• R, 2 hr. 3 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Frost/Nixon Reviews

August 19, 2013
A riveting film despite it being a very simple subject matter of an interview. The depth and complexity of the subject shines out.
January 21, 2014
received five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Director. based on true story movie. starting with footage on real event in news and document video form. semi documentary apporach make this movie very interesting,but the oppinion gave by each actor represent the real figures. we can see the similar approach like"Bernie". the story is about Richard Nixon (Frank Langella) administration which full of scandal and controversy, what is the controversy he made? he corrupt and let all American people down,called "Watergate". this movie focus on historical interview between David Frost (Martin Sheen) and Richard Nixon. the interview made and host by David Frost one of the most popular host in Australia in that era. The interview has objective to reveals what exactly happen in this scandal and the most important is Richard Nixon feeling about that scandal.very outstanding and non pro pefromances by two main cast,strong character and totality for the act. very great movie and very entertaining two. gived us the lesson of the story. five stars for this movie!
topjim
January 4, 2014
Gripping movie about an interview. I don't know alot about all this stuff but the movie made me watch the interview for real on youtube, and what a boring fucking interview it was too. American presidents are always so bland. Much prefered the actor who played Nixon in the movie
TheFeldster
December 26, 2013
"Frost/Nixon" stands as one of the greatest political thrillers of all-time, focusing heavily on a series of interviews between disgraced former US President Richard Nixon and recently departed British journalist David Frost. Portrayed to perfection by Frank Langella and Michael Sheen, respectively, and directed by veteran Ron Howard, this film puts a lot of weight into such a narrow subject matter.

By the end, even I, who had little respect for Nixon and his role in the Watergate scandal (and even less respect for this ridiculous trend of adding "-gate" to the end of every controversy since.... enough is enough already), I was starting to feel real sympathy for the former President, or moreso the broken man he had become.

The supporting cast also adds a lot of weight, with quality actors such as Kevin Bacon, Sam Rockwell and Matthew Macfadyen adding their own influences to the film.

Comes highly recommended.
November 6, 2013
i give Ron Howard a lot of flack, but this is easily his finest achievement
November 2, 2013
Ron Howard's path breaking engaging political thriller
October 23, 2013
I wasn't expecting to find this as interesting as I did. But Michael Sheen has such a brilliant screen presence. Is there nobody he cannot impersonate?! Seemingly not. I also thought Frank Langella was excellent as Richard Nixon. I particulary liked how the story was told as part of a documentary with people being interviewed. I don't know much about Watergate, but this film has inspired me to find out more.
October 21, 2013
Really disappointing to find that despite all the stuff about Frost's razor sharp wit and interviewing skills, Frost was a bit of a bumbling rabbit in the headlights and Nixon's 'apology' came from previously unfound research and not Frost's questioning. An interesting story, told well (particularly as it is true), but it turns out the true story isn't as big a deal as first thought (even if the legacy was).
October 19, 2013
Smart, unique and interesting format, coupled with superb performances of Nixon that shows Nixon as strong, but sympathetic.
October 7, 2013
I couldn't think of one thing wrong with the movie. I enjoyed it.
September 26, 2013
Eine sehr gelungene Story und stimmig umgesetzt! Die Schauspieler sind Klasse! Die Maske und Set schwelgen förmlich in der Vergangenheit! Ab und zu hat es ein paar Hänger drin, was zum Abschweifen führt. Sonst ist es ein wahres Rededuell und eine gute Unterhaltung!
Tom M.
January 11, 2013
A powerful and gripping recreation of one of the most significant events in the history of broadcast journalism. The battle of wits between Nixon and Frost is brought vividly to life thanks mainly to a strong script by Peter Morgan and two exemplary performances from Frank Langella and Martin Sheen and thanks to the subtle and tight direction of Ron Howard Frost/Nixon remains ever less than enthralling.
Jake B

March 3, 2009
A quick paced and fascinating slice of history that includes two brilliant performances from Michael Sheen and Frank Langella. Langella is truly the best reason to seek this film out. He portrays Nixon, not as a caricature, but as a complete man, conflicted and pathetic. When viewing Frost/Nixon the very idea of the actual Nixon completely left me, as I sat convinced he was up there on the screen.
John B

September 3, 2013
I write this note upon hearing of David Frost's death. I knew of Frost as a respected interviewer and was unaware of his tabloid like beginnings until I saw this film. Langella and Sheen are two of the most talented actors on the planet and they succeed in breathing life into these characters which results in a good impact.
September 1, 2013
Why didn't you not burn the taps?
June 10, 2009
an excellent/amazing drama,cleverly done with a mixture of the people involved giving their interviews years later

great cast especially the 2 leads, its the attention to detail they put into the film to make it look & feel exactly like the 70s

still such a great drama
August 30, 2013
A fascinating low-key epic.
Allen G.
August 18, 2013
I'm going to be the bad guy here and say that this was a pretty big disappointment. The problem really lies in what this is about- the interviews between Frost and Nixon, that's really the source material, never mind the stage play for a minute. Now, the reality is that what is depicted in this film is pretty different from what actually happened. For me, it takes its artistic licence a bit too far to the extent that what we get here, is actually less-effective than what actually happened.

Firstly though, I have to say that the performances here didn't really do much for me. Sheen didn't really seem like Frost at all with his performance suggesting a man relatively unable to go face to face with Nixon but in reality he was very much present and aware and that's not really shown enough here, it feels held back for dramatic purposes and leaves Frost's character feeling somewhat stale in comparison to Nixon.

Langella certainly makes for a convincing Nixon but his performance feels suited to another film altogether- save the 'spirit of the man' kind of performance for a biopic, because this is supposed to be a retelling of a fairly short period of time during which Nixon behaved in a specific way and here it feels like that is ignored and replaced instead with a dramatization of Nixon that, while strong, feels more like a vague imitation of the real Nixon mixed with a different person entirely. The acting may be strong but all of the precise characteristics of Nixon feel missing. It feels like a cut-out more than a true depiction.

On top of that, there's not much else going on performance-wise that's really trying to be impactful. Bacon's character feels cliché and Rockwell isn't having to do much out of the normal with his part. It all feels a bit too mechanical and hyped-up which suggests to me that the film didn't feel confident enough to deliver on its premise in a realistic way and instead had to resort to some of the typical Hollywoodized approaches such as you might find in an, um... Ron Howard movie.

The next issue is historical stuff- sure this isn't a documentary and it has to be entertaining but everywhere you look, things seem manipulated as if trying to squeeze life out of a dead-on-arrival idea. The film dismisses Frost's first interviews as failures in order to build up to the final one but in reality they were all well-conducted, Nixon's defences of his actions are often cut out here and the dialogue is cropped to make it seem as if he was more revealing than he really was, there's a completely fabricated phone call that is clearly there to try and create tension that didn't really exist, it's implied that Frost felt unhappy with his performances at first which is again untrue- it's clutching at straws really and worst yet, some of the truly fascinating events that did occur in the final interview, are watered-down here take for example Nixon's attempts to lower the pressure by trying to be funny at crucial points in the interview.

Take it further still- were the events themselves really deserving of a film? A dramatic re-enactment of some television interviews? The big stuff happens before this film starts- Watergate is over with as is Nixon's presidency. Sure, the interviews got strong ratings and for good reason too but are we going to see a series of films based on interviews with political figures because that'd get older than the Fast & Furious franchise in a heartbeat?

Anyway, I've covered the stuff I take issue with but that was certainly a little one-sided. Overall, it's an entirely fine experience- if you have only a passing interest in the events then you might enjoy this portrayal and if we imagine the performances were of fictional characters then they'd all be good. It is also a drama so it's not entirely fair to pick out all of its inaccuracies when it's only trying to make the experience better. The script is good at getting a lot of the bigger stuff in there and certainly at building it all up and it's both eloquent and witty and as a stand-alone element, possibly the strongest feature of the film.

The story is interesting enough to be entertaining and the glossy visuals seem to fit well with Frost and make Nixon seem out of his comfort zone just by being in the film which is an interesting thing to see. It's also well-shot and flies by considering it hits the two-hour mark. It has the marks of experience that you'd expect from Howard and so even with all the issues, there's never an unpleasant experience.

The strong execution of the technical elements is enough to give this one a fresh rating but I'm still left feeling like it's a mountain out of a molehill- things are put here that never happened and everything feels desperate to meet your expectations but if you've seen the interviews then you already know what happens and will take nothing from this at all. If you just want a strong drama and dismiss entirely that this is based on real events, then it still doesn't seem to cut it because the story just isn't big enough- there's one section of real, harrowing, stuff and it's not enough to justify two-hours of film. This story makes a lot of sense as a play but on film, well it'd already been done- the real interviews.

Better recording and some actors to re-enact the thing in brief isn't bringing anything new to the table. I can see how the tension could fill a theatre, how a condensed re-telling of a minor moment in history could make for a good evening out but the cameras here capture little that's truly impactful and when such occurrences arrive they are too contrived. This is neither a bad nor good film- it's a bad film idea trying to be a good film. What's left is entirely OK but nothing more.
Ascension
August 3, 2013
Proves that words can be far more exciting than a million space battles or heist scenes.
July 21, 2013
A fierce political drama, Frost/Nixon revitalizes the controversy that engulfed the malfeasant President Nixon