Frost/Nixon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frost/Nixon Reviews

½ March 11, 2016
The most interesting film on an interview you'll ever see, and heavily thanks to strong directing by Howard and to great leads to build chemistry.
December 20, 2015
Expertly constructed and filled with strong performances, "Frost/Nixon" matches the gravitas and sensitivity of its powerful subject hit for hit.
April 16, 2016
Very dry, though they did the best they could with the material that they decided to base a movie off of. Very much the same problem with "The Walk (2015)"--great acting and directing but stretching something that really shouldn't be two hours.
March 23, 2016
Director Ron Howard teams up with writer Peter Morgan to create what is arguably one of the director's best films. Michael Sheen and Frank Langella give our some incredible performances that I actually see David Frost and Richard Nixon instead of Michael Sheen and Frank Langella. The plot is very simple, but it is very effective and it can get a lot of moviegoers interested. The characters are so good that it got me more curious to see what was going to happen in the interviews. The screenplay by Peter Morgan is really great and it created a lot of interesting conversations between Frost and Nixon. When it goes to the interviews, it's the most tense moment in this film that gets you sucked in to the questions and answers, even if the answers can be frustrating and that you want Nixon to get it over his chest or that you want Frost to interrupt Nixon's answers and just go to the next question. The way it's filmed for the interviews is really good and it felt like I was actually watching a real and live interview. Frost/Nixon is an enthralling movie that plays through the mind tricks very well and that it shows that people can break.
½ March 22, 2016
The only political drama that I found highly entertaining! Im not a fan of the genre but Ron Howard creates a really engaging film that im sure anyone can enjoy.
½ March 7, 2016
Essentially a film about a single interview it is surprising how much impact this really did have on the world. Ron Howard has once again provided us with another cinema gem. The battle between Nixon and Frost is like a clash of titans and it was really enjoyable.

Michael Sheen was excellent as David Frost but it was Frank Langella as Richard Nixon who was the real standout.

If you want to watch something political with a little twist then look no further!
February 22, 2016
Truly disappointing. Frank Langella is a great actor, but I don't buy him as Richard Nixon for a second; same for Michael Sheen who is too slight in the role. Speaking of slight....so is the script. Like Rep. Paul Ryan...this is a dumb person's version of what something smart looks like.
January 23, 2014
The amazing battle between the film's two main characters to recover their respect was enthralling to watch. The story moved along quite well, the history was intriguing but most of all it was enthralling to see these two actors make their characters so real and vulnerable. Their lengthy duel in the documentary was fascinating and the complications behind the scenes only added to its weight.
½ December 10, 2015
When discussing or talking about United States political history, everyone in the world probably knows who Richard M. Nixon was. He was the 37th U.S. President, and many people feel that, because of his actions toward the war in Vietnam, and the scandal from the Watergate hotel, have defined him as a bad president. All of this led us to his infamous resignation from office- a feat no other U.S. president has done since. After that, there came several interviews featuring President Nixon- one of these such interviews was with British news reporter David Frost. These interviews not only shaped future political interviews, but also a landmark in television history as many people saw them, and got A better understanding of who Nixon was. One of these people was Peter Morgan, a playwright who not only adapted the interviews as a popular stage production, but also the 2008 film version known as "Frost/Nixon". When the movie came out, it was praised for its acting ability, and tough and relatable drama that was the center of attention. "Frost/Nixon" is a powerful drama that will both entertain and educate viewers on a pivotal and crucial moment in United States history.

The story involves the above mentioned figures- Richard M. Nixon (Frank Langella) and David Frost (Michael Sheen)- as they plan out a series of interviews detailing the former's life as President. The only downside to all of this is that David doesn't think he has the guts to tackle such a controversial figure like Nixon, and it might ruin his reputation; even his bank. David also has one big question on his mind that he feels will be unanswered: can the truth be told in front of millions of people watching on a small screen? He is going to find out.

"Frost/Nixon" is a remarkable film to watch with an older crowd. By this, younger audiences will learn what happened during a problematic times in the United States, and older audiences will get what actually happened during that time frame. The direction by Ron Howard is great as the action is centered on how the interviews were conducted, and all the troubles Frost had to go through in order to secure funding for this to happen. The editing makes the movie flow at a nice pace of two hours, keeping audiences entertained for that specific time. Musically, Hans Zimmer does a great job by creating a score that fits the tone of the movie perfectly. Even the costumes fit the time period very well, and the entire production looks fantastic. However, what really stands out is the acting, and even though it is just people recreating infamous roles, everyone does a phenomenal job.

The only criticism that is worth that is worth mentioning is that, yes, some of the interviews do not stick that close to the original source material, and the third act is the most engaging. But these are only nitpicks.

In conclusion, "Frost/Nixon" is a great movie that brilliantly recreates and showcases a pivotal moment in history through some outstanding acting that audiences will remember, on performances based on real people like David Frost and Richard M. Nixon.
December 8, 2015
Frost/Nixon is a movie that is beloved by critics. A theatre play that is turned into a motion picture is sometimes hit or miss, and in my opinion this is a miss. And that is coming from someone like myself who is fascinated with Richard Nixon and this period in American history. First and foremost I know that Frank Langela plays the role of Nixon in the play on stage. I understand that, and he's wildly popular among critics and theatregoers for his portrayal of this complicated man. I really must be missing something here, because I just don't see it at all. There is nothing Nixon about him in the slightest. He doesn't look anything like him, he doesn't sound anything like him and honestly his portrayal of Nixon is really not authentic what so ever. Langela plays Nixon as a flawed but very arrogant and sure of himself guy, which is not the case. Nixon was not only flawed, but socially awkward, depressed, introverted, self conscious and flat out strange. The portrayal is just all wrong in my opinion. Michael Sheen does a fantastic job playing David Frost however and I highly enjoyed his performance. The movie itself for a hardcore Nixon or political fan of this period, is probably something right up your alley. But does this topic have enough substance for a major motion picture that spans 2 hours ? Not a chance. I found myself getting bored with this movie rather quickly. If you want to watch a movie about Nixon do yourself a favor and just watch Nixon by Oliver Stone, or go even a step further and watch the real actual interviews that this movie is based upon.
½ February 22, 2012
I suppose you can do a lot worse when considering it is just two people talking most of he time.
½ October 11, 2015
A compelling boxing match of a film that finds its strengths through the two lead performances...
½ August 24, 2015
One of the best films from 2008. Another Ron Howard classic depicting the 12 day interview between Richard Nixon and Frost. Langella absolutely crushes this as Nixon as does Martin Sheen as Frost setting up an explosive final act. Along with a stellar supporting cast from the likes of Kevin Bacon and Sam Rockwell, direction by Ron Howard, cinematography and script that are all top notch, this is truly another ace of a film by Howard.
September 27, 2015
Electric performances under an excellent script and direction. The picture brings important questions to mind of the morals and ethics of politics and journalism.
September 16, 2015
Frank Langella as Nixon is perfect.
December 12, 2008
frank langella and ron howard have my oscar votes
½ December 6, 2008
Intriguing! Brilliant casting!
½ August 2, 2015
A very well done film, with outstanding performances.
June 21, 2015
Great piece of American history told in this greatly made historically accurate film. It's not most entertaining but truthful, but intriguing.
June 7, 2015
Brilliantly made and edited. Slow but NOT boring. Powerful yet subtle background score. The acting was among the finest I've seen, with both the main characters excelling in both verbal and non-verbal scenes. This movie is among my TOP 25.

Highly recommended.