—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Friends With Money Reviews

Nicki M

January 25, 2008
Enjoyed this for the second time. Not a huge story, and not a cute rom com as you might expect with Jennifer Anniston.
Jennifer plays Olivia, a down on her luck teacher working as a maid.
Her three friends are better off financially, but having their own struggles.
The funniest part was the lady screaming that a customer pushed in front of her in line. The movie is funny, but it's a black humour.
More something for a 30 plus to watch. I don't know that a younger audience would really get it. Not one for someone who likes all happy endings and sunshine in a movie either.
Julie B

January 29, 2012
One of those "seems so real you feel like a voyeur" flicks. I had a hard time believing Jennifer Aniston as a sad sack, but the rest of the cast was solid.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
It was ok. Nothing really that special or outstanding. Dissapointing since I love Jennifer Aniston.
Jennifer X

May 2, 2011
Friends With Money has much more of a bite than other Holofcener films, it's sort of a nice remix on her themes. But it also makes me a little bit depressed.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

October 24, 2010
Nicole Holofcener's "Friends with Money" is THE zeitgeist film for the 00s. It achieves that status because it was never trying to achieve it. This is so sharply observed, rings true in every scene, so deftly acted and so perfectly plotted that it captures the very essence of America. "Friends with Money" is unfairly tossed aside (due to Jennifer Aniston's presence; but make no mistake, she is terrific here), undervalued (due to it's limited availability) and misunderstood (due to Holofcener's stream of conscious narrative approach). Deep, meaningful, insightful and true, "Friends with Money" is absolutely perfect.
Alice S

July 13, 2008
Every character is so well-developed. Every nothing-fight, every performance, every funny and sad moment, is perfectly paced under Holofcener's direction. I don't think Jennifer Aniston is a GREAT actress, but I do find her likable. This role is certainly one of her best. That scene of her looking into the mirror, just putting on face lotion is the most hollow (in a good way) I've seen her.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 8, 2007
I quite liked this movie, is was an interesting indie sort of chick flick! This movie is also funny and has exceptional performances from everyone in this movie, i love jennifer Aniston but i dont think she really ranges herself like with picture perfect she plays a female who is single and then gets won over or something and finds a better meaning to life, but this movie is good, funny intriguing and does prove money doesnt always buy happiness!
worth a watch!
Fernando Rafael Q

March 3, 2007
Very interesting; simple yet satisfying character study. The film's biggest achievement is the fact that it's very well grounded in reality. Everything feels so genuine.

Competent writing/directing by Nicole Holofcener, but this little indie gem is all about its strong female cast, led by a wonderful Frances McDormand. Jason Isaacs stands out amongst the men.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
This chick flick is telling the story of a single woman in her late 30s (Aniston) amidst a circle of rich, married couple friends. The message of the film soon becomes clear, once we get a closer look at the problems everyone's facing: money doesn't buy happiness. We get it. The situations and dialogues this is shown through are more or less amusing and the acting ensemble consists of great names. Still, it feels as if something's missing, despite of the amusing end surprise for Aniston's character. I just didn't know how to feel about the movie once it ended. Hence the mediocre rating.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 8, 2009
Great movie about how being in your 40s can really change you. I absoutly adore Jennifer Aniston and she was great in this movie!
Red L

April 7, 2008
I guess this is an OK movie. It examines the relationships of four friends - women who are in their 40's and managing their relationships with various levels of success.
Nani V

March 23, 2008
A pretty good job from Aniston.
deano
deano

January 27, 2007
Fine drama with Jennifer Aniston and her girlfriends with money. She seemed so sexy and beautiful in her maid outfit.
Jose Z

September 9, 2006
good movie, its not the typical comedy film, it has some kind of black humor, lets say its a very acid one. And it is a very reflexive film that in some moments makes u think a lot Its cast its very good and with a great quality.
zeravenyoej
zeravenyoej

May 17, 2007
A lightweight examination of money's impact on friendships. I love this cast: Frances, Catherine, Joan, and Jennifer. It has this sharply observant edge to it. It could have easily gone over the top, but it rings true, and with some funny moments as well.
Daniel P

March 22, 2007
Very well acted and well scripted drama/comedy with some nice lines. The whole "I have all this wealth but I am so unhappy" thing has been to death before, but the realism in the relationships and the quality of the characterisation stops things from becoming over familiar or irritating. The film unfortunately seems to suggest in the conclusion that your life will be ok if you can meet a decent guy with lots of money, which makes some of the earlier insight seem pointless, but for the majority of the running time this is a nice little film with a fine cast.
Andrew F

January 14, 2007
It was actually pretty good. The cast is great. What a wonderful surprise.
Sunil J

January 31, 2008
Okay, maybe this movie didn't really deliver anything more than we saw in the trailer but I was very entertained.
m h

March 15, 2009
Dreadfully boring. That pretty sums it up. A few funny lines but overall not that great. Catherine Keener is probably the best out of it. Don't waste your time on this.