulars.

For better investment and trading knowledge in share market mcxtips is the best idea..Get on your mobile mcx tips or commodity also intraday trading tips By SMS...

Mar 14 - 06:10 AM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Got to love a woman with her looks who loves the LOTR Trilogy!

Mar 8 - 12:54 PM

Manny A.

Manny Abreu

Agreed!

Mar 8 - 07:38 PM

Joćo Paulo

Joćo Paulo

Me too

Mar 8 - 08:47 PM

Jackie Anaya

Jackie Anaya

She's kind of over rated, but yeah.

Mar 9 - 02:07 PM

Vince Vaughn not really

Glenn Vaughn

LOL

Mar 9 - 02:42 PM

Mrchispa M.

Mrchispa Mrchispa

Doesn't matter fap fap.

Mar 11 - 10:57 AM

jan_tran

Jan Tran

Megan Fox is an enigma; she wears Star Wars tee-shirts, has Monroe imprinted on half her arm, yet none of that resonates in the top-five list she displays here.

Mar 8 - 12:55 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Well, she said she read LOTR when she was young (imagine that, a hot chick who reads fantasy), she listed TMNT as favorites, and she said she likes practical effects and prefers puppet Yoda to CG Yoda. I think all of that go with what you've pointed out. She's an old-school geek.

Mar 8 - 01:08 PM

jan_tran

Jan Tran

How are LOTR and TMNT "old school?"

Mar 8 - 01:13 PM

padidas

Jason Amerling

TMNT is pretty old school, dude.

Mar 8 - 01:31 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Like Star Wars, there's old school Star Wars and new Star Wars. TMNT is similar. I still have the first dozen or so comics and they're kind of dark and foreboding. And 1991 was more than 20 years ago, that makes it old school too IMO.

Mar 8 - 05:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

If anyone were to actually make the original Eastman/Laird TMNT comics (with the inherent satire of comics themselves that was part of the original joke) then I would be interested.

Mar 8 - 07:00 PM

Kessa Sun

Kessa Sun

The original series was animated and came out in the 80's.. That would be the definition of old skool you rookie...

Mar 9 - 04:30 AM

Pat ChalupaBatman

Pat ChalupaBatman

the trilogy though???? 3rd movie was disgustingly awful

Mar 9 - 12:07 PM

Shawn Gillogly

Shawn Gillogly

Lord of the Rings is the starting place of modern fantasy. It's over half-a-century old. How is that NOT old school?

Mar 9 - 02:47 PM

Matt Larson

Matt Larson

LOTR is an old series of books that came out in the 50's. Id say that qualifies it as old school.

Mar 9 - 02:50 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

Why is so surprising to find out that she reads fantasy? Almost every hot chick I've ever met admits to the exact same thing. Geeks come in all shapes and sizes just like other types of people.

Mar 8 - 08:45 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Almost every hot chick you've met reads fantasy? What sort of bizarro reality do you live in?

Mar 10 - 08:05 AM

Gabriel Santos

Gabriel Santos

They are just trying to get in your pants

Mar 10 - 11:32 AM

Thomas Daly

Thomas Daly

Megan Fox isn't an enigma, she doesn't know what "enigma" means! Note 4 of her top 5 films were children's movies, pretty sad. Don't get me wrong, I love kids movies and "Wiz" would top my children's list, but she puts Marilyn ink on her arm and doesn't fan one flick? Some like it hot would make a top 50 for my list, but not due to Monroe's turn. She's as shallow as a puddle and vain without warranting it. The LOTR should be on every top 10 with a brain stem so she made one good adult choice. THat's the last time I'll waste 3 minutes of my life on a topic with her name on it...Ninja Turtles? Good Heavens!

Mar 10 - 01:34 PM

Seth Hoskins

Seth Hoskins

Agreed, agreed. Yea I thought RT was too smart to feature her in an article.

Mar 12 - 03:19 PM

Nick Castronuova

Nick Castronuova

Yeah bummer that she's honest about the movies she likes and not a pompous toad who spits out completely fake lists given by her PR people. Seems like she's more an escapist than anything else. And what the hell is wrong with that?

Mar 13 - 01:42 PM

Cameron Nixon

Cameron Nixon

Haha, you're kind of a worthless human being.

Jun 16 - 07:42 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Despite Megan Fox being labelled as a mature adult, I can still see she's still growing or is still a child at heart! Kung Fu Panda 2, TMNT seriously!

Mar 8 - 12:57 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I came here all ready to bash her list and everything. I figured it would be littered either with 1. crappy, corny films or 2. established masterpieces to make her look better.

But then I saw the LOTR trilogy and the TMNT trilogy. Her list is obviously personal, and they're movies I actually like. Damn.

Mar 8 - 01:02 PM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

Agreed, I was pretty surprised as well. Gotta love LOTR.

Mar 8 - 02:07 PM

The Connoisseur

arnold kumar

I was about to do the same thing and then saw her list was like whaaat?

Mar 8 - 05:31 PM

Andrew I.

Andrew Imrie

She's still a bitch.

Mar 11 - 11:08 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Mar 8 - 01:08 PM

jan_tran

Jan Tran

How are LOTR and TMNT "old school?"

Mar 8 - 01:13 PM

padidas

Jason Amerling

TMNT is pretty old school, dude.

Mar 8 - 01:31 PM

Gabriel Santos

Gabriel Santos

They are just trying to get in your pants

Mar 10 - 11:32 AM

jan_tran

Jan Tran

How are LOTR and TMNT "old school?"

Mar 8 - 01:13 PM

padidas

Jason Amerling

TMNT is pretty old school, dude.

Mar 8 - 01:31 PM

Mar 9 - 02:47 PM

Matt Larson

Matt Larson

Mar 9 - 02:50 PM

padidas

Jason Amerling

TMNT is pretty old school, dude.

Mar 8 - 01:31 PM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

she picked TMNT. i think i just fell in love.... but not really a bad list. she said she loves kids movies, and she held up to that by having 4 of her 5 being childrens movies.

Mar 8 - 01:58 PM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

Agreed, I was pretty surprised as well. Gotta love LOTR.

Mar 8 - 02:07 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

At least Transformers didn't make the cut

Mar 8 - 02:12 PM

Gabriel Zisk

Gabriel Zisk

that trilogy will probably only be on the antichrist's five favorite list.

Mar 9 - 08:24 AM

One Word Reviews

Luke Simpson

Five Favorite Films with Sacha Baron Cohen???

Mar 8 - 02:48 PM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

that would be interesting.

Mar 8 - 03:14 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Interesting list to say the least. I personally also have a soft spot for the TMNT films (except for the third, which I hate) though I wouldn't consider them favorites or anything like. Nice choice there with LOTR. I'd also just rank them together as one whole film, maybe not in my top 5, but top 10. I suppose the most surprising choice out of these would be Kung Fu Panda 2, as while a lot of fun it's not exactly a great film and wouldn't have the nostalgie factor that the TMNT would have given that it's less than a year old, but hey it's her favorites not mine.

Mar 8 - 02:58 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Oh come on, the second one sucked too. If it wasn't for Vanilla ice and super shredder no one would give a crap.

Mar 9 - 05:22 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

what did i just read? i admire her for being honest, i guess??

Mar 8 - 02:59 PM

Tony Pu

Tony Pu

hahaha a positive approach for a list formed with such inane explanations.

Mar 9 - 01:25 PM

Thomas Daly

Thomas Daly

Uhh, umm, I don't know why I love them so much...because you have the IQ of a potato! Ninja Turtles, seriously? "and this was a series as well"! (It was a series first Captain Obvious). The actors who shot it wouldn't even add it to their top 1,000 list. If RT invited me to do my top five list today, I'd decline explaining I didn't want to be aligned with any site that would include Fox's list of anything about anything. Peace

Mar 10 - 01:48 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Intersting. Her taste in film is better than Taylor Lautner's. She does seem to be a child/fangirl at heart. Her last name definitely compliments her looks.

Mar 8 - 03:05 PM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

that would be interesting.

Mar 8 - 03:14 PM

Banra Purk

Banra Purk

I hate the way she portrays herself...but she has good movie taste!

Mar 8 - 03:23 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday