Movies Like Full Frontal

Full Frontal Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

January 30, 2012
When you have been working for many years, and are one of the most versatile and prolific filmmakers out there, it only seems inevitable that eventually you'll produce a work that's bad, if not almost totally awful.

That is the case here with this mess from Steven Soderbergh.

Shot primarily on digital, this is a loose ensemble piece executed in a manner loosely based on the Dogma 95 movement, as well as the French New Wave to an extent.

We get multiple threads following a bunch of people all invited to the party of a mutual friend. We weave in and out of these various subplots, but the one that seems to linger the most involves an actor and actress working on a movie directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt (who both appear as themselves). Throughout the movie we are treated to this film within a film as well.

I really wanted to like this, not just because it's Soderbergh, but because of its reputation. I'm sorry to say that I'm going with the crowd on this one. Sometimes I like loose, breezy plot-light films ,but here it's just dull, meandering, and pretentious. It also really looks like crap, being shot on digital and all, and it's more frustrating since the film within the film is shot to look like a regular movie, making it distracting.

I'm also okay with movies that blur the line between reality and not, but here it's just an incoherent mess.

The actors make it worth it, hence why my grade isn't lower, and I do like the playful jabs at Fincher's obsessive compulsion to shoot take after take, but bottom line, I'm just gonna chalk this one up to being a nice idea that just fell apart.

Some of this is interesting, and if it were shorter, it'd be a little easier to swallow, but in the end, I'm just gonna thank everyone from trying, and hope they learn their lesson.
Michael S

September 21, 2007
I'll never understand the universal hate of Full Frontal; it's a good movie.
Michael G

October 27, 2006
If you're in the mood for random weirdness look no further.
Laura C

November 29, 2009
Comes across as trying a little too hard to be edgy. I did however find myself drawn to some characters and situations in particular. I especially liked the scenes with David Hyde Pierce and the veterinarian.
zeravenyoej
zeravenyoej

September 1, 2008
Ugh...so annoying/boring. I was more entertained by the special features. Btw, the cast credits are misleading....David Duchovony only has one scene.
Sunil J

March 15, 2009
Just weird and not good. I didn't understand the point so maybe years from now I could try again and love it.
December 27, 2011
Interestingly reminiscent of "Sex, Lies, and Videotape." This is a movie that seems like it will probably take many viewings to appreciate, but bits and pieces of it are pretty terrific right now. It's a bit too disjointed for its own good, I think.
July 21, 2009
Much like "The Rules of Attraction" Full Frontal was a film I remember being praised as the end all be all of movies, even before it's release. Both Failed so miserably that I know some critics lost their jobs or had to re-think how they review movies, mainly movies they haven't seen yet.

I didn't like this one.
February 11, 2007
5-26-08 --A mixmash of people and their F'd up lives in Hollywood as actors/writers and anyone that surrounds them. I thought this movie would be better considering the amount of "good" actors in it. I was confused and frustrated with the cinematography and nothing made sense. boo!
May 25, 2007
Now I'm all for the obscure indie film riddled with huge stars just as much as the next starbucks loving wannabe. But this movie was rediculous. Though the movie did prove my point that Julia Roberts is one of the most overrated actresses I have ever seen in my life (Not saying she sucks, just saying people give her WAY too much credit). I admit, the movie starts out rather intelligently. The only problem with the movie is.... It continued. The movie had no REAL plot. Nobody knows what the plot is. I know this because I asked everyone I know who has seen the movie what they think the plot is and she said that she thought the movie was about John Malkovich (She's a bit slow). The cast is filled with actors that I used to like but now have lost respect for since seeing that movie (Except Brad Pitt. After Fight Club and Snatch he can do no wrong... I think). What annoyed me most about the film is that half of the movie is shot in honest to god film while the rest is shot in crap video. it disorients the story telling..... if there was a story. Oh Yeah and David Duchovney gets a hand job. Finally I get to see the most boring and bland of celebrities get jerked off in a rather cold setting. Fuck you whoever wrote that into the movie. By the time the film is over everyone gets fucked by somebody in one fashion or another... Except for Brad Pitt who I'm sure at the time was off screen covering his eyes, shaking his head, and hoping it was all a bad dream.
September 11, 2006
Not a very good film. It lacks a lot. It promises a lot and just doesnt' give it to people. The conversations are poorly written for the first time in Soderbergh's career he doesn't make a good movie.
July 1, 2006
Picked up this movie the other day and said "hmmm, have I seen this?" Popped it in the DVD player when I got home and realized YEAH I did see this! I guess it wasn't that great to remember.
October 7, 2013
I watched this movie with my father (Apparently, he misunderstood the title as Julia Roberts doing a "Full Frontal") This movie was a living migraine. Either that, or it was the brain freeze I got from the theater slushy. Poor filming in areas and confusing seen shifts made this the hardest movies to live through. Avoid, if possible. Though, I may still buy the DVD so I can show mom that Julia Roberts did do a bad movie. (She claims JR never did a bad one)
October 31, 2007
The best you can say about Full Frontal, an ensemble piece that flirts with ideas about illusion and reality, is that the movie qualifies as a failed experiment.
filmlover1994
June 17, 2013
I'll Shoot On High-Definition Video Rather Than 35mm Film, I'll Use The Panavision Genesis To Shoot All Of My Feature-Length Films Which I Wrote And Directed Under My Film Directing Name ''David East'', I'll Photographed All Them Digitally Under My Director Of Photography Name ''Carl Manners'', And I'll Edit All Of Them With An Apple Final Cut Pro X Under My Film Editor Name ''Peter Pierce''.
May 20, 2013
Steven Soderbergh's body of work is varied and always, ALWAYS worth watching. This is one of my favourite movies of all time - if you didn't like it, you just didn't get it!
Thomas W.
December 7, 2012
On paper, the plot of 'Full Frontal' is relatively complex and to a degree, interesting. The resulting "Film-inside-a-film", while to a point enjoyably meta and creative, ends up being nothing more than a skewed, overly fragmented, and poorly shot, low quality mockumentary which (poorly) attempts to plum the depths of the underworld inherent within the industry.

Final Grade: D+
July 12, 2012
The only truly bad Sodebergh movie.
June 20, 2012
Smart, funny, mysterious, and playful. Beautifully complex performances and the best portrayal, by far, of HItler ever. And then the ending happens.
April 28, 2012
Saw this one a while ago but I really think it deserves more than 5.2/10
specially when you love movies about California and/or Hollywood, this one is pretty descent and believable thanks to a good roster of actors and smart script.