Fun Size - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fun Size Reviews

August 15, 2015
Victoria Justice and Jane Levy are something to look at, but the film itself is Un-fun Sized.
July 29, 2015
Average flick about a teen's Halloween night gone wrong, with the requisite high school antics and types: the hot girl who's inexplicably unpopular, the academic nerd who pines for her, her sassyfrassy, social-climbing best friend, the grieving-through-partying absent mother, and the mute little brother who goes missing but not before befriending a variety of party miscreants. It's all rather low stakes, but the emotional reveal about Ren's late father is better than the rest of the movie.
½ June 11, 2015
En que carajos pensaban que sería una buena idea hacer una película donde recurra al uso de: humor adulto, blasfemia (groserias), contenido sexual, alcoholismo y uso de drogas... en una producción de NICKELODEON??!!
April 1, 2015
I was on netflix and this seemed interesting. I watched it and was happy with who Wren ended up with. Such a quirky movie
March 22, 2015
Why would Nickelodian put their name on a foul mouthed pg-13 movie, knowing kids would want to see it?
½ March 20, 2015
nothing special-kind of goofy at times,but o.k.and watchable.not worth watching a second though.
½ March 13, 2015
This was an alright movie that had quite a few laughs but was also filled with some very unlikeable characters.
It had a good cast and at times was very smart.
Victoria Justice was good as the lead and I liked the use of the Beastie Boys and Def Jam.
½ December 19, 2014
Harmless fun and enjoyable for kids.
December 17, 2014
The epitome of a lazy, uneven, bad teen comedies.
½ September 6, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

I had low expectations for this film as the poster and the trailer seemed like it is a passable, throwaway film. Fun Size was exactly just that, a film that splits my feelings right down the middle and lacking enough memorable elements to convince me of coming back to it.

The plot of Fun Size, at first, takes inspiration from the high school films of the 80s and 90s, mostly the former, and it is about Wren and April who gets invited to a party at Halloween but instead was forced to watch over Wren's younger brother, Albert. In the middle of trick of treating, the girls end up losing Albert and they have to find him before Wren's mother comes home. After reading that premise, one can easily tell how this film would turn out. The film fails to bring anything unique to its story, it doesn't contain that particular element that makes it stand out above the trillion of films just like it released in this decade. The film sets up quite a bit of characterisation of its protagonist but once the central complication hits, the film practically forgets all of that, until the very end of course where it has to wrap itself up a bit too neatly. The film also features an antagonist that felt inappropriate to the type of characters that the audiences are following.

Though I did have some fun with it as some of the film's comedy does land and a couple of the film's characters were written and directed in such an appealing way that the story they are trying to tell was, at times, forgivable. Though the comedy at times worked, I was a bit taken back by a couple of its humour as some were driven with sexual intent. I only feel this way because I am watching a Nickelodeon production and I never thought they would allow it to be so risqué. The film's tone is essentially split into two with the first half of the film being the typical high school-style of comedy that reminds me of Sixteen Candles and Dazed and Confused but the second half moves towards the dramatics and the comedy is much more subtle, especially after the film's climax; it was like I was watching a scene from an indie-Sundance film. Though the events after the climax did feel effective in having us care for its characters, it feels too out of place after everything the audience has just went through.

Fun Size isn't noteworthy and I don't plan on watching it ever again but its risqué humour and watchable characters allow it to be on par with the average in its genre.
August 18, 2014
victoria justice is awesome, but the movie was pretty bad.
½ August 8, 2014
An avenger on Halloween. I've seen a lot of 80s/early 90s movies that had this type of premise. Not bad.
½ July 16, 2014
I'm showing it no mercy, it was that bad. I felt like the characters were either drunk or high on cocaine. In fact, I had a suspicion that one character licked a mysterious substance. The jokes were clichéd and unfunny and it is just an ugly picture to watch. If I can only sympathize with a little kid, the characters have problems here. Which reminds me, the characters are either pretentious or narcissistic. Plus, this film is really mean spirited, even for a PG-13 kids film. I really hated this one. Fuck you Nickelodeon!
½ November 27, 2013
"It's pure Nickelodeon stuff: bubblegum high jinks that's short on laughs but also, mercifully, shy on offending, too."
½ September 17, 2012
Generic but harmless.
½ June 6, 2014
thought I'd hate this one and that is was just a kid's movie and it is but it is much more than that.
June 6, 2014
There are moments during the amiable teen comedy Fun Size when you may wonder if it's based on an existing property, like a TV show or a comic book or something. Imagine "Little Miss Sunshine's" dark materials (and superior craftsmanship) diluted with a Hannah Montana-like sunny silliness - which is to say: sometimes funny, often broad-stroked, ever sweet, and landing shy of its potential. It's pure Nickelodeon stuff: bubblegum high jinks that's short on guffaws but also, mercifully, shy on offending, too. Johnny Knoxville puts in a forgettable cameo. Still, it's hard not to think that there's a darker, funnier movie in there waiting to get out. In the meantime, we'll always have the humping chicken. By the end of this romp, Fun Size actually accomplished something charming: sentimentality without normality. Well written but weakly executed, it's hard to imagine anyone is going to cherish the film, if they even remember it in three months' time. Funny stuff happens in all three storylines, which wind together toward a conclusion that is satisfying and, as befits a comedy whose title comes from candy bars, sweet. Compared to most teen comedies these days, Fun Size is almost touchingly tame.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
½ February 24, 2014
This Nickelodeon teen gross-out comedy only offered a couple laughs. Neither the characters nor plot feel like they are going anywhere.
April 27, 2014
A film that just has cash grab written all over it. Really don't need to explain a lot about why this movie sucks except that it full of unfunny jokes, crappy acting from the supporting cast, is forgettable, and was a failed attempt at trying to get enough Nickelodeon die hards into the seats because of the very low box office results. I will give it one star just because I thought there was some good drama towards the end and the little kid Jackson Nicoll was charming at parts, but I am glad this wasn't quite as bad as some of the other films that came out in 2012.
March 22, 2014
Different/Weird/Not Bad/Just OK/Kinda like, but didn't.