From Within Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ November 1, 2009
From the 8 Films to Die For 2009 Collection, This is the first film in that collection I have watched, If you haven't watched any of the After Dark Horrorfest Series I suggest you do, they just get better and better. This one was a good one to watch during this Halloween season. Its about a rash of suicides in small town USA. The story moves fast so pay attention so you don't lose who is who. The ending holds a twist so be prepared, and I am sure we will see a squeal. The acting by all was over the top. Don't think you'll lose any sleep on this one. But still worth the watch and worth every bit of 4 stars.
½ May 17, 2009
From Within was actually pretty freaky. It was like a combination of The Grudge, the (few) good parts of The Happening, and maybe a bit of The Abandoned as well. The frightening atmosphere and sense of dread were the main things that I liked.

There was a good amount of gore and violece, and the jump moments never became annoying like they do in many horror movies. I just wish there had been at least a few halfway normal Christians to balance out all the insanely evil and violent ones that were portrayed here. From Within stands alongside The Gravedancers as my favorites of the After Dark series.
November 19, 2009
Ever since the release of movies like the Grudge and the Ring, a decade ago, we have been flooded with these similar movies and aren't you tired of them by now? The movie studios are, that's why all the recent ones have been direct to video releases with little to no promotion. I really don't understand why they keep insisting on beating us over the head with the same story over and over again. From Within is exactly like all the others, people start dying, most everyone sees it as strange coincidence, except for a hand full of people who see something supernatural. This time it's suicides in a small town, a bland, predictable take on a story that has been done to death! From Within has the distinction of being even worse, because of it's awful cast. This film proves that as long as you are good looking, someone, somewhere will be willing to put you in a movie, regardless of weather or not you actually have any talent. I choose this film, because once again, the description they wrote for it made it sound like one of the coolest horror movies of all time. Instead, what I got was boring, predictable, and a complete waste of time!
April 6, 2011
This wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was just mediocre - I wouldn't watch it again.
roseypie
½ June 8, 2009
Is it just me or does Elizabeth Rice looked too young to be playing an 18-year old?

I wanted to like this movie, after all, the whole doppleganger idea was creepy and the death scenes had just enough gore to make me sick to my stomach. There was just something about the acting from the whole cast that either didn't move me because there wasn't enough show of the right emotions or were over-acted to the point of annoying.
iLeo
½ May 16, 2009
Interesting but a bit unusual! Good story plot. Adam Goldberg?s performance is quite intriguing. Worthy!
½ December 26, 2012
This was done well for a low budget horror movie. The story was interesting, with religious themes, the acting was good, and the effects were minimal but acceptable. There were no scares, however there was enough tension built up to overcome it. Surprisingly above average.
½ March 10, 2011
This may sound strange, but this is a very nice movie to look at. It is filmed wonderfully, but it actually becomes a hindrance to try to follow the story. There seems to be no real imagination in the screenplay and the character evolution seems to just cannibalize itself or other characters in terms of wanting to care about someone. You really could care less when someone dies. I know this is the horror movie standard, but I didn't even care about the lead.

What also may be the greatest thing about this movie (sarcasm, yes) is that during the credits they keep showing doom-laced images for people's fate while cutting to really cheery and chirpy alt rock crush music.
February 19, 2010
one of the 8 movies to die for that well .. not really I didn?t know the name at the time but I saw bits & pieces of it on chiller channel. But this wasn?t ?to die for? I?ve seen better movies in those that were!! Otehrs that weren?t from whatever you want to call the ?8 movies to die for? not sure if its just the way its promoted when they come out or if its part of a film festival (I think the later) as usual if someone commits suicide the fanatic religious types think theres some witch craft at play (which well the kid was practicing it ?son of a witch? literally but they start going after his brother etc. what not to mention they put all the dark sides in Grimore INSTEAD of a book of shadows. (usually a Grimore is the BAD & Book of Shadows is for good as far of what I?ve read. After the kid kills himself something possesses the girl next to him & goes on. (this kind of thing has been too over played so a big fat) F
½ February 12, 2010
Amazing horror film! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Definitely recommend it to any horror fan.
September 13, 2009
Seemingly drepressing horror, but believing makes us remember there are some hero's left to save the world. Doesn't matter how you believe, love precedes all. Story line is good. Creepy parts. Kept me interested even tho I seen the end coming.
½ August 6, 2009
I really liked this movie. You are your own worst enemy the human mind is a powerful thing and can trick us at any moment into doing something we would otherwise not....and never, ever fuck with a witch!
April 8, 2009
A very well told horror story that at times is predictable, but the reasons for what the characters did were not, if that makes any sense. Movie does tend to get a little slow at times. An ending that has a conclusion, but one people won't like.
April 6, 2009
From Within is the second film I have seen so far in this years Afterdark line up and let me tell you if this is any indication of the next 6 movies I am not excited. So the plot is based around this bible belt town that has been seeing a lot of suicides lately. They all seemed to be tied to this one family who the townspeople are convinced are Satan worshipers and are head set on getting rid of them. And that's it. The plot sounds done and dull, and that is because it is. The film first of all takes forever to get to the point, if there actually was one which I'm not sure there was. And throughout the wait all that you get are infuriating bible screaming people. Acting, you get pretty solid performances from the cast, that's if you don't let the obnoxious characters that they are playing cloud your judgment. Gore, nothing nada all that you get is a few hangings, a cheap wrist cutting scene, and a glimpse of a man with his brains blown out. Trust me nothing in this department. Soundtrack, I didn't even notice one. I also hated the fact that this movie was so predictable, I mean I was able to predict the plot from begging to end. Bottom Line From Within was nothing but a wanna be horror film. But at best this was a second rate drama. With nothing to offer I say do whatever it is you have to do and just skip this one.
March 23, 2009
This was a cool movie that keeps you interested the whole way through. It has an original plot so that adds to the enjoyment of the film. There aren't any big surprises or anything but it entertains from beginning to end. It's worth seeing for fans of Horror/Thriller films.
July 1, 2015
My faith in the ugliness of Christianity is reaffirmed.
Robbanflix
March 31, 2009
Yet another horrormovie from the "After dark festival" and its a decent once again and actually many of them are average horror flicks atleast the ones i have seen so far. The story takes place in a town where ppl takes suicide of some reason.. a pretty easy plot overall , decent acting. Could have been more horror/spooky perhaps but fair enough.
½ October 29, 2014
Very slow moving and not very scary. It has s few moments of creepiness and some adequate acting, but the direction is very pedestrian.
½ August 4, 2014
If you can get over the constant bible overtones (and for fucks sake there are alot of people who need to be punched in the face here) this is a solid story. I wanna say fairly original with some actual scares in makeup, lighting and camera work (rare these days with cgi shit all over) and prob the one thing that sets it apart from most and in my select group of movies is that they weren't afraid to plug in a ending that the censors would hate. kudos film that doesnt give a damn. ps. why the hell is Adam Goldberg in this?
September 8, 2013
I started watching this movie , not having the highest hopes, but was pleasantly surprised after watching it. Wasn't really scary but the plot was really good. Not too bad at all.